Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216666 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1575 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:53 am »

British politics has acquired some Australian driftwood lately in the forms of John Mcternan, who is running the disastrous Scottish Labour campaign (looking at losing nearly ALL of their seats in early May), and Lynton Crosby, who is running the disastrous Conservative campaign for David Cameron. Can any Australians fill me in on their Australian careers?

Lynton Crosby was the bloke who suggested the Howard Government say during the "children overboard" scandal that the migrant ships had been throwing children overboard as they sunk, even though no such thing happened.

McTernan was apparently a british citizen on a 457 visa, or maybe he wasn't, he evaded every question. A radio host once asked him "are you working on a 457?" to which he said it was "hardly fucking relevant".

I hope that sums them up for you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:33 am »

I'd heard McTernan had a "colourful" career while he was working for Gillard. Crosby sounds utterly despicable though - the fact our press hasn't skewered Cameron over the migrant thing shows how supine it is.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 23, 2015, 08:01:22 am »

2013: The Australian Climate Commission, most well known for the very clear, concise amounts of scientific research they published supporting climate change and the need for action, is axed by the Abbott government on his first day in office. It is explained that the $1.6 million is needed elsewhere and their funding cannot continue.

2014: Tony Abbott and his chief of staff Peta Credlin personally drive the decision to fund a think tank headed by climate change contrarian Bjørn Lomborg. Lomborg’s work over the years has routinely underplayed the importance of climate change and its impacts.

2015: $4 million is given to the construction of Lomborg’s Copenhagen Consensus Centre (CCC) at the University of Western Australia. Lomborg has said that his Australia Consensus Centre will look at climate change, but it won’t be a big part of what it does.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/prime-minister-tony-abbotts-office-the-origin-for-controversial-bjorn-lomborg-centre-decision-20150423-1mrha2.html

::)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 06, 2015, 10:40:27 am »

Why the wtf? Do you take the ramblings of every random academic seriously? Notice the light style of the writing. It's not written to be taken particularly serious. It only made print because it's a controversial view point & thus mildly interesting.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 08, 2015, 06:00:35 pm »

Despite being a government funded organization luckily the ABC is very independent regarding what it produces, the government has no say. While it means you get occasionally weird blog pieces like that thrown up on there, it also means we get some wonderful news and programming, a net benefit in all.

Regarding the adviser?
I have no words.
Magma is overrated.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 08, 2015, 07:53:09 pm »

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/new-family-values/6437058

wtf australia
We're currently dealing with one of the worst governments we've had in a while. Shark culls in WA, selling the GBR for untaxable profit, etc. They're at a 30% approval rating at the moment, I think.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 08, 2015, 09:58:09 pm »

One thing I never understood- WHY is an NWO bad, as such? I mean, if they decide to commit genocide, blackmail and such, yes, but uniting the world under one banner would hardly be a bad thing itself...
Lizard people and they took dere guuuuuuns/jerbs/non-musselmen-peoplez or something. :v

It's conspiracy theorists, why are you expecting sense?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 09, 2015, 12:33:18 am »

New world orders imply change, and most people don't like that sort of change I'm guessing?

Another plausible reason could be that a single banner typically suggests a totalitarian world government system, which many people aren't a fan of either.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 09, 2015, 01:10:40 am »

Quote from: Andres link=topic=124253.msg6218326#msg6218326
We're currently dealing with one of the worst governments we've had in a while. Shark culls in WA, selling the GBR for untaxable profit, etc. They're at a 30% approval rating at the moment, I think.

Yeah though unfortunately they were unpopular at the last election & people still voted them in. The opposition actually has to present a viable candidate.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:28 am »

TONY NO
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 14, 2015, 12:03:47 pm »

Mixed feelings about that news. Where's the comedy gold in Turnbull?

One interesting theory is that the timing of the 12000 Syrian refugees was not accidental, and was designed to boost Abbotts image just before the polls.

~~~

British politics has acquired some Australian driftwood lately in the forms of John Mcternan, who is running the disastrous Scottish Labour campaign (looking at losing nearly ALL of their seats in early May), and Lynton Crosby, who is running the disastrous Conservative campaign for David Cameron. Can any Australians fill me in on their Australian careers?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:33:29 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 14, 2015, 03:15:48 pm »

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:18:06 pm by redwallzyl »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »

The icing on the cake is that he got ousted 4 days before his two-year anniversary, so the articles can truthfully say "after less than two years".
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 163