Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216664 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1560 on: February 20, 2015, 08:39:28 am »

Is it low salt or low sodium?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:51 am »

How would you produce salt with less sodium? More chlorine?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:50 pm »

Obviously you'd use different kinds of salts. Like lead salts. Okay, maybe not lead salts but other options do exist outside of the classic NaCl salt.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09:05 pm »

So, it has less salt, but is still just as salty? What is this!? D:
I need to science some onto toast!

It's less % salt by weight. It used to be 10% by weight, which was reduced to 4% by weight at some point in the 90s, then they wish to reduce it further.

Obviously you'd use different kinds of salts. Like lead salts. Okay, maybe not lead salts but other options do exist outside of the classic NaCl salt.

There are a few options besides NaCl that are fit for human consumption and have the same taste. Potassium chloride (KCl) has a similar (though slightly metallic) taste, and a similar LD50 to table salt.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »

Next they'll be trying to get us to drink low strength beer.

Fun fact; they tried to do that to VB (drop the % by 0.5, and the volume by a few ml as well). It saw VB rapidly drop from first place. After a while they bumped it back to original values, and hey presto, top market share once more.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 22, 2015, 06:02:59 am »

We'll ignore common sense and elect our current government, but drop the alcohol in VB and suddenly everyone's paying attention. Kind of sums up the Australian public doesn't it?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 22, 2015, 06:12:53 am »

Because not buying a certain type of beer after it changes is suuuuch a big change. :U
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 22, 2015, 07:17:38 am »

Because not buying a certain type of beer after it changes is suuuuch a big change. :U

To the lifetime VB/XXXX/Export/etc drinker, it actually kinda is. If politicians will always be bastards, it doesn't matter who's in charge, but most of these guys have been drinking their chosen tipple since before we were born... that builds up serious mindshare.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 22, 2015, 02:51:44 pm »

True enough, but if it's been changed, it can be a simple matter of "They betrayed me!" and then switch beer. >_>
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 22, 2015, 04:11:14 pm »

Everything sounds like a simple matter when you say it's a simple matter though.
We accidental voted in an imbecile, so we simply vote him out next election.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 22, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »

Hrm. I guess. I was going to say that there's not really any coordination involved in beer-buying that there needs to be in a voting campaign, but the same logic applies.

Though I will say that while there is loyalty in both, in beer it's to a specific taste generally, and there's only one of it. If it changes, you've been betrayed and are amenable to switch.

But in party-politics, especially if it's anything like the Canadian system (we vote for our local representatives in parliament, and their numbers decides who governs. We don't vote for the prime minister, he's just the result of how many seats his party gets) then it's a rationalization of "I don't like that guy, but I like his party, and that's more important," and "I didn't vote for Abbot, I voted for [local representative of Abbot's party]! So it isn't MY fault."

Loyalty to the party can supersede whether or not you find the head honcho a cock or not. They're separable, while in beer it isn't.

... This is a really silly conversation, anyone else realize that?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 23, 2015, 05:45:11 pm »

The support for Abbott worsens.

At least seven ministers who previously supported Abbott in the spill motion (which went 61-39 overall) have changed their tune, and are now saying he should be removed (disclosing on condition of anonymity). This dissension includes people in the actual cabinet, mind. Perhaps most damningly, this seven member swing was from only 11 MPs asked; while it is almost certainly not a representational sampling, also is it unlikely that these are the only 7 who have changed their minds.

The word is another spill after NSW election, likely June.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 01, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »

Aussies are a patriotic people. Rather than wait for the metadata laws to be introduced, enterprising individuals have started helping Attorney-General Brandis kick off his data collection.

http://www.beyondgreen.net.au/curious_george

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23:02 pm »

It may be their middle name, but the Palmer United Party is struggling with unity, it seems. What was once the largest swing bloc in the senate has now crumbled to a single senator, with Glenn Lazarus splitting from PUP following the sacking of his wife. Given they used to command 3 PUP senate votes and effectively Ricky Muir as well, Palmer and Dio Wang have suddenly become a lot less important to the political scene.

It will be interesting to see how Senator Lazarus votes away from Palmer's influence. He always struck me as a bit of a mercenary, but who knows, maybe that was just him being possessed by the Palmer.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:59 am »

British politics has acquired some Australian driftwood lately in the forms of John Mcternan, who is running the disastrous Scottish Labour campaign (looking at losing nearly ALL of their seats in early May), and Lynton Crosby, who is running the disastrous Conservative campaign for David Cameron. Can any Australians fill me in on their Australian careers?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:19:41 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 163