Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216633 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1530 on: December 16, 2014, 03:34:12 am »

I find it interesting to note the reaction to this, in context that we had the Port Arthur Massacre less than 20 years ago, though i suppose it could be partly due to the location.

You'd think this is the first time we've had one
Magma is overrated.

Yannanth

« Reply #1531 on: December 25, 2014, 06:43:56 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:17:22 pm by Yannanth »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:56 am »

My state is making me vote again this month. Damn them for ruining a perfectly good Saturday.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: January 23, 2015, 12:18:32 am »

Oh snap!
*Gets popcorn*
This is gunna be good.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 23, 2015, 02:50:29 am »

I found this one more interesting
Magma is overrated.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: January 23, 2015, 03:53:20 am »

I found this one more interesting

Semi-religious belief? Seriously? Fuck that guy.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: January 23, 2015, 02:12:09 pm »

I read about a couple of areas clogged with plastic out in the pacific, enough so that it's a hazard to shipping, animals and tourism. One of them is apparently twice the size of Texas. In other words we have chucked so much junk into the ocean in the last century that it's now forming it's own small continent.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 23, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »

Is that a real possibility? I guess the junk could settle atop coral reefs and slowly compactify, forming some interesting new carbon-based minerals...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:13 pm »

If you were to go into the patch, you don't see anything like hills of garbage or anything. But if you were to strain a sample of water, you'd see small, bleached, decaying flecks of plastic as it disintegrates in the sun and water. But it doesn't degrade chemically, just into smaller and smaller pieces, which then get eaten.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »

And then clogs up the digestive system of those animals. And then the animals that eat them. And then the animals that est them. And so on until everyone is plastic. It's fantastic. You van brush my hair, and dre- wait, no. I got distracted.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: January 23, 2015, 07:51:18 pm »

And so on until everyone is plastic. It's fantastic. You van brush my hair, and dre- wait, no. I got distracted.
Scriver confirmed for man of taste. Bad taste, but taste nonetheless.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: January 23, 2015, 08:27:33 pm »

If you were to go into the patch, you don't see anything like hills of garbage or anything. But if you were to strain a sample of water, you'd see small, bleached, decaying flecks of plastic as it disintegrates in the sun and water. But it doesn't degrade chemically, just into smaller and smaller pieces, which then get eaten.

I vaguely remember hearing about a bacteria that could consume low quantities of plastic safely. Don't have anything to back it up though, sadly.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: January 25, 2015, 05:32:09 am »

The are more than one type of plastic-eating bacteria. This is the marine one:

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/plastic-eating-microbes-help-marine-debris-sink-140619.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria

The nylon-eating bacteria is interesting because the enzyme it uses to eat the nylon is from a specific mutation we can track - an existing gene for another function got duplicated in a copying error, but there was a frameshift by 1 DNA base which means the actual amino acids it codes for got scrambled. the new protein just happened to be able to turn nylon into something edible by pure chance. The bacteria were an existing strain that just happened to be living in a waste water pond at a nylon factory.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:34:32 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 25, 2015, 05:42:25 am »

In this case it also shows how the same mutation can beneficial in the right circumstances but harmful to competitive survival otherwise.

This same nylonase mutation must have happened countless times before. But secreting nylonase enzyme is only beneficial if you are a bacteria living in a pond full of nylon particles. If you live anywhere else, it's detrimental since you're expending energy making a chemical which isn't helping, so non-mutated bacteria out breed you. Making the nylonase itself is probably benign to the orgamism, but it's harmful in a competitive sense.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 03, 2015, 02:57:28 pm »

Oh hey, just finished marathoning thread cuz I like reading things.

thoughts:

That Abbot guy may or may not be full evil. Clive Palmer is some sort of magnificent bastard, and Scott Ludlam is amazing.

Also Australia has a Sex Party and that is amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 163