Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215148 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1230 on: February 22, 2014, 09:29:48 pm »

There has not now been a successful people-smuggling venture to Australia for 64 days

People died and got beaten but THANK GOD there are no more boats!
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 22, 2014, 10:25:17 pm »

Christ, and they say my country has problems.

You guys seem under the mistaken impression that the riots and killings are in Australia. Not correct. They're in a neighboring third-world country. Our problems are purely right-wing governments, not crazed mobs in the streets (America has us beat for street violence by a mile).

Manus Island isn't actually in Australia, it's in Papua New Guinea. The situation is roughly equivalent to, say, having riots in Panama, because the USA dumped illegal immigrants there. Except, the USA has a lot more control in Panama than Australia does in Papua New Guinea.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:34:25 pm by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 22, 2014, 10:33:01 pm »

Guantanamo is in Cuba and people still say "WTF America?"
It is kind of a public expectations thing, people just expect a country to keep some standards in their prisons, even the offshore ones.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 22, 2014, 10:46:32 pm »

Guantanamo is in Cuba and people still say "WTF America?"
It is kind of a public expectations thing, people just expect a country to keep some standards in their prisons, even the offshore ones.

Well, I was only going off the details you wrote about the deaths at Manus - that they were due to locals attacking the camp. That was what everyone in this thread was reacting to with "WTF Australia?" etc. Pointing out that this facility is not in Australia and that the attackers were not Australian citizens is relevant to that discussion.

Hell, the company that operates the camp isn't even Australian, and additional security is provided by the PNG Police force. You can make the case that Australia has dropped the ball by letting other people run the camp, but it's not specifically a "thing" that Australians are operating. Not in the sense that Guantanamo is operated by the US government.

Now, if you want to make the case that conditions at the camp are the problem, that's another discussion entirely, but you never made that point when you brought it up.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:51:45 pm by Reelya »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:03 pm »

As a person who was very nearly close to entering the American prison system, I must say that it was actually quite civilized, despite popular perception from movies and such. It's not as bad as it seems, but it is also twice as bad as you would believe. :/
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 22, 2014, 11:07:56 pm »

Well, I was only going off the details you wrote about the deaths at Manus - that they were due to locals attacking the camp. That was what everyone in this thread was reacting to with "WTF Australia?" etc. Pointing out that this facility is not in Australia and that the attackers were not Australian citizens is relevant to that discussion.

Hell, the company that operates the camp isn't even Australian, and additional security is provided by the PNG Police force. You can make the case that Australia has dropped the ball by letting other people run the camp, but it's not specifically a "thing" that Australians are operating. Not in the sense that Guantanamo is operated by the US government.

Now, if you want to make the case that conditions at the camp are the problem, that's another discussion entirely, but you never made that point when you brought it up.
Ok, well I'm giving things from an Australian perspective, and just about everybody here knows that Manus island is in PNG, so yea, sorry if anybody had the misconception that this was on Aus soil... I still think that "WTF Australia" is a somewhat valid statement to make though. A man who was in the protective custody of the Australian government has allegedly died at the hands of an angry, knife wielding mob, in totally preventable circumstances.

As a person who was very nearly close to entering the American prison system, I must say that it was actually quite civilized, despite popular perception from movies and such. It's not as bad as it seems, but it is also twice as bad as you would believe. :/
I know people who have been in minimum security here, mostly on drug related charges, and they all say it is actually not bad at all. The kind of thing you would expect of a budget motel. The real disincentive is the lack of ability to get a job and earn money at that point, rather than any sort of harsh treatment.

Edit: In other news, MSH, do NOT read ahead. It will literally melt your brain.

Parents sending their children to primary school are angry that their children have been given religious material saying masturbation, sex before marriage, homosexuality and wearing revealing clothing are all bad.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 23, 2014, 01:17:56 am »

People in this thread are clearly not aware of what Manus Island is, because we have Americans in this thread thinking that there are violent mobs in Australia worse than anything the USA

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:18 am »

They've got Max, Reudh, Tart, and Blargh. I think they can at the very least compete with the US in terms of crazy mobs.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 23, 2014, 04:27:39 am »

They've got Max, Reudh, Tart, and Blargh. I think they can at the very least compete with the US in terms of crazy mobs.

I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU!

arghhghfghfgsdsshfgsgfhdsfghsghhhh
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 23, 2014, 04:29:41 am »

It's funny how easy it is to troll (and prove a point) with a single letter. :3

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 23, 2014, 04:31:55 am »

I don't know what you're talking about, Womar.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 23, 2014, 04:39:18 am »

Australia is now being told by the UN "Stop it, you're being an arsehole."

Before we blame the Liberals, let us remember that Manus Island was enacted under Labor.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 23, 2014, 04:40:18 am »

Still the damn liberals' fault for not letting labour do that on home turf.

(Guys am I politicking right?)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 23, 2014, 04:41:13 am »

... violent mobs in Australia worse than anything the USA
Aren't those called "bogans on Friday nights out"? :P

Jokes aside, I think every country has got their far right and far left groups, it's just how often their shit gets aired in mainstream media that influences what people think of those countries :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 23, 2014, 04:47:45 am »

Ok, so stuff is happening right now. Getup! has organised a protest major rally called 'Light The Dark' against the treatment of asylum seekers in light of the recent death and a few thousand people are blocking the streets of major cities. Still looking for news coverage, but #LightTheDark is currently the strongest twitter trend in Australia, with #Auspol, 'scott' and 'Morrison' also popular, and some photos going up. Not bad for 36 hours notice.
Not exactly what the Abbott government wants walking into the WA senate election.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 163