Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215130 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32:30 am »

I was joking. We don't see you as scary..except for that time you liberated East Timor, but nobody really hates you guys anymore thanks to your investments in Indonesia :D
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2013, 03:34:29 am »

Yea, we have made a few... mistakes. Both with over seas policy and onshore, but I would like to think we aren't perceived as scary.
Maybe a little offensive at times, but we aren't likely to invade anybody without provocation... Or the US doing it first.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38:03 am »

I'd not list East Timor as one of those mistakes, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2013, 03:48:54 am »

Thought experiment: USA/China go to war. Where does Australia land politically?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:36 am »

With the US of A and economically in the dog house. China vs USA is a loose/loose for us.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2013, 03:53:50 am »

With the US of A and economically in the dog house. China vs USA is a loose/loose for us.
Yeah tying up that mess would be a major hassle.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 04:05:38 am »

As someone who is technically Australian (I was born there and have a passport, but haven't lived there since I was two), I feel that I should know more than I do about Australian politics. What really throws be off is that the liberal party is less liberal than its opposition.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:30 am »

You just have to remember that 'liberal' actually means right wing over here. In that way, the liberal party is more liberal than labor, and much more liberal than the greens.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 04:17:10 am »

Thought experiment: USA/China go to war. Where does Australia land politically?
We would land hard on our face. Joining the US will lead us unto Chinese occupation. Joining China all our citizens would flip shit but I doubt the US would invade us for the amount of support they would lose. Lose/Lose.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2013, 04:22:24 am »

I doubt that China would so easily occupy us, at least not for certain. Not with the unholy behemoth that is the modern US military on our side ready to play 'Mutually assured destruction' game.
I would be interested who else would get in on the action though. Best Korea would be with China for certain, so I guess that means SK would be with us? They have reason to not want China marching south, right?
No idea who from Europe would come help, if anybody...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:22 am »

As someone who is technically Australian (I was born there and have a passport, but haven't lived there since I was two), I feel that I should know more than I do about Australian politics. What really throws be off is that the liberal party is less liberal than its opposition.

Liberal = conservative, liberal = Liberal. Its the little/big L rule. The Labor party are bording right of center too, so in Australia if it sounds left its right and if it sounds right its right.

Our politics is confusing, but seeing a non-Australian conservative (eg a Republican) rage against the Liberal party is always entertaining.

a bunch of arrogant racist busy-bodies meddling in their business.

Hey! Were not... um... erm...
God damn it.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:24 am »

It's much easier to grasp when you remember that Australia is opposite-land.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2013, 04:33:57 am »

Yea, pretty much.
Only place where calling somebody a 'stupid bastard' is actually a term of endearment. No wonder the rest of the world thinks us so offensive, we only want to show our love!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2013, 04:39:30 am »

Hn... with immigrants we do have room for lots of more people though I would suggest that Australians tend to be rather against urbanisation.
I think we're used to the idea of living in a large house with a front and back yard, grass lawn and enough space for backyard cricket or possibly a pool. Apartments are viewed quite negetively. I know in the country areas like Wonthaggi and Inverloch the local population rather dislike the heavy development towards new houses in the area. There was protest and unrest over the development of a desalination plant in the area to increase Melbournes water supplies during dry summers. I understand it's not being used right now because we have about 80% water in reserve.

Eh... I dislike to say it but there's also a fair amount of distrust against non-caucasian people, asian people especially. This is most likely lingering effects from the White Australia policy along with distrust brought about by WWII, Vietnam and so on. It's less of a problem the closer you get to the centre of the cities due to greater diversity but in the country it's more present. The nearest example I can give (living around Melbourne) is Box Hill which has gained a rather negative reputation because it's a large centre for asian culture and people. The population there has increased quite noticebly in the last 20 years.

At university there are a lot of international students, studying in Australia then moving back home. It's quite incredible the diverse amount of people and there seems to be very little to no conflict amongst the students on the matter.

Oh, and I'll bother with our politics when they all stop arguing like children. ("You said this, you said that. Blah blah blah") :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2013, 04:42:20 am »

Hn... with immigrants we do have room for lots of more people though I would suggest that Australians tend to be rather against urbanisation.
I think we're used to the idea of living in a large house with a front and back yard, grass lawn and enough space for backyard cricket or possibly a pool. Apartments are viewed quite negetively. I know in the country areas like Wonthaggi and Inverloch the local population rather dislike the heavy development towards new houses in the area. There was protest and unrest over the development of a desalination plant in the area to increase Melbournes water supplies during dry summers. I understand it's not being used right now because we have about 80% water in reserve.

Eh... I dislike to say it but there's also a fair amount of distrust against non-caucasian people, asian people especially. This is most likely lingering effects from the White Australia policy along with distrust brought about by WWII, Vietnam and so on. It's less of a problem the closer you get to the centre of the cities due to greater diversity but in the country it's more present. The nearest example I can give (living around Melbourne) is Box Hill which has gained a rather negative reputation because it's a large centre for asian culture and people. The population there has increased quite noticebly in the last 20 years.

At university there are a lot of international students, studying in Australia then moving back home. It's quite incredible the diverse amount of people and there seems to be very little to no conflict amongst the students on the matter.

Oh, and I'll bother with our politics when they all stop arguing like children. ("You said this, you said that. Blah blah blah") :P

Most definitely. You'll find the younger of us Australians don't tend to be racist unless they're bogans. My primary school was a very diverse mix and I was not bullied once; when I moved to a largely homogenous primary school that's where the teasing for being a redhead began.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 163