Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which noble would you like to see come back?

Dungeon Master
- 18 (34.6%)
Alchemist
- 4 (7.7%)
Philosopher
- 16 (30.8%)
Advisor
- 0 (0%)
Tax Collector
- 14 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 04:38:14 am

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bring Back More Nobles  (Read 1952 times)

cobaltness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bring Back More Nobles
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:38:14 am »

Vote for the noble that you want to see in the next update.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Back More Nobles
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:51 am »

Any ideas for what the nobles would do, rather than standing around and being incinerated.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:02:15 am »

The Dungeon Masters main role is now kinda redundant with the training animals mechanic, so it would need some kind of re-casting. Tax Collector would need some kind of working economy system, so will probably return when Toady gets that tangled mess sorted out. Alchemist? Technically you could use any dwarf with the labour enabled, and until there is a meaningful application of the skill its not that big a deal. Advisor? I would only want one if it were tied into the Monarch in some way. The Armourer/Quartermaster was a nice idea that didnt work well, and I doubt it will return for a long time

I do however miss the old guild masters, cults and house heads though (they gave so much character to a fort, and more challenge in the form of demands is kinda fun IMHO), and the Philosopher, who would generally become my main most popular party dwarf.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:46 am »

I'm a bit strange but I actually liked useless aristocratic nobles. It meant I could build castles for them with their own chambers.

But yes, I think all the nobles up there will be put back in the game at some point. You've also managed to omit the Arsenal Dwarf... that's criminal.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:43:35 am »

I'm a bit strange but I actually liked useless aristocratic nobles. It meant I could build castles for them with their own chambers.
I agree

I voted philosopher I like the idea of scholarly dwarves

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36:04 pm »

If the dungeon master will allow me to tame untameables, and apply war/hunting training to creatures that normally can't take those, by all means bring him on.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:35 pm »

The idea of having philosopher Dwarves walking around, defying Dwarven ethic norms whilst writing copious amounts of books would be awesome!
Ah Dwarf Plato is doubting the existence of beards again...

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:25 pm »

I havent bothered trying any of the older versions but I still want to say something. I'd like more nobles if their jobs were more useful than they themselves would be more annoying. For example, if a mining guildmaster had an office, he may have demands and organise strikes, but he'd also use that office to allow you organise mining crews so dwarves wouldn't all run to the same place and work schedules so can designate when dwarves could have breaks and stuff [and so can punish dwarves who are too drunk to obey the schedule]. If they are just added in to have more dwarves you want to kill; no thanks.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:00 pm »

I miss the nobles regardless of their usefulness - in 2D they were more fun as a challenge and marker that your fortress has gotten successful in Industry X than anything else.

Bury enough dwarves and you get a representative from the Undertakers' Guild, and she wants a tomb. Mass-produce too many rock mugs for food early and you're stuck with a Craftsdwarves' Guildmaster constantly demanding more crafts and forbidding their export. It added to the difficulties inherent in becoming successful enough that you didn't need to worry about harvesting enough food for winter or surviving the elephants anymore, just like the monsters swarming out of the river, chasm and magma flow did.

That said, a few useful abilities a-la the Dungeonmaster's "Electrum smelting and dragon-taming" powers would also be nice.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »

Yeah, I did like how once the outside world was no longer a big threat, nobles became the new, self-replacing one.
That's sort of why I wrote my dwarven voices mod, the idea of every single dwarf getting a single demand would be just enough once you get 100+ dwarves to give you some more things to worry about.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »

I miss the nobles regardless of their usefulness - in 2D they were more fun as a challenge and marker that your fortress has gotten successful in Industry X than anything else.

I prefer more dynamic challenges than being ordered to make random stuff, don't really care about trade. Stuff like epidemics requiring you to produce elaborate cures, qaurentine your dwarves and keep your fortress from tantrum spiralling before they are all dead. Much more an interesting challenge than a noblemen wanting more random stuff. The same with an insect plague killing all of your crops and you having to deal with a possible famine. Or the king deciding he needs a holiday and you being forced to waste resources on a royal guest.

Personally I think that each noble should get his own personal menu [of course that would require a complete redo of the UI] and should be seen moving around the fortress [or sending a page/runner/messenger] to give orders to dwarves based on what you set in that noble's menu. Make the game a bit less abstract and stuff.

Back on topic, I'm fine with nobles acting like spoiled brats, and if their personality traits involve laziness and stuff it'd be realistic for them to slack off a bit, but I'd rather only add in nobles if they are part of the fortress and not if they are just randomly addedd to make the game more "challenging."

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 01:05:45 am »

I prefer more dynamic challenges than being ordered to make random stuff, don't really care about trade. Stuff like epidemics requiring you to produce elaborate cures, qaurentine your dwarves and keep your fortress from tantrum spiralling before they are all dead. Much more an interesting challenge than a noblemen wanting more random stuff. The same with an insect plague killing all of your crops and you having to deal with a possible famine. Or the king deciding he needs a holiday and you being forced to waste resources on a royal guest.

Fair enough. Personally I'd love to see all those things in there as well, and a return of flooding as well - heavy rains followed by needing to wall off/evacuate your soil-layer caves, or (if you're downstream from the appropriate biomes) the river flooding every Spring when the snow melts and needing to take that into account.

Still, having guildmasters demand more production from their relevant industry and having to build another fancy set of rooms seems sensible enough, and IIRC the one function the guild nobles did perform was to provide somebody for unemployed dwarves to vent at besides the mayor, who may well be busy being yelled at by somebody else.

Personally I think that each noble should get his own personal menu [of course that would require a complete redo of the UI] and should be seen moving around the fortress [or sending a page/runner/messenger] to give orders to dwarves based on what you set in that noble's menu. Make the game a bit less abstract and stuff.

Oh god, yes. I've been saying for a while that the game needs more bureaucracy in larger forts. Guildmasters might be better done as necessary for more than a certain number of workshops of a given type, or possibly to automate certain processes that currently take up effort - instead of using the Manager to order smelting of hematite and lignite and pig iron whenever you want steel, you could use the head of the smelter's guild to just order steel, and see him wander over and meet with the manager - or go to the Smiths' guildmaster and order ten complete suits of steel armour decorated with pictures of terrified elves and have him trundle around to the various other guildmasters to set everything up.

Though that's probably got a lot of crossover with the guildmaster megathread so I'll leave that there.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:40 am »

One idea that would result in the nobles making in game sense is to have them be appointed by the highest ranking noble present. This would more closely mirror feudalistic courts where the king or baron would give his friends and family useless but high ranking positions.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:47 pm »

If we want nobles back just to increase demands and difficulty, why not have them appointed by drinking contest?  200 units of booze and 3 months of labor down the drain, and you know who your new DrunkenDungeon Master is.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »

If clans are added to the game another set of nobles could be the local clan chiefs, but instead of being annoying for themselves, they'll be annoying for all of the dwarves in their clan. ie they want their clan to have the best rooms. but of course, they still would want the best room in the clan.
Pages: [1] 2 3