Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 6 - Sanity Reigns [Game Over]  (Read 96697 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 6 - The Cloister of Zodank, God of Madness [Day 1]
« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2013, 12:24:05 am »

So many posts!! >_<

Catching up due to timezones.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2013, 12:50:50 am »

If you honestly feel I am scum then vote for me, fine.
Okay.  Zrk2

He hasn't been particularly productive, Leaf, so the points you cited do have merit.  If he ends up flipping town, I hope you don't mind if I push you hard on the morrow.

Tiruin - We're up at the same time.  Imagine that.  You going to vote Zrk2 as well, seeing as how Leaf's deconstructed the usual onus against weak bandwagoning?
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2013, 01:16:39 am »

Tiruin - We're up at the same time.  Imagine that.  You going to vote Zrk2 as well, seeing as how Leaf's deconstructed the usual onus against weak bandwagoning?
Err...no? I'm not voting for Zrk2 (Well, at the last time of my post, his posts prior anyway), due to him reeking of flail. Flailing Zrk2 flails, and its very hard to get his alignment that way, so I'm poking at other people instead who wish to capitulate on blatant weaknesses as that.

Also, you're GMT +8?

SRU - Still Reading Up.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2013, 01:20:08 am »

Nope. GMT -6/-7 (Dependent on DST).  I'm just up far later than I should be right now.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2013, 02:46:29 am »

Well... damn.  That's an excellent point.  I'll need to reread to confirm, but for now Zrk2.

Tiruin and zombieurist, your reads on everyone please.
Honestly, I can't give an exact read on anyone as most of these (specifically those who posted recently/after I posted because they were just read up) are subject to change.

1. The Soldier - town-ish, hadn't had a chance to ask him personally, but his reasoning and intentions seem sincere and valid in their reasoning.

2. notquitethere - same as Soldier. I'm quite used to how a Logician posts now, and his analytical senses this period in time have been so far agreeable in the sense that they're not attempting to undermine a person, but go along the lines of sensible communication.

3. Vector - null, heading...still null. Recent post on Zrk is up for questioning, recent-er posts before that lean town. What made you vote Zrk?

4. Captain Ford - Town-ish. His reasoning, I see, is sincere. In that he's giving the benefit of the doubt to those which the majority suspects and his logic is agreeable.

5. Hapah - Town-ish. While his posts are lesser than most, they are detailed to the point and reek of intentions detailing open communication. Nothing I see in there which speaks of any ulterior motives.

6. Okami No Rei - null leaning scum; his intentions seem valid in reasoning, but how he posts them give ample space for thought. That one post wherein he voted for Zrk seems suspicious in the way that he states "if townflip, question Leaf" when he could be doing it currently. This also contradicts his read on Zrk earlier, being a one liner.

7. Deathsword - Null. Didn't do much reading on him, tbh.

8. Zrk2 - Null. While LS' argument is agreeable, he's still undergoing questioning. Its annoying me to get the feeling that Zrk has given up defending himself/scumhunting with a "If you honestly feel I am scum then vote for me, fine." though, but this still points towards null for me.

9. Leafsnail - Null. Truly, I'm quite unsure about him - he did state quite a compelling argument regarding Zrk but its missing some minor details; minor in a way that he isn't addressing these details. Town or scum can do that (argument), but I'm quite curious of why he didn't engage in questioning beforehand (while Time is an excuse, I'm poking at his post right there), or at least leaving Zrk with any questions to bite on. His use of 'psychological' statements worry me in the way that its replacing any kind of reasoning with an implied generality - something which irks me on the side of scum in how he states them. Mainly because he's not taking matters into his own hands (ie asking/communicating with target) but trying to get everyone else to lynch him.

10. Imperial Guardsman - Null.

11. Tiruin - Is me, I'm town.

12. alamoes - Null. Pulling lots of tells - indistinguishable from newbie/scum/town.

13. Freshman/zombie urist - currently receiving the flak the former has taken. While Freshman was...completely hard to read given his posts, he's reading null here.

Though I'm curious, why me of all people?

Imperial Guard
Imperial: I can see you got my point. Unvote. Now tell me, if you were scum, which of the other players would you want on your team?
People like tiruin, vector, freshman, etc
Y me?
3. because you are one of the most experienced people in the game
Oh really now, explain how this would be reasonable at all.

also, freshman might have quit because he was scum, i think he realized his impending doom, quit, and let zombieurist fill his role so the heat would come off of him!
...And do you have any conclusive evidence which tells you he's scum?

Ford
Zrk2: I believe you're wrong. If Alamoes was scum, he'd have teammates coaching him. He doesn't look coached. Freshman is (was) far more likely to be scum because of his relative silence. There are things missing from his posts that I would expect to see, and I feel like I'm only hearing part of the conversation.

Personally, I find a lot of noobtells and towntells in his posts. I've not seen a single thing that makes him scummy in my book.
I disagree with this. Towntells, scumtells, noobtells. People can mess up anywhichway possible. While, yes, he may have teammates coaching him - said teammates wouldn't probably be there to post @QT or personally steer his course right for him.

While I do agree with his noobtell (of....voting himself.) His reasoning seems flawed in the sense of how he spends his vote.

What marks him scummy in your book btw?

Spoiler: Teal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail: You're prepared to out Zrk2 without asking him anything - leading only to a declarative post? Was that a definitive vote, or a pressure vote - and when did your suspicions rise on him?

While what you said is very agreeable, you don't seem to poke him on any of those which you've stated, but come up with a conclusion instead. I'm acting under the impression that people do mistakes, and while people commit mistakes - their intentions can me remarked on due to their personality.

Though...Zrk did comment on your post. And did nothing else but give a nearly blank statement. Even if he did such, you really do believe enough on Zrk2 to try attempt to convince Okami on him? Followed by a justified push on what constitutes a bandwagon and the analogy behind it, Okami wasn't even bandwagoning anyone as Vector had no votes beforehand. Who were you talking about when you said
As for your vote, I'm going to go ahead and say it's stupid and that Bay 12's entire attitude to bandwagoning is kindof silly[...]
Because the semantics point to Okami.

And lastly, why are you pointing to a psychological basis other than poking at your target with direct questions? What you said in relation with the bandwagon seems more of a justification without any kind of foundation - nobody remarked on a bandwagon that would compromise your post at all. Its agreeable, yeah, and can seemingly convince in itself, but why did you even state those ideas?

[...]At the moment we're in a situation where if someone makes a convincing case against another person you cannot say "yes, I agree with that case" and vote for the person because of our "you can never join a wagon without being scum" policy.  This means that days end with a few votes sprinkled onto random people (allowing scum to easily manipulate the lynch) rather than decisive votes against people who have been shown to look scummy.
Like this, for example. How in the world does this make sense, and why are you remarking on it? There is no policy, only an intangible line of thought that implies fear due to lack of reasoning - something which is easily cleared up later on. How does scum easily manipulate the lynch in this scenario?

Zrk2:
What do you think of LS' post regarding yourself; of LS' temperament regarding you, and of your target as scum. Since you've stated that you're pressure voting, who are your reads, and what was your intention of that pressure vote?

You haven't been poking on many others, I see. Why is that?

Zrk2 has a real talent for getting mislynched. I've read a couple of his previous games and if anything, he seems like a better townie than in any of his older town games. I think he's just not very good at this.

I am admittedly quite poor at this, but that is of course no excuse. If you honestly feel I am scum then vote for me, fine. That said, this seems a little bandwagony.
::)
How is Ford's post there even a bandwagon. If not, then how is 'this' even a "little" bandwagon.

And then this. Why are you saying this? Do you have honestly have nothing else to give but this statement?

Explain, please.

Okami
[...]
Vector -[...]
B: You voted Zrk2 at the drop of a hat.  A little eager to lynch, are we?
Second, why is B a compelling enough argument that you voted her when she said "for now"?

Imperial Guardsmen - Have you been taking lessons from Org?  I hope you realize that laconic posts tend to get people lynched early around here.
And here, what is the reasoning behind laconic posts - is it in the intention of the poster, or how others view it?

As for your vote, I'm going to go ahead and say it's stupid and that Bay 12's entire attitude to bandwagoning is kindof silly.  At the moment we're in a situation where if someone makes a convincing case against another person you cannot say "yes, I agree with that case" and vote for the person because of our "you can never join a wagon without being scum" policy.  This means that days end with a few votes sprinkled onto random people (allowing scum to easily manipulate the lynch) rather than decisive votes against people who have been shown to look scummy.
This is an excellent summary of the current B12 meta on bandwagons.  May I quote you on this in other games?
Lastly. What.

How is this an excellent summary of the generalized playerbase? People can tout the term of bandwagon on any person being voted by the majority for various reasons, and the only focus you give is on the weakest reason ever?

The "You can never join a wagon without being scum" is fallible. Insomuch as saying that you agree point blank without saying anything else is fallible. People have different tactics - scum want to appear town by poking at what is suspicious for them, and usually this works if the suspects have major quirks in their reasoning. Quirks enough, that they seem scum.

Zrk2, for me, has a distinct playstyle which is more confusing than playing, and judging by his posts (and mostly other posts in other boards), its how he plays.

You vote Zrk because...
Okay.  Zrk2

He hasn't been particularly productive, Leaf, so the points you cited do have merit.  If he ends up flipping town, I hope you don't mind if I push you hard on the morrow.
That?

Explain how LS' post convinced you, and if that's the only determining factor which made you vote. Who else do you suspect, and why?

Also, here, you state the reasons behind how scummy you find Zrk, then vote him on what I quoted above.

Aiming for the easylynch there? How is Ford giving his opinion scummy, or at least a candidate for a scumbuddy? While, obviously the reasoning is damned if Zrk pops out scum, I'm under the impression that you're voting him just to see him lynched - why?

Cheers for curiosity.

Please do not edit your posts.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:06:18 pm by Toaster »

:P

This is just me bringing in something that made me laugh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:06 am »

Vector -
A: You're always scum.
B: You voted Zrk2 at the drop of a hat.  A little eager to lynch, are we?

A. Not this time.
B. The second vote on a player is not exactly definitive.  This vote was the right one.

Seeing as Okami has claimed vector is always Scum, I ask Vector. 

How much experience in the game do you have as scum as an approximate number of victories?  I'd like to know who I'm playing with here.

Approximate number of victories?  Uh. . . I dunno.  Easier to count the number of losses, and to the best of my memory they'd fit on one hand over three years of playing (check BMI and IV, Rysith's Semi-Bastard, Pandar's BYOR, or the first Cybrid Mafia for some good examples of my victories as scum from the Notable Games Archive).  I think I'm one of the subforum's leading scum players at the moment, since both Webadict and Pandarsenic seem to have retired.  Leafsnail is also hot stuff, though.

This is not only soft ("I hope you don't mind?"  Really?) but reeks of lynch-chaining.  I'm watching you.

3. Vector - null, heading...still null. Recent post on Zrk is up for questioning, recent-er posts before that lean town. What made you vote Zrk?

[...]

I voted Zrk because Leafsnail's argument was a very strong one.  And for other reasons, but you'll find out about those later.

As for you. . . you just happened to be the next step.  I needed a lot of data out of you to help me narrow out the scumteam.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:43 am »

[...]

I voted Zrk because Leafsnail's argument was a very strong one.  And for other reasons, but you'll find out about those later.

As for you. . . you just happened to be the next step.  I needed a lot of data out of you to help me narrow out the scumteam.
Next step? Which parts of LS' argument was strong - he outlined what Zrk was doing, yes...was it what he stated about the bandwagon which persuaded you or something else?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12:36 am »

Yeah, next step.  I'll explain on D2 if I'm still alive.

As for Leafsnail's outline, he provided a very clean case.  The bandwagon post did not come until long after I'd voted Zrk, so no, Leafsnail's statement that I wasn't bandwagoning had absolutely nothing to do with my vote.  White noise is one of the classical scumtells for more experienced players, and though I'm listening to your statements about Zrk being flaily town, he's not looking very good from over here.

However, Deathsword is also the only person not voting, and I don't think I've seen him in a while.  I would like your reads very much, Deathsword.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 28, 2013, 07:51:04 am »

Imperial
Ey, what did I miss?
My question. Again. If you want people to unvote you, you've got to respond to them.

Zombie Urist
1. The previous question was kindof a time-waster question too IMO. So yeah.
2. Nope.
I was trying to assertain whether he understood a concept fundamental to the game. Given his blatant OMGUS, it  was highly relevant whether he knew what OMGUSing was or not.

Are you always this laconic? More importantly, do you stand by the words and votes of Fresh?

Hapah
I understand that. I understand the questions to Fresh as well, for the most part. But I don't see the possible angles of attack in some posts, like you questions to ImpGuard here, or your question to DS here. Could you describe the sorts of replies you might find suspicious?
Well for one, I find Imp's lack of a reply suspicious. Merely asking questions is sometimes enough to get started with. The questions to Imp and DS were posed to get an idea of their understanding of the set-up and hunting priorities. Pressure is important, but there are other things to be gained from questioning. I'd find a lot things potentially suspicious, including, for instance, any reply which either exaggerated or understated the importance of some game element.

Not even the smallest idea? I find this lack of curiousity astounding, especially given how scummy your predecessor came across as.
This is a really opportunistic jab, NQT. If you replaced in for someone, can you honestly say you'd speculate on why they left? There's no point to it.
I'd say something. I do take your point that idle speculation isn't necessarily very helpful. That said, when someone replaces I find it useful to know how they felt about their predecessor's game play. I've now asked ZU a more focused question to that effect, so thanks for the prod.

alamoes, it looks like your starting to ask more intelligent questions now. Could you explain what it is about Fresh/ZU that you find worthy of lynching?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:44 am »

Err, why not now? I was asking what you meant by next step...Because the meaning of that seems like you've a plan in mind.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2013, 10:43:53 am »

Zrk2:
What do you think of LS' post regarding yourself; of LS' temperament regarding you, and of your target as scum. Since you've stated that you're pressure voting, who are your reads, and what was your intention of that pressure vote?

You haven't been poking on many others, I see. Why is that?

Reads? Okay. Let's see.

Tiruin: More town than not. Has been reasonably useful.

NotQuiteThere: Null

Vector: I don't like her leaping on me at the drop of a hat, but then I'm biased there.

Okami No Rei: Jumping on bandwagons isn't cool. Other than that I'm not sure. Might be scum.

Alamoes: I stand by my previous case.

Leafsnail: Doing well with the scumhunting. Presents a (somewhat) convincing case against me. Likely town.

Captain Ford: Null.

The Soldier: Leapt on my bandwagon and has been otherwise completely unremarkable. In fact the case presented against me applies to him to. Completely unremarkable. May be scum, or just new.

Hapah: Null.

Deathsword: Less productive than I would have liked when RVSed, but otherwise dull. More or less townish.

IG: Null.

Zrk2 has a real talent for getting mislynched. I've read a couple of his previous games and if anything, he seems like a better townie than in any of his older town games. I think he's just not very good at this.

I am admittedly quite poor at this, but that is of course no excuse. If you honestly feel I am scum then vote for me, fine. That said, this seems a little bandwagony.
::)
How is Ford's post there even a bandwagon. If not, then how is 'this' even a "little" bandwagon.

What I mean is that Leafsnail showed up, presented his case, and voted for me. Fine. Then vector comes in, says she agrees with him, and votes for me. Okay. I can see her being swayed, but rarely does she go for the low-effort play. After that she claims to have other reasons:

Quote from: Vector

I'd like those now.

Then The Soldier leaps in with basically a "yeah, sounds good." That looks bandwagony to me, more so than Vectors'. See; "this" did look "a little" bandwagony.

And then this. Why are you saying this? Do you have honestly have nothing else to give but this statement?

Explain, please.

I am rather fatalistic in mafia. It's a product of having been mislynched so many times. Also, I'm bad at srs bsns like mafia.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2013, 11:34:20 am »

Vote Count:

The Soldier:
notquitethere: Hapah
Vector:
Captain Ford: Zombie Urist
Hapah:
Okami No Rei:
Deathsword:
Zrk2: Leafsnail, Vector, The Soldier, Okami No Rei
Leafsnail: Tiruin
Imperial Guardsman: notquitethere
Tiruin:
alamoes: Zrk2
Zombie Urist: alamoes, Imperial Guardsman, Captain Ford

Not Voting: Deathsword

Day 1 will last until Thursday, 3/28 at 11 PM EST, about 10 1/2 hours from this post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2013, 02:25:46 pm »

Err, why not now? I was asking what you meant by next step...Because the meaning of that seems like you've a plan in mind.

What I mean is that Leafsnail showed up, presented his case, and voted for me. Fine. Then vector comes in, says she agrees with him, and votes for me. Okay. I can see her being swayed, but rarely does she go for the low-effort play. After that she claims to have other reasons:

Quote from: Vector

I'd like those now.

I'm gathering data.  You're not getting anything more detailed than that until the experiment is over.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »

I'm gathering data.  You're not getting anything more detailed than that until the experiment is over.
*grumble grumble* :/

No hints?

Zrk2: So..you quoted my post. Ignored my other questions. And said that people are bandwagoning you when they (well, implied on one account, voting for the sake of voting on the other) followed a reasonably sensible argument. Wat.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2013, 03:13:33 pm »

That was the hint.  Just. . . think a little about it.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44