Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it even possible to become a Legendary Reader?  (Read 1686 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Is it even possible to become a Legendary Reader?
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:36:42 pm »

Why would one even need to be at such a high level even if Novice does just as well, but hey - it's not like Cheesemakers are any more useful.
Since you can't become Legendary from the start, and there's no way to raise this skill (I honestly feel like reading signs should raise it, for whatever reason)...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Is it even possible to become a Legendary Reader?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »

It'll probably get changed in future updates. Right now, though, the only way to raise your reader skill may be to create reactions that use it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 03:53:46 am »

It would be interesting if books and slabs needed a specific skill in reading to be able to understand.  Original books/slabs would need high reading skill levels to understand, while books written about books (guides and the like) would require less reading skill levels and so on - reading a book you had enough skill to understand would increase your skill and so on, until the adventurer-scholar was able to decipher even ancient writings.

I just wish books and whatnot used the data from Legends mode more.  The battle reports, for instance, read very much like The Illiad...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:43:44 am »

Right after I put it under my nickname...
Dabbling Overseer

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:37:06 am »

It would be interesting if books and slabs needed a specific skill in reading to be able to understand.  Original books/slabs would need high reading skill levels to understand, while books written about books (guides and the like) would require less reading skill levels and so on - reading a book you had enough skill to understand would increase your skill and so on, until the adventurer-scholar was able to decipher even ancient writings.

I just wish books and whatnot used the data from Legends mode more.  The battle reports, for instance, read very much like The Illiad...
HEY. Don't you speak down on it like that! Those are works of quality literature, far above the level of the Twilight Saga or the Harry Potter series. Good sir, I demand that you NEVER again compare Toady's brilliant battle reports with much like the Iliad EVER again.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:36:15 am »

I don't know if the intent was humour or not, but you may want to read up on what the Illiad is.
Also known as Zuhayr.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:29:29 am »

I don't get it either, the Illiad is an epic Greek poem... isn't it?  :-\

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 07:28:21 am »

HEY. Don't you speak down on it like that! Those are works of quality literature, far above the level of the Twilight Saga or the Harry Potter series. Good sir, I demand that you NEVER again compare Toady's brilliant battle reports with much like the Iliad EVER again.

Do I offend?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »

Er, sorry guys. I was trying to be ridiculous - i.e., the Iliad is actually an incredibly important piece of literature, and Toady's battle reports (although awesome in their detail) don't really compare.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:19 pm »

Er, sorry guys. I was trying to be ridiculous - i.e., the Iliad is actually an incredibly important piece of literature, and Toady's battle reports (although awesome in their detail) don't really compare.

Can I borrow your shovel after you're done digging that hole you're in?  I forgot to embark my kobolds with one :P

Joking aside, I like the idea of reading being improvable and slabs/books needing a certain skill to decipher.  Gathering knowledge on your adventures that lets you glean information from the runescript in an ancient ruin...

And then get your eyeball shot out by a goblin archer, of course.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:21 pm »

Then you learn to read by the feel of the ink molecules on the page. Or, I guess blind reading is a lot easier if you're feeling an engraved slab.

I'd imagine you use Legendary reading skill to defeat IM Meen.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?