Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fighting techniques  (Read 2322 times)

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting techniques
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »

Specifically there is no difference between a "regular attack" and a technique as far as mechanics and how the game treats it is concerned.

There is a difference, however, between base techniques that everyone knows and techniques that are part of a system of movements (or style as it will).

There is importance in formalised techniques but there should be no underestimation of skill being important. A master bar brawler would easily defeat a skilled martial artist.

The "regular attacks everyone knows" are always part instinct, part influence of any possible martial art.

Formalised techniques were probably used long before they were formalised, though nowadays there's probably a nice japanese name for squeezing someone's balls or throwing a bottle at them. There is no clear distinction in what can be considered technique because practically everything you might do to win a fight could be called a technique (and is probablyalready documented by someone, somwhere).

Anyways collections of formalised techniques are more of a way to archive many different moves rather than something you should follow slavishly. Many martial arts even share the basic and many advanced moves, what truly sets different martial arts apart is the principle, the training methods and the philosophy which the developers found valuable and working.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 02:18:19 pm »

For people who don't know Armok 1's method of martial arts could best be described as extreme break dance fighting.

You ended up with moves like attacking someone with your pinky toe while balancing on your ear lobes and stuff like that.

That sounds amazing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 04:46:12 pm »

Formalised techniques were probably used long before they were formalised, though nowadays there's probably a nice japanese name for squeezing someone's balls or throwing a bottle at them. There is no clear distinction in what can be considered technique because practically everything you might do to win a fight could be called a technique (and is probablyalready documented by someone, somwhere).

For some moves maybe, but a lot of martial arts moves are very different.

For example the Natural inclination to strangle someone is to wrap your hands around their neck and squeeze their throat with your two thumbs, this is not a very good move (though people have been known to crush/rupture windpipes with it anyhow). Most martial arts however have long since developed their own chokes.

There is no clear distinction in what can be considered technique because practically everything you might do to win a fight could be called a technique (and is probablyalready documented by someone, somwhere).

This is untrue. Everything is a technique, there is no distinction between throwing a bottle and throwing a bottle according to a manual. Anything and everything you do is a technique.

It just depends if it is formalised or not. When you develop a move to be better rather then just relying on your own strength, skill, agility, stamina, and all that... You often get very different results.

Even sports works this way. Just think about a pitcher throwing a baseball. It is all aggregates of throwing a ball, but there are many ways to do it in order to achieve an effect. Yet they arn't all simple things that a person would learn just by being really good at throwing, many are very specific and formalised techniques that require percise movements and sometimes even cheating (Spitball for example is impossible to throw).

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:30 am »

There is no clear distinction in what can be considered technique because practically everything you might do to win a fight could be called a technique (and is probablyalready documented by someone, somwhere).

This is untrue. Everything is a technique, there is no distinction between throwing a bottle and throwing a bottle according to a manual. Anything and everything you do is a technique.

That's just what I meant even though i restricted the discussion to fighting techniques.

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »

Some general observation:
While most martial arts teach you specific techniques and strikes for years their end goal to make you step out of boundaries made out of predetermined moves. It is like in many arts and activities that you need to know the rules to know then to break them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]