Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fighting techniques  (Read 2323 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Fighting techniques
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:41 am »

There can be many of fighting techniques after new generated world. Each civilization have they own techniques which depends on they abilities. Techniques can be randomly generated. There would be 2 types of fighting skills: reflexes & technique skill. Each technique will have weaknesses and advantages against other techniques. Dorf with technique knowledge can teach other dorfs. Something like this.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:55:47 am by Burmalay »

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting techniques
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:48:16 am »

That would be too complicated to put into a game. I think the current combat system is fine the way it is.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:49:21 am »

This is actually the idea behind the "Combat Styles" on the dev page.  They won't be predefined, though they'll have a raw format.  Armok 1 attempted this poorly, and hopefully we'll do a better job for DF when I get around to it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:25 am »

That would be too complicated to put into a game. I think the current combat system is fine the way it is.

Did you just say something would be too complicated for Dwarf Fortress?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:29 am »

It would be pretty simple to "unlock" a new move at a certain level of combat experience. Example: Every novice wrestler would have a double-leg takedown. It's literally one of the first things you learn in wrestling. More experienced wrestlers would get specialized joint locks, and stuff like the Uchi Gari, or the famous Ippon Seoi Nage throw:

Stuff like that would also probably help a lot with non-lethal combat.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:33:12 am »

For people who don't know Armok 1's method of martial arts could best be described as extreme break dance fighting.

You ended up with moves like attacking someone with your pinky toe while balancing on your ear lobes and stuff like that.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 01:03:20 pm »

This is actually the idea behind the "Combat Styles" on the dev page.  They won't be predefined, though they'll have a raw format.  Armok 1 attempted this poorly, and hopefully we'll do a better job for DF when I get around to it.

Wait, Toady actually posting in the forums?
FUTURE OF THE FORTRESS UPDATE CONFIRMED!
Just to let you know, that's a shout-out to Steam Powered Users' Forums.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »

Snip

I'd rather have it the other way around. As you learn more technique, your martial arts skill increases. Seems more logical that way.

Also, as a noob you can still try the deadly Quintuple Bionical Ear Uppercut if you heard about it, but with a significant chance of failure.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »

Because Toady wants to seperate skill with the number of moves learned.

It is simple. Your martial arts skill is unrelated to the amount of moves you know. Which makes sense afterall

"One who practices a single move a million times will always defeat one who practices a million moves once"

While I personally like the idea of your character getting "inspiration" to develop their own moves to add to their list. Toady's own words suggests he finds that idea incredibly silly so we definately arn't getting that.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »

Wow, we're just trying to "complexify" practically everything possible in this game.
Which is why it's so awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:15:57 pm »

Wow, we're just trying to "complexify" practically everything possible in this game.
Which is why it's so awesome.

Sorta. If you go to other sections of the board they actually want Toady to absolutely NOT complexify sections of the game in favor of other aspects of the game they deem more important.

It is kinda a sizable difference between many people who are on Dwarf Fortress but it to me sort of shows the stress people have with what could be percieved as slow development.

So I am sure a lot of people prefer toady never work on martial arts.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »

Because Toady wants to seperate skill with the number of moves learned.

It is simple. Your martial arts skill is unrelated to the amount of moves you know. Which makes sense afterall

"One who practices a single move a million times will always defeat one who practices a million moves once"

While I personally like the idea of your character getting "inspiration" to develop their own moves to add to their list. Toady's own words suggests he finds that idea incredibly silly so we definately arn't getting that.

Traditional fighting will of course still grant XP. But learning moves would do so to, and there wouldn't be any arbitrary level restrictions.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05:34 am »

What's the distinction between a "regular attack" and a technique.

A sword cut is a technique, a punch is a technique, a throw, a strangle or an eye gouge is technically a technique so where is the line between a normal attack and a dwarf-fu technique?

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »

What's the distinction between a "regular attack" and a technique.

A sword cut is a technique, a punch is a technique, a throw, a strangle or an eye gouge is technically a technique so where is the line between a normal attack and a dwarf-fu technique?
A "technique" means some kind of trick in move.
The regular move is - swung -> punch.
The technique move is - swung -> deceptive move -> punch (something like this).
So each fight school will have each own moves, I think so.
There can be free style too. Moves with no style depends on reflexes. Some kind of brute style which can be very effective against unexperienceed opponent. So yes, the regular moves are brute moves which have no style & tricks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »

Specifically there is no difference between a "regular attack" and a technique as far as mechanics and how the game treats it is concerned.

There is a difference, however, between base techniques that everyone knows and techniques that are part of a system of movements (or style as it will).

There is importance in formalised techniques but there should be no underestimation of skill being important. A master bar brawler would easily defeat a skilled martial artist.
Pages: [1] 2