Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger rooms in the next version?  (Read 1655 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger rooms in the next version?
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:57:50 am »

Let's drop all the "are danger rooms an exploit?" talk in this thread. The latest devlog says parrying ridiculous numbers of simultaneous attacks with one weapon will no longer be possible. What changes do you think will happen as a result of this?

I suspect it'll mean armour user goes up much faster than dodging and weapon skills will be slower than both to rise.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms in the next version?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:27 am »

And suturing/wound dressing skills!
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:22:34 am »

It depends, if you use a single spear in your danger room, you won't notice the difference. However, using several should garantee an increase in armor user and/or dodger.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:26:49 am »

It might also have some effect on live combat with one dwarf vs. a goblin squad, which is nice. You can't fight them without weapons unless the dwarf doesn't really need the training, but using a weapon heavily favours the gaining of weapon skill. Unfortunately, the dwarf might not even get that far, depending on how much the dwarf evades the multiple blows instead of trying to tank them all.

Combining a danger room with a swimming pool may be more feasable now. I once set up a room checkerboarded with training spears and water, and the untrained civilians just stood there getting poked and building up ridiculous levels of Armour User skill instead of dodging into the water and training Swimming like I wanted. But again, that depends on what decision the AI makes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:45:41 am »

Not danger room related but I want to know what the movement/attack speed split exactly means.
Does it mean that dabbling armor user in steel armor will move slowly but have a slightly slowed down or even normal attack speed.

The new blocking means that I wont be able to destroy sieges with just one legendary+5 everything military dorf.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:58:19 am »

This might also mean the end of single champion militias or even three-dwarf militia squads. I'll have to see it to believe it, though, fort military is tough enough where a nerf might cause a lot of people to get upset.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:53:18 pm »

That's what I'm worried about.  I'm all for having a bit more realism in this department, and I've always found it a bit tough to believe that a single guy could deflect 20+ sword blows a second, but this is going to make fort defense markedly more difficult.

I guess it's another point in favor of crossbow spam.

Does it mean that dabbling armor user in steel armor will move slowly but have a slightly slowed down or even normal attack speed.

Presumably, yes.  So that's a slight improvement in military effectiveness for raw recruits.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:10 pm »

Not danger room related but I want to know what the movement/attack speed split exactly means.

At present, movement and combat speed are the same (that is - how quickly you move is exactly the same as how often you get to attack), so cheetahs can't be their real speed or they'd kill all of your dwarves before the dwarves got a hit off, for example.

The new blocking means that I wont be able to destroy sieges with just one legendary+5 everything military dorf.

Doubt it, frankly. Your ultra-legendaries will probably still be just as immortal as ever.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 02:09:59 pm »

Toady stated that parrying multiple attacks is going to be much more difficult, to the point of becoming impossible after a fairly small number (8?).  So you won't see weapon lords parrying 25 attacks in a "round" (whatever that is), so multiple goblins attacking at once are going to be a much larger problem.

Dodging is probably mostly unaffected, but then he also mentioned penalties to dodging if you tried to parry, so if the AI chose to parry an attack due to high weapon skill, then again and again, it's going to start failing parry and dodge checks soon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:53:16 pm »

So multiple goblins attacking at once are going to be a much larger problem.
-And those who like to send military in mass will be indubitably laughing with glee.

This might also mean the end of single champion militias or even three-dwarf militia squads. I'll have to see it to believe it, though, fort military is tough enough where a nerf might cause a lot of people to get upset.
Three-dwarf militias will still be valuable for teaching. Making people upset is hardly a reason to stop progress! Onwards!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:53:05 pm »

Hehe, I do plan to build a danger room and a seed scrambling pit to see if the new update changes them considerably. From reading the front page, I do think there will be some changes in the effectiveness of the rooms though, just not sure how much.

Though I'll probably be more interested in how it effects the "dodge me" traps. As those are among my most used, to collect goblins in without them running away. And then mass burning the garbage all away while leaving the valuable goblinite ore alone.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »

Looks like the next version will have some serious !!SCIENCE!! potential.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:27:12 pm »

With how difficult it is to control the military (I'm going to bash this giant until I starve to death), a change in their strength will, at the very least, see me using ONLY trap corridors. Depending on the difficulty, it might just mean I switch to adventure mode exclusively.

The undead change had me so hyped for playing in evil biomes, but the surprising difficulty (face-melting weather, undying zombies, vampires almost always killing their food, etc.) had me genning worlds without vampires and playing in good/neutral biomes. I really wish that headshots kept zombies dead, btw. The whole "they keep coming back" thing was beyond just weirdly non-canon, it exacerbated the whole "peasants fight literally nothing and instead run" problem.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »

This might also mean the end of single champion militias or even three-dwarf militia squads.
Just send more squads in -- six dwarves from two squads are just as good as six dwarves from one squad, all other things being equal. You can fit nine (I think) squads on the squad list before a display bug makes it really fiddly to select individuals.

Dwarves who can reliably take opponents out of a fight with one attack are going to be as good as ever against a charging and strung-out squad, but getting them there will be a little more difficult.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:09 am »

I really wish that headshots kept zombies dead, btw. The whole "they keep coming back" thing was beyond just weirdly non-canon, it exacerbated the whole "peasants fight literally nothing and instead run" problem.
Well, that's one thing that'll also be changed in the next version. Toady has said 'pulping' will be in before he releases, meaning if you beat the zombie up enough times, it won't be able to come back again because it's now a mash instead of a body.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2