Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Tribes of Ice RTD [Turn 2: Wolves Everywhere]  (Read 8979 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes of Ice RTD
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 04:44:06 am »

Name: Yakub

Race: Manatee-man

Appearance: a short (about 5 feet in height), stocky, blubbery, hairless humanoid with the head of a manatee and short, stubby arms and legs. Pale gray, mostly completely smooth skin, watery and expressionless eyes. Looks rather bored and apathetic to most creatures, though a fellow manatee-person would be able to distinguish faint nuances of expression in his movement and speech. Despite being a manatee-man, he is completely land-adapted.

Bio: A hermit by necessity, Yakub left his tribe after a rather spirited disagreement on the subject of whether it wouldn't be more prudent for a manatee-man to be living in the sea, with Yakub leading the pro-land side. Needless to say, he was in a minority. A very, very small minority. One that consisted of just him, really. And this was just because of his rampant hydrophobia, which others took to be just bloody-minded stubbornness. So he, too afraid to go into the water, ventured north into the barren, inhospitable tundra. No large bodies of water there, ha! Or at least they're all frozen, so he doesn't have to worry about falling in!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:00 am »

I blame Dwarmin for making me shift a PTW into a sheet :P

Also, just to say that this is a very interesting concept Irony. Cheers!

Alsoalso...If we're stone-age individuals, I believe our death rate is quite...early, given the premise.

Which I'd bet would be handwaved soon enough.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 10:10:11 am »

Name: Garius Junst
Race: Human
Appearance: Tall man with messy brown hair and blue eyes. He relatively fit and has pale skin. Believes that everything happens for a reason and anyone who tries to go against this reason is a criminal and should be punished. He has a strict code of ethics and will quickly punish those who go against them.
Bio: Garius was born to a small tribe that lived over the ruins of a great temple. When any child turned 13 they would be sent down into the depths to see what they would be for the rest of their life based on carvings from the ruins. Garius was lucky enough to be picked as a justicar, one who regulates and uses the law. After a couple of a peaceful years his tribe and attacked and he was driven north.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »

Fixing my sheet now!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:45 pm »

My sheet is fixed, now that I can type again. :P

Also, don't know how I missed Guin having reserved a spot! I shoulda saved myself the trouble...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 09:11:14 am »

...Harry, manatees are tropical creatures.

And there's a little pond called the Arctic Ocean which most large Arctic animals rely on to some extent.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 11:22:02 am »

And there's a little pond called the Arctic Ocean which most large Arctic animals rely on to some extent.

As to your first point, he isn't a manatee, but a manatee-man, who can survive in harsher climates due to the ability to make fire and tools. Humans also once lived mostly in hot climates, but their adaptability allowed them to move to new places that they formerly could not inhabit. So I find it entirely reasonable (or at least possible to ascribe to stubbornness) that a manatee-man could survive in the tundra.

As to your second point, and I mentioned this already, we apparently live in the tundra, not the immediate Arctic, as evidenced by the presence of rabbits, elk and wolves. And you don't necessarily live near (a Stone Age, not a modern age interpretation of near, mind you) an ocean in the tundra, do you?

EDIT: Well, you would actually need to be fairly close to the ocean in the tundra, at least on Earth and not Improbable Tundra Planet, which this very well may be. There's always the taiga next to it for the consummate hydrophobe, I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:58:01 pm by Harry Baldman »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 11:34:18 am »

Dammit Harry.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 11:37:50 am »

If anything, him being a Manatee-Man would probably help him due to their fat stores, so they wouldn't be as affected by the cold, and could survive longer with little food. Until the fat stores go away however.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 11:47:29 am »

((I'd love to point out the anthropological difficulties of Manatees in that era and situation, but I won't :P

This is going to be great.

Was going to make a sheet once I saw Dwarmin, but then Irony had to make the playerlist already XD

Still going to be great.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »

((I'd love to point out the anthropological difficulties of Manatees in that era and situation, but I won't :P -snip-))

((Do tell. Is there something I should know about manatees that I have missed so far? It's sort of important, you see.))
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:34:21 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »

I wish Guin would just post his sheet and stop giving me false hope of playing in his absence. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 03:13:55 pm »

As to your first point, he isn't a manatee, but a manatee-man, who can survive in harsher climates due to the ability to make fire and tools. Humans also once lived mostly in hot climates, but their adaptability allowed them to move to new places that they formerly could not inhabit. So I find it entirely reasonable (or at least possible to ascribe to stubbornness) that a manatee-man could survive in the tundra.
They didn't make the move over the course of a single lifetime, though.

As to your second point, and I mentioned this already, we apparently live in the tundra, not the immediate Arctic, as evidenced by the presence of rabbits, elk and wolves. And you don't necessarily live near (a Stone Age, not a modern age interpretation of near, mind you) an ocean in the tundra, do you?

EDIT: Well, you would actually need to be fairly close to the ocean in the tundra, at least on Earth and not Improbable Tundra Planet, which this very well may be. There's always the taiga next to it for the consummate hydrophobe, I suppose.
Well, this all depends on the exact setting...but yeah, I'd advise taiga for you to be on the Safe SideTM.

If anything, him being a Manatee-Man would probably help him due to their fat stores, so they wouldn't be as affected by the cold, and could survive longer with little food. Until the fat stores go away however.
Not so much. Which is good for manatees, as the lagoons and whatnot in the tropics would get pretty darn unpleasant with a subdermal parka.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »

Turn 0: Mistakes

Pre-Dawn

Name: Gwem
Race: Human (I'm pretty sure this is what you mean...)
Appearance:This woman has beady eyes the color of coffee with cream. Her silky, straight, cream-colored hair is worn in a style that reminds you of a waterfall. She is tall and has a graceful build. Her skin is ruddy. She has thick eyebrows. Her wardrobe is flattering, with a lot of black and brown furs.
Bio: Maybe later. Late.
[?] You find yourself in a snowy field. You can't tell what else might be around you without exploring your current hex.

Name: Elgrom
Race: Orc
Appearance: dark moss-coloured skin, stands about six foot, black hair with mustache/beard, long and uncut. Small dark eyes and large, jutting teeth.
Bio: Elgrom had been a hunter in his tribe until the beautiful daughter of the chief caught his eye. When he sought her hand, her rejection in favour of the champion of the tribe enraged Elgrom. One night he murdered her and her lover in their bed, before turning his axe on the chief as well. Captured by the rest of the tribe, Elgrom was exiled to the frozen wilderness to live or die as the spirits decided.
[?] You think you have made a mistake.

You're in a massive, icy crevasse. It's dark in here, and you keep hearing suspicious noises. You're guessing west will lead you out of here, but you're in pretty deep.

Name: Aestus
Race: Giant [Gonna just give a guess as to what is available.]
Appearance: Stands roughly eleven feet tall with pale, taunt skin and stretched, cord-like muscles. His hands are roughly calloused from a hard life, as are his feet from long distances traveled. Eyes stare ahead, determined, slate grey in color. Brown, long hair in contrast to his pale skin, needing a bit of a trim but such is a luxury when fighting for survival.
Bio: Race born from the rock of the mountains at the beginning of the world, or as his people's legends say, Aestus has lived with his people for the majority of his life. Famine, disease, and the ever incessant cold has laid low many of his kin until now he was the only one left of his tribe. But he will rebuild, and his clan shall live again, or he shall die trying, this is Aestus' goal. Their spirits whisper in his ear, urging him forth to lay low this land, and to bring forth a new clan, one strong enough to survive the winter, the wolves, and to not just live but to thrive, to survive, to flourish.
[?] You get the feeling this is not a good place to rebuild your tribe.

You're in a massive, icy crevasse. It's dark here, and you keep hearing suspicious noises. You think southwest will lead you out of here, but you're in pretty deep.

Name: Growlneer Greateye
Race: Wolfling (Human with wolf-like appearance.) ((More or less a werewolf without the were and only a little wolf lol.))
Appearance: Human-like with a wolf head and covered is very short light gray and white fur. Eyes of gold and huge scar across the chest that fur doesn't grow on.
Bio: None
[?] You find yourself on a snowy plain. You can't tell what else is around without exploring that hex.

Name: Clair Heaven
Race: kitsune
Appearance: Red haired woman with brown eyes. Fair skin, six long red tails trails behind her. Sender build.
[?] You find yourself amidst snowy trees. You can't tell what else is around without exploring the hex.

Name: Theenya Faircloak
Race: Snow Hobbit
Appearance: A short (even for a hobbit) girl with slight, fair skin and a healthy glow. She has small, vivacious green eyes and short cropped silvery hair that is extended into small double bangs on her forehead and a triple ponytail that cover the back of her neck. She has a jagged fishook looking scar on her chin, extended down to her lower chest, that is very noticeable. She is often seen wearing a spotted snow fox pelt coat and carrying a bow on her back made from the springy leg of some chitinous beast, strung with a silvery cord of what looks like very fine hair. She sports extensive tattooing over her entire body, like the branches of a tree...most of it paired lines extending to her lifelines and chakras, but few symbols. Her face in particular is embellished with intricate arcs both above and below the eyes, extended down the sides of her neck.

Bio: Theenya's clan of cold dwelling Hobbits-the Furrowfeet-lived an existence not unlike they always have-moving up and down the coast on the longboats they used as homes, fishing and hunting seals, and generally staying out of the way of the larger folk. She was born into a relative time of plenty, where food was plentiful and the seas calm and merciful-as such, being only around 18, fairly healthy and not unused to being considered beautiful. she was traded to Clan Flurryspear as a bride-both diplomacy. and practicality. Though uneasy to being moved away so casually, Theenya went along with her elders wishes...unfortunately, a Hobbit in such a position has little freedom in their life-slavery is too harsh a word, but it is what their social status amounts to in all practicality.

Though, to the new clans surprise, they found Theenya to be a proficent hunter and tracker rather than merely a potential spouse. She demanded, and was given rights, to the ritual of the 'Great Hunt'-to seek and hopefully defeat one of the 'Seven Great Dangers' of Snow Hobbitkind-she chose the great and terrible Blizzard Drake-think small Dragon, but no less ferocious-quite capable of slaying an adult human. She know the retrieval of the Blue Pearl from the Drakes frozen belly would be proof enough...assuming she's not first introduced to said belly in a more personal way. Such things cannot be bought and are not easy to steal, with great value only to the Snow Hobbit people. This is a task for her and her alone-if she returns without a trophy, the hunt is considered a failure and can never be undertaken again.

If she should succeed, Theenya will no longer be a mere trophy herself, but a full fledged Flurryspear clan member-capable of choosing her own partner, engaging in trade, or even renouncing them and returning to her people if she so wishes. This is her only hope, she believes, of avoiding an arranged marriage to an unworthy mate-since, being silly and still something of a romantic, Theenya still has the fluttering belief in true love and destiny. Then again, she has not faced the storms full fury yet...     
[?] You find yourself amidst large, snow-covered trees. You can't tell what else is around without exploring the hex.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((GUNIN has been shunted to the waitlist and Dwarmin is in.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes of Ice RTD [Turn 0: Mistakes]
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 05:29:04 pm »

Examine belongings, explore. Search for food.
Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4