Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51701 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Now - Banished, a 3d Survival Village Builder
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2014, 12:04:26 pm »

So this name just randomly generated for me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I MUST DO IT.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2014, 01:03:11 pm »

I pretty much just randomize until I get a stupidly German-long name.

Though my current village is Liberia. Randomly-generated too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2014, 01:53:50 pm »

My most perfect fishing dock.  2400 fish in the first full year.   :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »

Hm. I think I'll need to re-jigger my docks. As it is, I have them just covering as much water between them as I can, instead of focusing on maximizing per-person output. I was trying to save space rather than save manpower. I have a point pretty much like that, if anything it has even more water, and it's split between two docks.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 23, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

SO... Working with some friends we started working out on what is the Optimal size to make your farms. We discovered that the a 7x8 farm is the max size for ONE Farmer to work it, in doing so, he has a higher chance of getting a 100% yield and full harvest in the time allowed. I also found that the average amount harvest from a farm this size is 392 units, which when sometimes leading to a bumper crop over or maybe a little less you can easily build 4 of these farms within the same sized area of the normal max farm size and get a constant amount...

http://puu.sh/77vSV.jpg

Here you can see the graph of the harvest coming in and making due with the fish/plants/livestock produce over winter, the harvest making a huge bump each time and increasing each year forth, The dip was that of BEFORE I removed my initial farms of 15/10 which had me using over 40 farmers to keep running and even then not even getting 100% yield or harvest...

Now I am working on Orchids, what is the minimal size (I guess 7x8 again) for one farmer and their average harvest...

One of those friends I mentioned before is actually building a village which has limited user interaction, that is that after building the constructions (or placing them and pausing) he removes himself from direct control. This includes not building additional housing beyond a certain amount. He is currently waiting to see when his last citizen will pass and if Nomads will still come to his empty village. Last heard, 33 years have passed and the last one is 84, close to passing...

Sounds weird, I managed to harvest 700 food from larger-sized crops with a single worker. Are your workers educated, happy, using steel tools, and is the barn very close to the crop ? The other explanations could be that the type of crop I was using had higher yield, or using mild weather on startup gave me better harvests maybe ?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 23, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »

The other explanations could be that the type of crop I was using had higher yield
I have no proof for it but I'd say thats quite possible. I only had peppers and squash in my farms but the peppers seemed to give a higher yeild and it's harvested earlier too.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2014, 08:20:04 pm »

Finally got up into the achievement-echelons of population. T'was a rough time, but we made it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 23, 2014, 09:33:10 pm »

What does the market range does? Is it the range where people go there or the range for the storage?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2014, 09:46:51 pm »

Houses in that range will go to the market to get their goods, instead of any storage location that might be closer.

Houses outside that range, MAY go to the market if it's closer than any other storage location. I am not entirely sure about this part, it makes sense that they would though.

Vendors will go out and grab resources from any storage location on the map. I don't think they deliver goods to houses, I think it's members of that house that go to fill their larders themselves.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:46 pm »

What I want SOOOOO BAD is a storageyard manager...
WHY IS THERE IRON ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP NEXT TO MY WOODCUTTER WHEN THE STORAGEYARD NEXT TO MY IRON MINES ARE EMPTY!!!
No I did not just gather some wild iron, this is literally from the mines...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:06 pm »

The other explanations could be that the type of crop I was using had higher yield
I have no proof for it but I'd say thats quite possible. I only had peppers and squash in my farms but the peppers seemed to give a higher yeild and it's harvested earlier too.
Seconded. I have one of every crop type, and beans grow fastest.
Squash, Wheat and peppers can deal with snow a lot better too.
But this is all from memory, I didn't actually set up an experiment.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2014, 11:28:00 pm »

This game is a bit ridiculous at times. Didn't manage to get my food industry up in time and one fishing dock isn't enough to feed 20-odd people. So everyone starves to death, standard 'fuck you got mine' occurs and I'm left with two families; a pair of twentysomethings with two kids living with them, and their single daughter who has just moved out, age twelve or so. SO they're fishing and whatever, the daughter McKennessa has a kid, I figure she must have had a husband who starved or something. At this point nobody has a job other than 'fisherman'.

And they still can't feed themselves. First the kids starve, then the wife Malvira. Vestevance the husband apparently can't handle this, and resorts with concerning speed to incest - he has another two kids with his daughter, one starves before he does, the other a little while after.

Finally, we're left with McKennessa on her own. Surely she can produce enough fish to feed herse- nope.

And that's how I learned that 'having no townsfolk' is not a Game Over in Banished.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:10 pm »

That's weird. I had a hard time killing off my village just today. I left it running for an hour at top speed and the only thing that happened was a lot of old people died and were replaced.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2014, 11:50:02 pm »

I think the abysmal happiness and health might have had something to do with it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:44 am »

Gah...
Getting tired of this, ALL MY BARNS ARE FULL OF FOOD!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:32:20 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28