Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51707 times)

ShiningRock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Banished: 3d Village-builder with survival elements
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2013, 08:02:47 am »

Will there be the ability to go First Person as a little guy, not to interact or anything, just to explore your village from a different angle?
I'm not planning on it - There's no sky, the mountains end abruptly, and the textures really aren't high res enough to make this look good.

Will townspeople require/desire any form of leisure or entertainment?  Will there be any pets/guard animals in the game?
At the moment there is no leisure or entertainment, and no pets. I've thought about it - it could be used to increase happiness, but it would decrease production. Still undecided.

Non-humans, would that be animals or monsters? from watching the video, I get the feeling that folktale entities might be fitting.
You're on the right track....

Will there be some mode where we are basically guaranteed to die a horrible death, or a mode where we ARE guaranteed a horrible death?
I'm on the fence about this - you can play for a long time, but after a while the supply of stone, iron, and other non-replaceable resources will make things really hard. After that happens, you can't make new tools, which will grind production to a near halt. You can try to trade for these things, but the merchants aren't predicable at the moment.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2013, 08:31:18 am »

* Skyrunner whistles, sidling into the thread.

Posting to watch.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2013, 12:14:18 am »

Will there be some mode where we are basically guaranteed to die a horrible death, or a mode where we ARE guaranteed a horrible death?
I'm on the fence about this - you can play for a long time, but after a while the supply of stone, iron, and other non-replaceable resources will make things really hard. After that happens, you can't make new tools, which will grind production to a near halt. You can try to trade for these things, but the merchants aren't predicable at the moment.

I appreciate the challenge of managing limit resources but I hope there will be some sort of 'infinite' mode as well (or at least moddable values). In the original pre-combat-considerations spirit of this game, and games like it, I tend to have the most fun when I don't have to worry about time limits and resource limits; I'd like to keep playing without being punished for surviving/prospering too long. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2013, 10:01:56 am »

ptw
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2013, 04:14:15 pm »

This looks like right up my alley.

Definitivly keeping an eye on this.
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2013, 06:48:07 am »

Will townspeople require/desire any form of leisure or entertainment?  Will there be any pets/guard animals in the game?
At the moment there is no leisure or entertainment, and no pets. I've thought about it - it could be used to increase happiness, but it would decrease production. Still undecided.

Every wilderness survival lesson includes an important tidbit - you need to keep yourself entertained somehow or you'll go crazy and fuck things up. That's why Scouts take up whittling. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you released a survival sim where the people trying to survive didn't have to amuse themselves.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Banished : 3d Village-builder with survival elements
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »

It's a bit of a bunch, but I just found out about this game, and holycraptitlooksgreat.

I'd love to have a little MP action. You know, compete with another player on the same map, build up, jostle for resources. Or co-operate. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2013, 05:35:54 am »

Not sure if i should have started a new topic, but this thread is still relavent.

Was just posting to say this is on it's way to completion, RPS had an article on it semi recently http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/25/banished-is-nearly-done-and-why-cant-it-be-out-nowww/

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2013, 06:23:09 pm »

Thanks for reviving it, I have missed that.
So interesting that there was no kickstart thing for it?
Beautiful and sounds very cool.

Also, having no combat will turn this into a niche game I guess.
At least the dev didn't rush combat in to it, like one of the Anno games that felt like that (can't remember if it was 1701 or 1404). When it came to the combat part, it made me want to print that code and burn it.
And then remove it from the game. Of course.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

For a while the whole no combat thing was strange to me. Then I realized if there's combat in a game like this I'd want it to be against natural forces (packs of wolves, or something like that) rather than other settlements or something like that, combat shouldn't be the main focus in this kind of survival game. Hunting, yeah, an actual war... not so much.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2013, 06:36:21 pm »

As for infinite play, perhaps make non-renewable resources into degrading resources, so that for example a quarry will produce stone until it goes "dry" and after that it only produces 1/10th the amount of stone.

"Why aren't you at work Harold?"
"Quarry ran out of stone"
"What, is the planet empty?"
"Well remember all that overtime we've been doing ..."
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:16 pm »

Yep..no combat can work, I remember Stronghold "civilian" and sandbox missions, it was cool (also, the combat element in this peaceful path was with wildlife - I remember one of them including wolves).
But many people can't let go of the idea that all games should offer combat and something to kill. Hopefully it won't affect the game.

And yeah, something must enable infinite play, hopefully that is already covered.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2013, 07:17:30 pm »

Maybe have another civ stop by and offer to protect your village from outside incursion if you pay tribute. So you choose between ignoring military and paying resources for defense, or fighting with outside civs but you don't have to pay tribute.

Maintaining your own military would probably cost about as much as the tribute.

So it's all about your personal preference and whether you can handle roleplaying a vassal village.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2013, 07:40:16 pm »

Or maybe have an option in the world-gen screen of "Military y/n?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2013, 01:31:30 am »

PTW
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28