Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Observational Trap avoidance on non-diplomats  (Read 496 times)

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Observational Trap avoidance on non-diplomats
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:12:37 am »

You know how if a diplomat sees a trap, then that civilization later attacks you, they're immune to the trap the diplomat saw?
I think it would be an interesting idea to have non-diplomat units that could do this as well.

For example, you're at war with the humans.  Currently, since you're at war, they aren't going to sent their diplomat to see any more traps, ao they're perfectly vulnerable to all of your new traps.
With this, they could sent a couple of stealthed spys to look around, record any traps they see, then leave.  If they get out without being killed, their civilization would now be immune to those traps.  This would also give perma-war civs, like goblins, a way to overcome your traps, which could help reduce how overpowered traps are a bit, without nerfing them directly.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Observational Trap avoidance on non-diplomats
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »

+1
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:27 pm »

+1

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:14 pm »

hmm, players would probly just build around this. Every trap i ever built for example are mega or semi-mega projects on their own and are sealed off and dormant unless im face with a siege, in which them become my fort's only entrance. This means such spies would never have a chance to see most of my traps, only the few i have scattered about to capture wild animals (though this is just my build order, i dont build like this to counter diplomats/spies).

Im assuming these spies are trapavoid and a trap counts as "seen" if they ever move over it; which means at the simplest if this was implemented, the counter would simply be a sacrifical kitten or 2 chained at the entrance to traps to trip them up.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:42 pm »

This gives something between Kobolds and Megabeasts the ability to get past traps without having to give a race trapavoid, forcing players early-mid game to not rely just on traps without making traps useless. 

I think diplomats make their civilization immune to any trap they see, not just ones they walk over, so even if you have a couple cats by the entrance, they've still made their siege immune to your entrance way.  This will also encourage new strategies on how to reduce this, such as having a longer hall before the traps to keep them out of visual range or including a bend in your entrance way to keep them out of line of sight. 

Personally, I also like to put traps by the side of my entrance so they will hit creatures trying to come in but not block caravans.  Properly placed, a lot of creatures will path through it, seeking the shortest path.  This will make them immune to those traps.