Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Forge setup try  (Read 3475 times)

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Forge setup try
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:34:19 am »

Hi guys,
I am currently planning to reroute some magma from the volcano in my embark to an underground forge area, and have a question if this design would work:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the channels on the bottom right are below the planned forge area.
I ask because I read that volcano magma had no pressure, if the magma would a) flow that far and b) really not overflow (as the volcano has a few z-levels above this.
Planning to dig into the pipe by carving a fortification and, while it gets carved, setting some stone to be smoothed elsewhere, so the carver runs away asap.
Also, drawbridges can be raised/lowered while magma is on them, can they not?
Because that would be my safety measure against the magma crabs that killed my smiths on the original embark.
So, any dangerous/‼FUN‼ thing worth mentioning?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Forge setup try
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:43:42 am »

In DF, a fluid having 'pressure' is about whether or not it will flow upwards, rather than how far it will flow. A fluid will always flow on the same z-level until it's got nothing deeper than a 1/7 tile. As magma pipes refill, and magma does not have pressure (unless maybe if it's being pumped? It's been literally years since I played), this isn't going to be a problem for you. My standard method for 'breaching' a pipe was to smooth and fortify the tile next to the last tile, then go up a z-level and channel out that tile (make sure your miner doing the channeling has a way out, usually a simple staircase to the surface).)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:43 am »

Channeling will be hard as the pipe goes up further, so I cannot channel something out of the side, if that is what you meant.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:43:59 am »

Some advice:

- Make some peasant mine the last tile, so you don't waste some useful dwarf if anything goes wrong.
- It will take a long time for the magma to flood your channel.
- Only channel the tiles blocked by your magma workshop. This makes it impossible for magma critters to invade your fortress.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:49:47 am »

Already anticipated point 2, already did point 3 ;)
Ninjaedit: Doing point 1, though.
Real edit:
Also, in the screenshot you can see the bridges that are designed to keep critters out.
They wouldn't spawn outside the volcano/magma sea, would they?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:11:26 am by Frelus »

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:06 am »

Yeah they only spawn inside the volcano / magma sea. It's rare for them to get into your magma channels, but if you built the workshops right above the spaces, they can't get in anyway.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:13 am »

Yeah, last game I built the stuff on a volcano, worked on getting it floored off, but while trying, ‼FUN‼ visited from down there...

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:22:35 am »

I have a magma man inhabiting my volcano for 3 years now.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:34:43 am »

Do you want to send him some rocks by cave-in-express? ;)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »

That setup looks good :)

I usually try to build it a bit closer to the volcano so the magma doesn't have to travel quite so far, but what you have should work well.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:39:40 pm »

So, finished, after 1 year or so I have got 4-6/7 magma in all the tiles that I need right now.
With the beautiful addition that I can simply open 2 bridges to let a lot more flow in.
I am also thinking of an emergency "fill the main staircase with magma" device right now....
Well, it will have to wait to tomorrow, good night!

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:47 am »

I've not tried this yet, but I believe that a pump set up at the surface of a magma pipe will pressurize the magma flow at a tap lower down.  The pump dumps it's outflow directly back into the pipe.

The problem with a tap is that even with plenty of magma above the opening the flow still oozes slowly down the passageway.  As long as the level at the tap is at 7/7 no new magma will flow in.  Usually a pump is setup right at the tap but in my case that was not an option.  Any 'lifted' magma should 'push' magma out at the lower level.

Anyone out there actually do this?  Did it work?

p.s. fluids tend to flow quicker if the passageway is 2 or more levels deep.  You could try that instead.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:16:39 pm »

Have you thought of making the forge right where the magma is instead of re-routing the magma? IMO a minecart system that transports ores and finished products to and from your forges works just as well (i did this for my fort when i failed magma pump stacking). Also add a living quarters and some food in a stockpile and a dining room for your forge workers.