Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: True Knights: A Suggestion Game for All  (Read 27934 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: True Knights: A Suggestion Game for All
« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »

Firstly: lets get there first.

Secondly: We're dealing with low-level footmen (assumption), and they aren't going to have the superb experience nor training to fend off our larger, better-equipped force, even if we are greener.
Without the knowledge that they have something strange in their central tent, the closest of those words is bandits, (though our scout also didn't mention they aren't regulars).
On bandits: attacking unarmed & outnumbered caravans isn't quite the same in terms of 'fighting for a living' as being a regular in the army.
But, they're acting strangely, either because of inexperience themselves, or a trap.

In this situation, where we're dealing with a small force harassing enemy supply lines, they shouldn't be sticking around. They should have packed up and bugged out when they captured our scout.
If for some reason they aren't alarmed by this & don't behave like a regular guerrilla unit, even then they still know that we know they're present. We aren't on a road or supply route, we're in the middle of the forest. Why would a weak, and we're talking pitiful if we want to tempt them, patrol happen to come into their neighborhood within an hour of their camp being infiltrated? If they, somehow, hadn't bugged out already, they would then- it's just too fishy. We know they're there, that patrol isn't going to be there for any other reason, and we wouldn't send 5-10 men out to deal with 30.

Thirdly, in a straight fight- say we burst from the forest like a bat out of hell, and they're still just put-putting around camp: they're going to try to book it. Forget that we've got them outnumbered, forget that we have knights and archers. They're a guerrilla unit, they don't get attacked. If they're ever on the receiving end, they're probably about to be fucked six ways sideways. So we try to use the confusion and pants-shitting to our advantage, catching as many of them as we can before they split up and escape.
-edit
After all, they aren't very interested in that 100% casualty rate either, and when nearly all of them devote their time & effort to getting themselves to safety, our casualty rates will go down...rather fast.

We sit around on our laurels on the other hand, that just gives them time to not only meld back into the forest & use their smaller numbers to outpace us, all of them, but we even allow them the luxury to pack up their stuff.

First things first though,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-edit
btw, I'm just making the case for being aggressive. It isn't necessarily what I think kelarn should do when he gets there and the enemies are still just lounging about.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:15:42 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 20, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »

Assume nothing. That tends to get people killed.
My paranoia tells me that this is probably a trap, and I agree. I dunno, something just seems... suspicious.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #407 on: May 20, 2013, 07:00:56 pm »

Hm. So muster the troops, talk to corporals, move within spotting distance of the enemy camp. Good, good.

So the question is: send the runners, or don't? A simple yes or no should suffice, unless you have an addendum to the actual plan, in which case go right ahead.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #408 on: May 20, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »

[shamelessselfpromotion]By the way, new suggestion game up. Check it out if you've got the time.[/shamelessselfpromotion]

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #409 on: May 20, 2013, 07:42:24 pm »

mmkay, you already got the chat up the corps, then chat up runners/mav, so info to give to runners:
1.Our positions
2.What the scout said
3.What we're doing now, (moving to pursue)
4.Pertinent information from corps/impression of suspicious behavior
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 20, 2013, 07:57:16 pm »

Yeah, send the runners.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »

Send runners.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #412 on: May 21, 2013, 01:02:23 am »

You give Mavro a look, and she returns it, momentarily confused at your suddenly hardened features. A light of understanding crosses her face and she takes up her spear, hopping lightly to her feet and running over to join you. You approach the gathering of your corporals with Mav at your side, removing your hand from your belt and attempting to assume a sense of purpose. The effect is not noticeable from behind their enveloping helms, though they at least grant you a slight nod in greeting.

You address the three of them, speaking quickly but firmly. Right, we haven't much time, so I'll make this brief. From what we've learned the raiders know we're here, they have captured our lead scout and are currently holding him. Their eyes widen in surprise from behind their masks. Aiku crosses his arms, what can be seen of his face set in stone, and intones in your language with his rich, airy accent. Shall we mount a rescue, then? You shake your head with finality. Not possible. I'm afraid he'll remain secondary. We can't endanger the lives of our entire force just to save one man. They nod solemnly. It made sense. We'll be moving out now. Get the men into position around the edge of the forest, as close as you can get them without exposing ourselves. Can't risk tipping our hand until the others arrive. On that note, we'll have three of our scouts move out to rally the other companies, then concentrate our forces and go from there. Ginko leans towards his two brothers and speaks quickly in their tribal language. Aiku nods and turns back towards you. My brother would like to know, will we simply be sallying as one, or will the other companies attack from separate positions? His brow furrows with thoughtful concern. I understand his feelings about cutting off the enemy's escape, though if we were to run into trouble, it would be quite difficult to alter our tactics in the heat of combat. You're opening your mouth to reply when suddenly Mavro speaks up. I'm sure the other companies can handle themselves. We haven't a general, each group has operates on its own authority once they're on the battlefield. They aren't limited by a high command, and as such they have the ability to improvise new tactics at any time. She glances at you, that fiery disposition flashing at you from just behind her eyes. It fades just as quickly as it came and she manages to bring herself under control, turning back towards the others. I'm sure whatever Sir Kelarn decides, the others will be more than capable of carrying out. The corporals voice their agreement, apparently impressed with your squire's bravery, and you regard her with approval.

You turn your attention back to the matter at hand, raising your voice to address the entire company. Very well. We're breaking camp men! Have the runners guide the other companies to our eventual position near the enemy camp, you'll have to establish it first so get to it, and stay quiet. I want all of this done within the hour, so do your job, and do it right the first time. Consult your officers and move out. Your men call affirmatives and the force is soon moving softly through the wood.

Two hours later the entire band of mercenaries has been assembled along the edge of the grove. You've been watching the camp quietly from your position near a trio of fallen trees, the only place that offers a man of your size any sort of cover. Your scouts were wrong, the Litelachians number more than forty total, and there's likely about a dozen more that you haven't seen yet. You swear under your breath. This isn't going to be quite as easy as you'd hoped. Victory is still assured by sheer force of numbers, but it may be a costly one. You shrug mentally. They are only mercenaries after all, but they're still human beings. You hear the men talking quietly a few feet away from you. Not quietly enough however, as one of the veteran soldiers reprimands them in an angry whisper. They seem to be getting restless. The raider sentries are in the same position they've been for the past thirty minutes, since their last shift. You pause to glance upward at the sky and note the lack of clouds, not even the slightest wisp. Someone muffles a cough and you hear scattered snickering. You look backwards at the troops, crouched behind thick trees and lying in low ditches. They seem as ready as they'll ever be.

Player Character
Name: Nerev "Kell" Kelarn
Race: Human
Home Region: Kiltrar
Affiliation: The Gray Blades

Armour: Full Reinforced Gantinite Plate - impervious to piercing damage, high slashing defence, average crushing defence; heavy - jumping, dodging and sprinting is impossible; become tired more quickly
Weapons: Black Iron Kite Shield, Light Silver Long Sword
Equipment: None. For stored gear see the Extra Character Details subject line at the bottom of the OP.
Wealth: 1040 Silver Coins
Health: Well

Main Non-Player Character
Name: Alexendria "Mav" Mavro
Race: Human
Personality: Intelligent and eager to learn. Brave of heart, brazen and chivalrous. Honour is a huge inspiration, being the type of person that would throw her entire self into a conflict, even when faced against tough odds. Prideful, especially when challenged but when broken has a tendency of temporarily assuming a defeatist attitude. Well versed in hand fighting and weapon combat, but tends to favour a spear.
Appearance: Lean and athletic, her height is above-average for her age. Long brown-blonde hair surrounds her smooth, sharp features and lightly freckled cheeks and accents her jet black irises well.

Armour: Training Leathers
Weapons: Polished Steel Spear, Light Banded Buckler
Equipment: None.
Wealth: 10 Silver Coins
Health: Well

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Honour (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Forces (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:45:22 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #413 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:59 am »

Weell, the higher numbers make me nervous. Since they're lollygagging, could you provide us  a map of the clearing? We may be able to set up a plan of attack while we wait for reinforcements.
Badges of honor

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #414 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »

Weell, the higher numbers make me nervous. Since they're lollygagging, could you provide us  a map of the clearing? We may be able to set up a plan of attack while we wait for reinforcements.
Maps are not convenient for me. Sorry.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »

posting to watch....

my thoughts about what to do were basically "we have archers, could we increase our advantage by setting fire to as many tents as possible?"

if we do that shortly before the attack, or as the attack starts we should be able to engage at much more favorable terms.

so a) kill lookouts (as many as possible, perhaps let one on the opposite side of the camp to the main attack get a warning out), b) set fire to as many tents as the archers can hit. c) charge.

basically maximize the confusion, and while attacking focus on anyone trying to rally the troops in an organised way.

They know we're here, but arn't sure when/where/how/if we are going to attack.

If we use the (solder organisation layout thingy) proposed earlier, it should be modified so that the wings are a bit stronger, with us taking a stronger role on holding the middle, with the archers behind us. We're immune to pointy things like arrows, so the archers don't need to worry about friendly fire when supporting us.

having a broader attack front, or 2 wings sweeping in will add to the confusion.

The biggest problem i could see is a sufficiently strong rally could end up hitting one side before the other can move to help support.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:15:14 pm by andy_t_roo »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2013, 08:22:12 pm »

You have no means to set fire to the arrows. That would require pitch or some other kind of oil, and the group has none with them.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:56 pm »

Well, we should really wait until reinforcements get here, especially with the reinforcements, though my plan of defending from an advantageous position seems more viable and more important now.

Or of course, if we decide to be aggressive, I have a plan. Kill the sentries one at a time or simultaneously, with three archers firing at one sentry. One archer might miss, and we're screwed. Two archers, he might not die. Three? Somebody's not going anywhere. Offer a minor, but substantial(to them) reward to anyone hits the throat(kill and silence in one!). This way, we can charge in without them having(much or immediate) warning. Cue slaughtering them as they flounder to get their gear.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2013, 08:41:51 pm »

Well, we should really wait until reinforcements get here, especially with the reinforcements, though my plan of defending from an advantageous position seems more viable and more important now.

Or of course, if we decide to be aggressive, I have a plan. Kill the sentries one at a time or simultaneously, with three archers firing at one sentry. One archer might miss, and we're screwed. Two archers, he might not die. Three? Somebody's not going anywhere. Offer a minor, but substantial(to them) reward to anyone hits the throat(kill and silence in one!). This way, we can charge in without them having(much or immediate) warning. Cue slaughtering them as they flounder to get their gear.
I said: Two hours later the entire band of mercenaries has been assembled along the edge of the grove.

I meant that EVERYONE was there, as in all 300+ men. That was my fault I suppose, but I thought you'd notice that 'the band' was referring to the entire contracted group, and not just your company. Sorry about that. :P

EDIT: I also included a new spoiler there at the bottom of the last post that you should check out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:44:48 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:46 pm »

Can you describe it please? Otherwise, will assume they camped in the center of a perfectly round clearing.

I agree that our archers might be the best way to open the conflict. Lets say we have our nine archers start picking off sentries & stragglers, (focus firing with all nine might get us somewhere even at range). They have a couple options of reaction:
1. Pick up what they can and flee
2. Rally & charge the archers' position
3. Turtle deeper inside their camp

The first is what I'd normally expect from an experienced group, and is hard to counter- we can split up our forces, but like old Frederick the second said: "he who defends everything defends nothing". They'd just punch through and escape, giving us casualties and the tail of the lizard.

The second would be the response from the inexperienced, and opens them up for a nasty ambush. Wouldn't count on this, but minor preparations could yield massive fruit.

The third is the most suspicious, and obviously stinks of a trap. This is what I suspect we'll see, meta-gaming.

Edit incoming with what I think we should do..
-new post: Huh, so you did mean everyone? That gives us options.

Assuming we're the 'most senior' in 'rank'.
Ok, convene the squad leaders and outline this plan:
We want to split off our forces into three groups: A main group which will contain roughly 120 infanty, plus all of our archers, plus 50 knights.
Two groups of 50 infantry and 25 knights, each.

We want to place the two detachments at 120* angles from our main force, so as to cover the far sides of the clearing and the enemy's egress. Their role is to hold the enemy in the event of the first reaction, and allow our other forces to close the gap.

Meanwhile, we'll wait until shift change, (it's fairly often yes?), and in so doing catch as many men at the outskirts, within easy arrow range, as possible. We'll want to only use a small amount of archers for this initially, because we want them to underestimate our numbers and hopefully charge.
In the event of an enemy rally and charge, we want to have ALL of our archers loose a final volley once they get near, an then charge with all of our forces.
In the event of a retreat, while our sister divisions move to intercept, our main force should charge and all our archers pepper the enemy for as long as it is safe.
In the event of a turtling, just bring all our archers to bear and pincushion their camp- try to drive them out or attrition them to death. Sorry gallus, but we have lots of lives at stake.

Do we have reason to believe there are more forces in the area?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:11:32 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36