Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36

Author Topic: True Knights: A Suggestion Game for All  (Read 27956 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: True Knights: A Suggestion Game for All
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »

The "skill" I had in mind was the wielder's skill.

A legendary warrior uses the mace. Then, later, another great warrior polishes, repairs, and reuses the legendary mace, increasing its reputation. Repeat until said reputation is great enough that only the best warriors are allowed to use it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:30 pm »

Ah, I was wondering more about the fact that its indestructable.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2013, 06:56:34 pm »

Also: we know others know we have those maces in our apartment, and that they can get in without waking us. Hmm.
The senator's men confiscated them, so he ordered them to return them later.

How much enemy resistance would we encounter on the Borma mission?  What forces would we have on our side by default?  These are all things we should consider before making our choice.  I don't think we should take the mission unless we have a rough estimate of the enemy forces, so we can decide if we want to recruit people ourselves or whatever.

Now the twin maces are another story entirely.
They're valuable beyond measure. All the gold in the world wouldn't be enough to buy even half of either one, not that you could destroy one if you wanted to. Patrichlan artefacts are wondrous things, powerful and dangerous, with a nebulous nature and origins founded in blood and magic. They are the key to our world's past. It is said that holy weapons just such as these are the only way to enter their sunken temples, in which lie the greatest treasures in all the land.
If you ever do venture near the coast, be on guard. They will never cease their hunt, to return what is rightfully theirs.

No magic. Warfare involves Knights backed by armour back by infantry. No magic. When I say armour, look at my avatar and you'll get the idea of what I mean by that. Knights are immensely powerful and there are usually about 10 for every 100 men. Only soldiers of Kiltrar are all armed with firearms, other countries will have riflemen companies as a supplement but most of their troops will simply be armed with spears or blades.

Kiltrar is the only place that is truly industrialised, but there's always some people in every country that rely on machines during daily life.

So still no magic?  Are extremely advanced technology and magic considered the same thing by some people?  Just clarifying because I'm kind of curious just how special these maces are and how they might play into the plot.

Oh and I also noticed that there was mention of "burnt shells of tanks" in one of the first posts.  How prevalent are tanks and how does a knight compare to one for purposes of combat?
The garrison only saw fit to ask for one knight, and the request isn't urgent or special, so logically you should be able to handle this alone or with minimal back up. The garrison will assist you any way it can, but you're the mercenary. This is what you're paid to do.

Some people believe in magic, some don't. Whether or not it does exist depends on the way you interpret what you see on your journeys. But yes, the Patrichlans have a deeply spiritual culture and so most will be confused about machines or the like, though some of their own artefacts (such as the 'indestructible' maces) are quite confusing and mystical to the mainlanders (you, the players, that is). Otherwise most tech is not a wonder, even to commoners.

Most war is waged with infantry, but international conflict usually sees armour being deployed to support them. Tanks are expensive toys and even a rich mercenary company such as the Gray Blades only has about a thousand (stockpiled and captured over the decades) spread across the Continent. Most commanders try to keep their Knights away from tanks since they're heavy infantry and cannot escape quickly enough to avoid being destroyed by the main gun. Some knights have historically been known to deal with tanks though. Kiltra almost exclusively uses firearms and armoured infantry and vehicles, but luckily they have never really had a taste for conquering. Litelache is experimenting with light armoured vehicles and artillery for delivering troops for assaults, infantry support, urban combat and harassing flanks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:02:57 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2013, 07:14:54 pm »

Sturdy construction, exotic materials, and/or bearers who know how to take care of their weapons?

Or maybe it's magic.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:01 pm »

Sturdy construction, exotic materials, and/or bearers who know how to take care of their weapons?

Or maybe it's magic.
Who knows? Not me. ::)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2013, 08:47:03 pm »

So you want to go to Borma? Also, do you want a squire from the church? You don't need to pay him of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »

Yes and why not?
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »

Question. So is it 'Tanks >Everything, Knights>Infantry, Infantry>Nothing'?

Or do infantry have anti-tank weapons so that tanks are more to counter knights?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2013, 09:32:06 pm »

Knights generally don't have anti-tank weapons. If a knight kills a tank he'll rush it punch a lance through the hull and kill the crewmen one at a time, or get a grenade and spike the main gun (drop the grenade down the barrel). Infantry beat tanks because they're mobile and they can swarm them. Tanks don't have machine guns, just one big cannon or lots of smaller heavy rifles, so really they're just self-propelled artillery for killing knights, massed infantry, other tanks and fortified positions. Infantry can't carry guns big enough to pierce a good knight's armour, so thats what tanks are for.

Tanks beat Knights beat Infantry beat Tanks

Naturally there might be anti-personnel vehicles here or there, or knights with anti-tank weapons but the different nations all have separate R&D programs as well as hugely different cultures and preferences. I'd hate to ruin all the surprises I have for you guys by just telling you everything. :P Not to say I don't want you to ask questions either, since sometimes I forget important things. ^-^

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2013, 09:33:34 pm »

I actually went with bane bane (oceana) first, then borma second.
I vote no squire.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »

...Are there aircraft?

I sure as hell hope so.

For the merc contracts, I vote for Hiketo first, since it's a one-time deal. Then Chokoba, for a cool-down, and then the Borma one. We should get a squire; it'll be nice to have someone help us with armor and weapons, someone to trust, someone to talk to, someone to get exposition from, someone to give exposition to, and someone who we can teach to be cool and then have them save us at some critical moment and later die so we all get emotional.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2013, 09:41:50 pm »

Why don't antitank tactics work against knights?
Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:40 pm »

Infantry anti-tank tactics involve jamming explosive lances into the ports, treads and exhaust of a tank and crippling it. Or spiking the gun and making the vehicle useless, or laying volatile explosives in the tank's path and hoping they explode when crushed by the treads. Rocket propelled explosives don't exist, and shrapnel doesn't damage decent armour. Of course someone could rush the knight with a bomb or a lance (which is actually what they usually do) but thats what knights are trained to overcome. The knights are bigger than normal people so you need really long, heavy lances in order to overcome their reach, and even if you do get close enough to poke him by that time you're dead. Yes knights can be defeated by coordinated infantry tactics, but thats why they have support. Knights are devastating but only in the proper situation, just like any military asset.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »

I vote no squire.
Why? Its good for everyone to know why you think so.

For the merc contracts, I vote for Hiketo first, since it's a one-time deal. Then Chokoba, for a cool-down, and then the Borma one. We should get a squire; it'll be nice to have someone help us with armor and weapons, someone to trust, someone to talk to, someone to get exposition from, someone to give exposition to, and someone who we can teach to be cool and then have them save us at some critical moment and later die so we all get emotional.
Do you guys want to do this?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:51 pm »

Infantry anti-tank tactics involve jamming explosive lances into the ports, treads and exhaust of a tank and crippling it. Or spiking the gun and making the vehicle useless, or laying volatile explosives in the tank's path and hoping they explode when crushed by the treads. Rocket propelled explosives don't exist, and shrapnel doesn't damage decent armour. Of course someone could rush the knight with a bomb or a lance (which is actually what they usually do) but thats what knights are trained to overcome. The knights are bigger than normal people so you need really long, heavy lances in order to overcome their reach, and even if you do get close enough to poke him by that time you're dead. Yes knights can be defeated by coordinated infantry tactics, but thats why they have support. Knights are devastating but only in the proper situation, just like any military asset.
Firstly, why do explosives work better on tank armor than Knight armor?
Second, do you think a properly-made "mecha" could combine the strengths of a tank and Knight?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36