Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the mechanics of weapon traps, and how to weaponise them against [TRAPAVOID]  (Read 957 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Hello there, another idea from Eo.

So, how does weapon trap triggering work? Does it get triggered, and then hit anything on the square, or can it only hit what triggered it? Because dropping insane elves on weapon traps, for the purposes of hitting a Forgotten Beast with masterwork candy blades and silver hammers, seems to be a very dwarfy way to use them.
(personally, I would make a giant butt statue and use it to launch elves at Forgotten Beasts, but I'm not sure if that's either possible or appropriate...)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

It hits whatever is on the tile. You can drop people on it, web it, if people are paralzyed/unconciousness/sleep on them they activate... and upright spears/spikes hit trapavoids anyway.

You can also push people with dust, water or magma into traps, they activate then as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Okay, that part of the BUTTELFCANNON is working. Next thing...

Do bridges throw stuff into a predictable square/group of squares?

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, that part of the BUTTELFCANNON is working. Next thing...

Do bridges throw stuff into a predictable square/group of squares?
Personal experience has taught me that it's a pretty wide spread, and quite random.

I once made a bridge-a-pult to throw elves into a square that had 10 foot holes, traps, or spikes set in random places. I also made one that threw them right into magma, but one landed on the inside natural lip of the volcano and he got back into the base and strangled my legendary armorer or weapon smith (can't remember, was long ago). I stopped using it after that.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile

One of the best anti-trapavoid traps I've seen involved pressure plate abuse. The basic design was a split-path airlock, with a pressure plate used to switch which door was open and which was closed. The pressure plate was set to trigger on any creature, including civilians, and stepping on it would force the creatures to path down the recently-opened hallway. Full of cage traps, clearly.

Anything that didn't trigger the plate would go down the hallway that was already open, and proceed to get perforated by adamantine upright spears set to repeat.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

alternately, you can always just have a door underneath an open channel of magma. forbid it to your dwarves, and design it to seal off the area if the magma ever spreads... because many trapavoid enemies can get past forbidden doors. when the door is opened, the magma begins to spill. the door can then no longer close, because there is magma in the way, allowing more to flow through.

this also works with having large numbers of objects stockpiled on top of the doors (or at least, it did last time i checked). you can put all sorts of things there: buckets full of water, anvils, safes (well... metal bins anyways. i recommend lead), boulders, and a horde of angry cats being just a few of the other options. sadly, i don't think you can get a piano up there without a mod, as pianos do not exist in vanilla DF.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i don't think you can get a piano up there without a mod, as pianos do not exist in vanilla DF.

Harp+bed+a couple ivory crafts.  It's close enough!
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"