Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New game! Kenshi on steam!!  (Read 5410 times)

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New game! Kenshi on steam!!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 03:41:44 pm »

Honestly Levi it is a lot more unfinished then you would think.

If a skeleton is just the barebones additions required for a game to function... This game is just the bones of a hand.

I like it and all but in my oppinion it is BARELY playable and is reasonably unplayable. If you bought it now it wouldn't really be to play it for any real amount of time unless something about its mostly barren world appeals to you.

hey did the creator kick start his project or what?

why wouldnt he just kick start it?
He did, it didn't make its mark.

oh shit.... what was his target goal?
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kenshi-a-free-roaming-squad-based-rpg

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 03:44:02 pm »

No offence but this guy sounds like a very clever spambot.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 03:45:39 pm »

No offence but this guy sounds like a very clever spambot.

Spambot =/= spammer/advertiser.

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »

Honestly Levi it is a lot more unfinished then you would think.

If a skeleton is just the barebones additions required for a game to function... This game is just the bones of a hand.

I like it and all but in my oppinion it is BARELY playable and is reasonably unplayable. If you bought it now it wouldn't really be to play it for any real amount of time unless something about its mostly barren world appeals to you.

hey did the creator kick start his project or what?

why wouldnt he just kick start it?
He did, it didn't make its mark.

oh shit.... what was his target goal?
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kenshi-a-free-roaming-squad-based-rpg

Why didn't he just go for 15,000? Dang... all he needed was the sound engine anyway from what he has done so far.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:49 pm »

I backed this ages ago when it appeared on Desura. It's absolutely playable, but the lack of sound is a huge gaping hole that drags the rest of the game down with it, and I think the FPS isn't limited, so it runs pretty hot. Bear that in mind while playing.

There's not currently much to do, but there is character customisation, day/night cycle, squad recruitment, skill leveling (via use/rust system), visible equipment, faction relations, town hubs, guard patrols, trading/trade goods, some limited base/building construction system, and the biggest world map I have ever seen in any game, bar Daggerfall. 98% of it is sand and rocks, but still. Very few games scale the world realistically... this one does. The draw distance is mightily impressive- you can still see people moving around tens of miles away, even if they appear to be just a single pixel on the sandy horizon. Thankfully, to make up for this, you have control over the speed of time so you're not watching your guys travel for hours to the next city.

It also has an impressive health system. Damage occurs to different parts of your body, and the character's animations and gait accurately reflects where he's injured. There's lots of weapon types, and associated skills for using them. There's also non-combat skills, like medical and running and whatnot.

It's been a while since I played, so all of this is outdated knowledge, but it should give you a limited idea of what to expect. I do know that people have already started creating mods.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:38 pm »

It's absolutely playable

I am going to call you out on this.

When you start the game you are playing a character who is fundementally weaker then everyone else in a world that is essentially empty.

It is playable in the sense that you can "play it" but not on terms of being a game.

the biggest world map I have ever seen in any game

Huge mostly empty world except for land masses with few of anything to give points of interest. extremely sparse populated towns with perhaps 20 buildings in a bit city of which only 5 matter. In terms of significance the first Zelda is larger.

In fact its large world works against it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:11:52 pm by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 04:16:53 pm »

It's absolutely playable

When you start the game you are playing a character who is fundementally weaker then everyone else in a world that is essentially empty.

It is playable in the sense that you can "play it" but not on terms of being a game.

When you start the game you are given the option of playing a character who is fundamentally weaker then everyone else, a group of such people, an experienced soldier, a trader already in possession of trade goods, or several other archetypes.

It is playable and rather fun, if not indefinitely so, given the fact that it's in alpha.

Huge mostly empty world except for land masses with few of anything to give points of interest. extremely sparse populated towns with perhaps 20 buildings in a bit city of which only 5 matter. In terms of significance the first Zelda is larger.

In fact its large world works against it.

Alpha is alpha.  To play devil's advocate, our world was mostly empty a thousand years ago or so.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:14 pm »

When you start the game you are given the option of playing a character who is fundamentally weaker then everyone else, a group of such people, an experienced soldier, a trader already in possession of trade goods, or several other archetypes.

When was that added? Last I played you started with a pathetic weakling and that is all you got requiring you to grind dummies or lure enemies into guards to get experience.

If that changed I'll retract my statement. Since the ability to fight the weakest of the weak would improve things.

Still isn't anything fantastic, and I still wouldn't suggest buying it to play as there are better for the price, but it is playable.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:36:36 pm by Neonivek »

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 04:20:12 pm »

I didn't realize he never got it on the Kickstarter side... I would have went with just 15,000.... All he needed was a sound engine, it doesn't even have one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:55 pm »

I didn't realize he never got it on the Kickstarter side... I would have went with just 15,000.... All he needed was a sound engine, it doesn't even have one.

He couldn't legally. It was actually a big shame.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

When was that added?

January IIRC.  I'll likely go back to starting as a single weakling once the ability to join an existing army/faction is added in.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

baggiop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 05:11:16 pm »

Game looks good on picture and video clip ?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:28 pm »

It's absolutely playable

I knew you would. :) You're so infamous around here, that I actually anticipated you arguing this point as I was writing it!

It's playable just how you say: in the sense that you can "play it" but not on terms of being a feature-complete game. Thanks for the clarification.

Huge mostly empty world except for land masses with few of anything to give points of interest.

Just like I said. "98% of it is sand and rocks, but still." I then went on to quality why the scale impressed me despite its vast emptiness. You did read that far before hurrying off to 'call me out'... right? ;)

Thanks for the additional info, lordcooper.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »

Just like I said. "98% of it is sand and rocks, but still." I then went on to quality why the scale impressed me despite its vast emptiness.

Because it is misleading. It isn't meaningfully big and even less then 1% of it isn't sand and rocks. As well I didn't call you out on that.

Rather that the size of the world is secondary to what is in it and that making a world that is absolutely huge is actually rather easy to do.

Which was what I was saying in response to your enamouration to add to the conversation.

I knew you would.  You're so infamous around here, that I actually anticipated you arguing this point as I was writing it!

Yep but someone informed me that there are starter sets. So my original point is gone.

Also I am aware of my reputation and there isn't anything I can really do about that at this point (Even when I don't complain about something people take it as complaining about something). As well in these cases, where the forum tends to do its most damage, I like to get involved.

Mostly because I know how these threads go.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:55:17 pm by Neonivek »

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:27 pm »

It's only real draw back is the lack of sounds.. I mean really.
Pages: 1 [2] 3