Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naked Dwarf Problem  (Read 1714 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naked Dwarf Problem
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:45:57 am »

Just one. Narrowly avoided a clothing crisis, but I have one military dwarf that just refused to put clothes on. Thinking he might have been locked in and was trying to get a piece from outside the fortress, I let him loose...nothing. I check his status to if there's anything wrong with him, and he has completely lost the ability to grasp anything with either arm.

I never had a dwarf live through a trauma that bad before (good doctor, I guess?), is it possible he's not putting clothes on because he literally cannot put them on himself?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Naked Dwarf Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:43:57 am »

Since he's a military dwarf, there's also the possible explanation you've got his armor set to replace clothing and he doesn't have any armor.

I had a paralyzed adventurer once (he died very shortly after,) but never a fortress dwarf, so I'm unaware of the intricacies of equipping while unable to grasp.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:48:17 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:01:28 am »

He won't dress if he can't grasp, and he will spam you endlessly while trying too. A quick death or lycanthropy are all that will save him now.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 03:39:52 am »

If he still has some clothing on, you can try to danger room him (and possibly item drop him) into an all-powerfull Dwarf of War and unleash him on your unsuspecting goblins.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »

Rename him "Urist McNudist."

It even rhymes.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »

What injuries does he have? Motor nerve damage or missing hands won't heal, but if it's broken bones then they'll heal eventually. Unfortunately, he may go insane from the lack of clothing before then. Make sure you have good food available, and give him a fine bedroom with lots of furniture to admire. Also, hope that your expedition leader has free time and lots of social skills, as successful meetings can improve a dwarf's mood considerably.

Maybe put a meeting zone into his bedroom if his room is nice enough that he prefers to hang out there, as dwarves love talking to friends. Maybe a pasture filled with animals too, in case he decides to start a fight at some point.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:17:28 pm »

If he still has some clothing on, you can try to danger room him (and possibly item drop him) into an all-powerfull Dwarf of War and unleash him on your unsuspecting goblins.
Completely nude, and not happy about it. I could still do this though...

What injuries does he have? Motor nerve damage or missing hands won't heal, but if it's broken bones then they'll heal eventually. Unfortunately, he may go insane from the lack of clothing before then. Make sure you have good food available, and give him a fine bedroom with lots of furniture to admire. Also, hope that your expedition leader has free time and lots of social skills, as successful meetings can improve a dwarf's mood considerably.

Maybe put a meeting zone into his bedroom if his room is nice enough that he prefers to hang out there, as dwarves love talking to friends. Maybe a pasture filled with animals too, in case he decides to start a fight at some point.
He has nerve damage, but I changed the raws (hopefully in the right place) to allow nerve healing (because they can in real life). I may have changed them incorrectly though, because he's not healing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

Wrong kind of nerves, unfortunately. :/

The nerve tissue in the raws is for the nervous tissue within the spine (not that nervous tissue is found anywhere outside the spine). The nerves referred to by 'sensory nerve damage' or 'motor nerve damage' are controlled by the [HAS_NERVES] token in the creature, and getting rid of it doesn't heal acquired injuries. Those nerves are abstracted and not defined in the raws -- their functioning is fixed, and you can only say whether a creature does or doesn't have them.

A transformation will fix the dwarf up. Any transformation will do, not just a were one, but you should ask the modding forum about the most efficient way of doing that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:13 pm »

Wrong kind of nerves, unfortunately. :/

The nerve tissue in the raws is for the nervous tissue within the spine (not that nervous tissue is found anywhere outside the spine). The nerves referred to by 'sensory nerve damage' or 'motor nerve damage' are controlled by the [HAS_NERVES] token in the creature, and getting rid of it doesn't heal acquired injuries. Those nerves are abstracted and not defined in the raws -- their functioning is fixed, and you can only say whether a creature does or doesn't have them.

A transformation will fix the dwarf up. Any transformation will do, not just a were one, but you should ask the modding forum about the most efficient way of doing that.
Is there no way to fix this? It seems kind of odd that nerve damage to a spine can be modded to heal, but not nerve damage to everything else. That's essentially the exact opposite of where we are in health science right now.

Mitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »

Just the coding, I'm afraid. The nerves determining grasp, as noted above, pretty much just run on a bool.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 03:42:04 am »

Just the coding, I'm afraid. The nerves determining grasp, as noted above, pretty much just run on a bool.
I don't know what that means, but I assume it's not good news for my endeavors.

Back the the subject at hand: I've decided to reward this dwarf's poor fighting ability (he was bested by a single kobold) with a chance at redemption. He will now serve Uncle Urist in medical research.

I've figured it all out. Unconscious dwarfs don't seem to throw tantrums, and naked dwarfs can sit in a training spear danger room and actually take treatable damage (mostly smashed fingers, so generally non-lethal). The beds are fantastic in the VERY NICE hospital, so he's getting good thoughts from "sleeping in a nice room" (unless that's a glitch), being rescued, being fed food and served water, and being able to recuperate.

Interestingly enough, the "embarrassment" thought has completely vanished, and he's still naked as a jaybird. I guess at this point, so much of his body is in casts, he may as well be considered clothed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:06 am »

Bool = Boolean = yes / no.

If 'yes', the creature has nerves (not nervous tissue), and can have their stance and grasp parts rendered permanently non-functional by an appropriate attack to the appropriate body part.
If 'no', the creature has no nerves to be damaged.