Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Paddledmirrors - Battling Forts - Turn 7: Fortress Blues [Need More Overseers]  (Read 18834 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to Paddledmirrors!
A fortress of the Youth-Hame of Diversion, where dwarves compete against each other. Management and survival skills are put to the test, while other dwarves watch with great interest...
The proud symbol of Youth-Hame of Diversion

The challenge is simple in concept - take charge of one of the two rival groups of dwarves on the map, survive and overcome the opponents. This is complicated by the fact that each side is played for one year, and then inactive for the next. The dwarves are to survive entirely on their own, as direct interactions with the opposing side are strictly forbidden.

A hundred ago, a great dwarf withdrew from society to craft an artifact Sword. It was made from platinum, ringed with tin, engraved with the royal history, and shone brighter than the heavens. He called it Sheepbaited, the Pick of Labours. No longer was he to be a lowly sheep sharer, now he would be the Fortresses' and the civilization's greatest weaponsmith. He earned great dwellings, the best of booze, and a delightful pet rat. Life was good, and all loved him. Except for his brother, a milker, who was consumed with jealousy.

Inevitably, the brother became haunted by fey voices. He could no longer restrain himself, and in a feat of Elf-driven madness he stole the great artifact from the current Champion, melted it, and made a new artifact sword. This one was made from tin, menacing with spikes of platinum, and engraved with pictures of elves labouring. It became known as Maggotbodices, the Ladder of Jealousy. His dreams fulfilled, the withdrawing elf-spirit left him with the skills to rival his brother. He too would be great, famous and loved.

The crafter of Sheepbaited, the Pick of Labours, was driven mad by the defacement of his art. Stark-naked as the day he was born, one night he snuck into the hammerer's private armory, stole Maggotbodices, the Ladder of Jealousy, and cast it into the deepest reaches of the Magma Sea. As it hissed and melted, a rivarly was formed that would shape the Dwarves forever.

The brothers grew older, and grew apart. Their grudges became the thing of legends, and others were drawn to their plight. Under the banner of their legendary defacements, others nursed their own grudges and the rift grew. The old king Ineth Kindleshoot kept the factions at bay with his wise rule. But twenty years ago, he was lain into his tomb and his son Nil Arrowworld ascended the obsidian throne. His Majesty Arrowworld has not the wisdom nor the personality to keep this at bay. As tensions threatened to spill over, he came up with a solution - banish the whole lot of them, and let them work out their differences! Whomever does not starve out in the wilderness may return, and reign under the heritage of the greater brother. Either way, he didn't have to deal with it anymore.

Some whisper that the true purpose of this competition is to draw everyone's eyes away from the king. Whatever happened at Twigrelic in the early summer of 238 left a mark on him, and he hasn't been the same. He hasn't been drinking with fellow dwarves in the great halls, and some subjects have disappeared under suspicious circumstances. But he is the King by the right of inheritance, and his word is the law.

And it comes to me to prepare for this. As true dwarven law commands, direct combat is strictly forbidden. Shedding dwarven blood  would be against our ethics. Instead, they shall compete in the greatest sport - carving out the greatest fort.

I was sent ahead, to prepare the land for the fiercest rivalry to ever take place in dwarven history. The land is lush and remote, so I hope those fools find death or insignificance once we leave. If they were elves, they may resolve their differences. That is why elves are weak. Therefore, strike the earth!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark:

Area map:

Rules: (thanks everyone in the previous thread for helping with those!)

Mechanics:

Spoiler: Don't Forget (click to show/hide)

This should cover everything, will add as necessary.

Blue Fortress to the South (Odd Years)
Overseer List
Year 5: Ruhn - DONE!
Year 7: peregarrett - Current
[/spoiler]

Dwarf List

Red Fortress to the North (Even Years)
Overseer List

Dwarf List

Finally, two rules I would like to get input on:

Okay! Thank you for your interest, and let's have a blast of a competition!

Additional Info:
Spoiler: Deities (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:12:56 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paddledmirrors: A Tale of Two Fortresses and Old Grudges
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:37:57 am »

If you are interested, please specify which side you would like to oversee. Blue goes first, Red goes second. Repeat.
To ensure fairness, starting dwarves will be random/default.

However, feel free to request embark items for your faction. I will accomodate as possible.

Also, feel free to request any additional information from the world or setting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:27:23 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Sucession] Paddledmirrors: A Tale of Two Fortresses and Old Grudges
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:18 am »

Hey folks, is there interest in this? Due to sleep issues and social commitments I haven't finished the groundwork prep, but I am planning to do so today. Let me know if you'd like a hand in this madness!

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:47:17 pm »

I actually looked into doing a two fort map and decided not to try it due to problems that could come up with claiming resources/clothing outside their burrow and reserving them so no one could use them.  If that isnt a problem, I'd like a turn.  I'm competent but not a pro, so disregard if you need high quality :)
I'd prefer a Red turn.  If there is a red side dwarf thats described as weak or very weak, I'd like to claim that dwarf.

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32:51 pm »

I'll give this a go. Sign me up for Blue team.

I can't say that I've ever built a fort that wouldn't end up as a smoking pile of disaster after leaving it unattended for a full year, but I guess that's where the FUN comes in.
When I strike the earth it stays struck.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:29:54 am »

Could I be dorfed as a (preferably)military dwarf? I don't care which side...
Well, Dolwin wants a Red sider, so make me his Blue counterpart.

I may sign up for a turn later.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:45:28 am »

Seems interesting, I would love to have a turn in this. Sign me up for the Red team.

Also, when you say 'no direct interaction' with the opposite side, does that include *unfortunate accidents* such as *accidental* magma flooding?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:12:16 am »

Very interesting, not your old succession fort. Signing for a turn, preferably for the Red fortress of the North.
Would be glad to be dorfed as one of the noble positions associated with the Red fortress. (e.g. militia captain)
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:32:55 am »

Okay, updated post with names. Will post the save and additional starting info tonight!

I actually looked into doing a two fort map and decided not to try it due to problems that could come up with claiming resources/clothing outside their burrow and reserving them so no one could use them.  If that isnt a problem, I'd like a turn.  I'm competent but not a pro, so disregard if you need high quality :)
I'd prefer a Red turn.  If there is a red side dwarf thats described as weak or very weak, I'd like to claim that dwarf.

Claiming is not a problem, as dwarves only claim items they can path to. And if by some fluke a dwarf wants that sock from over there, well, tough. Dump it into magma.

Seems interesting, I would love to have a turn in this. Sign me up for the Red team.

Also, when you say 'no direct interaction' with the opposite side, does that include *unfortunate accidents* such as *accidental* magma flooding?

Only if you can REALLY make it look like an accident. Preferrably not, but everyone understands that accidents happen.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »

Ah, I was watching the other thread and didn't realize this one had started.

And as to the rules:
* I originally thought the caverns would be treated just like above ground, but the idea of being able to claim them sounds cool.  Maybe it could be part of the competitions: where winner is awarded use.
* So the two teams cannot build anything that connects to the other fort?  It sounds like the neutral zone of the nobles area would be the exception.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »

Only if you can REALLY make it look like an accident. Preferrably not, but everyone understands that accidents happen.
Darn it, I was think of getting a ballista tower facing the red side built, and setting it on repeat fire right before the turn ended.
Oh well.
The Derail Thread

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »

Oh, and I'd liked to be dorfed in as a book keeper or manager or something bookishlike. Those guys live a sheltered life... of course when they do die it's always in the most horrible, beautiful fashion! That's what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:55:09 pm by bkdevil »
When I strike the earth it stays struck.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:44:09 am »

Year 296. Records of the founding of Paddledmirrors, engraved at the Mountainhome of Youth-hame of Diversion for eternity

10th Slate - We are almost done with the unpacking. Some nice coloured stone, and many tools to get the project underway. I don't understand why king Nil Arrowworld puts up with this. Then again, with the rumors swirling about his evening activities... I'd better get to work. Workers may be listening.

6th Malachite - Did someone actually survey this damn place? The original schematics clearly indicated rooms to be dug under the river. You can't dig under the river, damnit! I tried to dig deeper, but I hit the aquifer. Now my hands are wet, carp this. I'll have some wine and think of a better solution later.

14th Malachite - Additional workers have arrived. This should speed things up nicely. They bring word that the rival factions have been acting a lot better, now that they are preparing for an expedition. Well, good luck to them.

20th of Malachite - Comissioned gathering of some edible plants to tide us over. I really hate this blade weed, though. It's completely useless and just gets tangled in my beard.

29th of Malachite - The Blue fort is done. With a nice bridge, secluded rooms to keep equipment and a dirt road. I'm proud of my work gang.

4th of Galena - a minor construction accident resulted in two injuries. Some wooden scaffolding folded on itself and hit a carpenter on the head. Fittingly, this happened on the Noble-House-On-The-River construction site. Damn nobles... Either way, the carpenter can walk it off. We got work to do.

1st Sandstone - The construction is nearly done. Starting to plan construction waste disposal, I really don't want to deal with it. Some boys have caught mussels, and threw their shells everywhere. And now I have to tidy it after them...

18th Sandstone - Additional workers have arrived. We should have this done in no time!

8th Limestone - The Noble house is built. Just above the river, coloured to match the fighting factions... I hope the damn noble likes it, whomever it will be.

14th Timber - Merchants passed by. We sat down, and inked down agreements to supply the future dwarves. Oh, and to make sure that they will trade with the right ones. Luckily the merchants don't particularly about this petty rivalry, and only grumbled mildly at having to come out to this ass end of nowhere. Well, good for them. Get out of my worksite.

10th Moonstone - The river and the ponds froze quickly. I'm glad my work here is done, it's getting really cold. REALLY cold. Somebody brought a kitten, and it froze under their bed while they slept. What a stupid animal, hey?

16th Moonstone - The red fort is done. That's all they get - we even furrowed a nice little dirt road to them. Whoop de do.

25 Moonstone - Tidying up time. The garbage disposal will take care of this, and we can be out of here! ((I am so extremely grateful for DFHack. This part would have taken forever otherwise))

4th Opal - During the garbage disposal rush, the same ill-fated carpenter tripped and fell to her death. I would mourn her, but some say it's for good luck. It's somehow fitting, to mark this place with blood before we depart.

10th Obsidian - And we are done! Everyone is thirsty and hungry and tired, but we can finally leave. In one year's time, the first dwarves will show up. Let them figure out this petty grudge, I want nothing more of it.

And we're off! Here is the save for the first, BLUE year.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7513

General reminder for a reclaim - everything is forbidden. Unforbid things (d-b-c) to make use of them (levers, beds, tools)

Be careful digging behind wooden walls. They are there for your safety.

You have a mostly walled-off area, and the land is plentiful. There are fish, plants and trees everywhere. You can get your pick and axe from behind the bridge - just use the lever.

Oh, I forgot to mention - you get nothing on embark :) I made sure to provide some skills that would help you not starve, go and make your clan proud!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:33:33 am by CognitiveDissonance »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 02:53:57 am »

All right! Time for the fort to start, that was faster than I'd expected.
The Derail Thread

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 02:55:07 am »

All right! Time for the fort to start, that was faster than I'd expected.

Really? I thought I took forever...

By the way, added a bit of extra info in the first post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11