Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Paddledmirrors - Battling Forts - Turn 7: Fortress Blues [Need More Overseers]  (Read 18819 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This was... more difficult than it should have been. But it's alive!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7537

Spoiler: potential bug (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: heads up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Central Bridge (click to show/hide)

Red will be short 1.5 months, but will have quite an army of dwarves to get everything up and running. Good luck!

Actually, I think we CAN use alerts in the case of emergencies, but both the Red team's burrow and the Blue team's burrow must be selected. Picture this:
1. It is the Red team's turn. The Blue dwarves have all been locked into their fortress, whilst the red team's doors are open. A previous Blue overseer had already created a burrow over the entire Blue fort.
2. A goblin siege suddenly arrives. The Red overseer turns on an alert on both the burrow over the Red fort (or peharps a panic room) and the burrow over the entire Blue fort.
3. Since the burrow over the Blue fortress covers eveything, the blue dwarves will continue doing whatever they were doing before the alert. At the same time, the Red dwarves will move behind the safety of the walls.
This way, the overseer is able to protect his dwarves without interacting with the other faction's dwarves. (we are supposed to let the other faction get slaughtered without intefering, right?)

Does that work? Can you designate more than one burrow for alert statuses? I didn't think you could, but I also never use alerts...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:56:10 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Actually, people from the old build crews coming in would be nice for the story we're writing, maybe we could make them nobles.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

Does that work? Can you designate more than one burrow for alert statuses? I didn't think you could, but I also never use alerts...
Yes, you can-I've done it often enough. All you have to do is create an alert, set it to whichever burrows you like and make it a civilian alert at times of need. When you want to turn it off, make the "No training" alert the civilian alert instead of it. If you want, I'll set it up in my turn.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:26:54 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, you can-I've done it often enough. All you have to do is create an alert, set it to whichever burrows you like and make it a civilian alert at times of need. When you want to turn it off, make the "No training" alert the civilian alert instead of it. If you want, I'll set it up in my turn.

But can you have more than one defensive burrow active? Because it looks like setting up Burrow 1, which is locked in Blue's territory, as the defensive burrow would cause all Red dwarves to freeze in their tracks. Vice versa would apply as well.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

But can you have more than one defensive burrow active? Because it looks like setting up Burrow 1, which is locked in Blue's territory, as the defensive burrow would cause all Red dwarves to freeze in their tracks. Vice versa would apply as well.
Well, I'm fairly certain that you can, but I could be mistaken. If I remember correctly, you basically have to create an alert, and simply select whichever burrows you want the alert to be set to. The selected burrows will be marked with an "A". When you do set the alert to a civilian alert your dwarfs will be limited to the burrows you selected.
I'll be testing this out on this save shortly to see if it actually works.

Edit:Also, about this:
The expedition leader is locked inside the blue team's fortress, right? That's probably why he did not move;ie. he could not path into the fortress. This is why we need a central noble room.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:53:46 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit:Also, about this:
The expedition leader is locked inside the blue team's fortress, right? That's probably why he did not move;ie. he could not path into the fortress. This is why we need a central noble room.

I tried unlocking the blue fort, but he didn't move then either. That said, the small house over the river is meant to be the centralized noble room. I tried to dig an underground one but well, river + aquifer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How goes the migrant hunt?
The Derail Thread

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are good to go! Link is above, but here it is again:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7537

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I took a turn at DrunkFortress last night, so I'm not at my best right now.  I can do my turn tonight or tomorrow, but if you guys wanted to push me back a turn so multiple people could play over the weekend, its totally understandable.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I took a turn at DrunkFortress last night, so I'm not at my best right now.  I can do my turn tonight or tomorrow, but if you guys wanted to push me back a turn so multiple people could play over the weekend, its totally understandable.

Your and your liver's efforts are appreciated. Rest well, and do this when you can :D

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got the file up and running.  I havent unpaused it yet, I need a couple answers first.

1)  There are some migrants still hanging around with Xs over them, so they havent been settled yet.  Are those supposed to go to me or Blue since they are currently on Blue's side of the river?

2)  I can forbid the blue depot and make one of my own, but what can I do if the traders spawn on the wrong side of the map?

I'm thinking that I can update the Blue burrow to include everything on their side of the river and lower the bridge connecting the 2 sides. Then make a red burrow on my side of the river for all my guys.  Let me know if this is ok or if I need to do something else.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1)  There are some migrants still hanging around with Xs over them, so they havent been settled yet.  Are those supposed to go to me or Blue since they are currently on Blue's side of the river?

2)  I can forbid the blue depot and make one of my own, but what can I do if the traders spawn on the wrong side of the map?
1) You get them, it's your turn, regardless of the river.

2) If they spawn on the wrong side, just lower the bridge, I think the lever for it is right next to it.
The Derail Thread

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) You get them, it's your turn, regardless of the river.

2) If they spawn on the wrong side, just lower the bridge, I think the lever for it is right next to it.

Yes and yes :D

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've played up to Autumn for my turn.  I'll have the writeup for that at least tonight, hopefully for the entire turn.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've played up to Autumn for my turn.  I'll have the writeup for that at least tonight, hopefully for the entire turn.

I look forward to it! I'm excited to see how the red fort pans out :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11