Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Paddledmirrors - Battling Forts - Turn 7: Fortress Blues [Need More Overseers]  (Read 18831 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is amazing :D Yeah, I will grab the turn and prep things up either tonight or tomorrow.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

Sorry about vanishing mysteriously after showing so much interest in the original thread. I suddenly got kicked out of the house and have been busy with moving into my own place.

Sign me up for a turn in Blue, and dwarf me as a blue militiadwarf, if possible.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Sign me up for a turn in Blue, and dwarf me as a blue militiadwarf, if possible.
I think the only militiadwarf we have right now is my dwarf, but if it's my turn when we go again I'll check.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Well then.... Dwarf me as Nerev the Red Crossbow&Swordsdwarf.
EDIT: This will eventually turn to having the two factions perform a Dwarvern version of TF2
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:55:52 pm by OREOSOME »
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the fortress is running but the migrants aren't here yet. I'm thinking a Blue overseer should keep going with it until the migrants arrive, and then save and pass it on to a Red overseer. Then the Red overseer gets a year and a half. This will even out by the fact that the main fortress only has 14 dwarves, which are easy enough to maintain.

bkdevil, would you be interested in putting a few extra touches on your go until new dwarves arrive?

Alternatively, I could just run it with very basic input until there are more dwarves.

EDIT: Isn't a second migrant wave supposed to always arrive in the spring? It's early-summer in my save and no migrants, just elves...

Added everyone to the turn/dwarf list. I will probably organize it better in the future, possibly with googledocs.  mavj96, I added you to Red list :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:42:17 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the fortress is running but the migrants aren't here yet. I'm thinking a Blue overseer should keep going with it until the migrants arrive, and then save and pass it on to a Red overseer. Then the Red overseer gets a year and a half. This will even out by the fact that the main fortress only has 9 dwarves, which are easy enough to maintain.
bkdevil, would you be interested in putting a few extra touches on your go until new dwarves arrive?
That sounds fair to me.
Also, could I have a turn in the Blue Overseer list?
The Derail Thread

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the fortress is running but the migrants aren't here yet. I'm thinking a Blue overseer should keep going with it until the migrants arrive, and then save and pass it on to a Red overseer. Then the Red overseer gets a year and a half. This will even out by the fact that the main fortress only has 9 dwarves, which are easy enough to maintain.
That sounds fair to me.
Also, could I have a turn in the Blue Overseer list?

Added you in!

EDIT: I'm a little concerned. The game is still running, and I'm into Early Autumn. Humans have arrived, but no migrants. What could be causing this? Usually I'm swamped by migrants before I'm ready for it... especially seeing how 3rd and 4th waves tend to be larger.

Is it because the civilization is somewhat small and the area is remote?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:01:48 am by CognitiveDissonance »

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

EDIT: I'm a little concerned. The game is still running, and I'm into Early Autumn. Humans have arrived, but no migrants. What could be causing this? Usually I'm swamped by migrants before I'm ready for it... especially seeing how 3rd and 4th waves tend to be larger.

Huh. That's strange. I downloaded the save to see what you mean, and got a migrant wave after about only about 10 minutes (in Spring). Quit game using DFHack, tried again and the same thing happened. Maybe you should try re-downloading it?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:14:31 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe multiple people could try at the save to get migrants, and whoever get the most migrants would be the save we use to continue on.
The Derail Thread

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry about vanishing mysteriously after showing so much interest in the original thread. I suddenly got kicked out of the house and have been busy with moving into my own place.

Also just properly read the first part of this. Sorry to hear about the housing situation, that blows. I remember having to find a place ASAP once after a critically failed relationship... could have been worse. Best of luck there, CG!

Huh. That's strange. I downloaded the save to see what you mean, and got a migrant wave after about only about 10 minutes (in Spring). Quit game using DFHack, tried again and the same thing happened. Maybe you should try re-downloading it?

...you can use dfhack for a convenient quit? Didn't know that.
Yeah, maybe I'm just that unlucky. I played until middle autumn and saw no migrants whatsoever. I'll give it another try, otherwise we'll go with...

Maybe multiple people could try at the save to get migrants, and whoever get the most migrants would be the save we use to continue on.

We just need 5-15 migrants for the Red fort to start :)

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm up for this if you don't have any luck getting migrants. I'd have to wait until winter again before I could fix my mess at the aquifer so really I would just be babysitting the food production if I played for another couple of months. Let me know.

When I strike the earth it stays struck.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...you know how most strange occurences are explained with "you shouldn't have screwed with your files"? Yeah, I forgot that I set my population limit to 7 to accomodate the set up. I bet that's why I had no migrants.

tested, and that seems to be the case. But I ran into a new issue. It seems that the new migrants are absolutely determined to get inside the walls. There is no meeting zone inside; there is only one outside. There is NOTHING for them inside. But if the doors are locked, they will not move away from edge. Worse, if I lock them later they just freeze in their tracks.

I don't know. Sleep time, I'll tinker with it tomorrow.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I figured out what was going on. A Civilian alert was set, inviting everyone into Blue's general burrow. This caused the immigrants to beeline for that burrow, refusing to do anything else ever.

Which means regretfully, we cannot use civilian alerts in this game. I will add this to the mechanics list, and will have a save up shortly!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which means regretfully, we cannot use civilian alerts in this game.
That might cause quite a lot of deaths down the line. Awesome.
The Derail Thread

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

Actually, I think we CAN use alerts in the case of emergencies, but both the Red team's burrow and the Blue team's burrow must be selected. Picture this:
1. It is the Red team's turn. The Blue dwarves have all been locked into their fortress, whilst the red team's doors are open. A previous Blue overseer had already created a burrow over the entire Blue fort.
2. A goblin siege suddenly arrives. The Red overseer turns on an alert on both the burrow over the Red fort (or peharps a panic room) and the burrow over the entire Blue fort.
3. Since the burrow over the Blue fortress covers eveything, the blue dwarves will continue doing whatever they were doing before the alert. At the same time, the Red dwarves will move behind the safety of the walls.
This way, the overseer is able to protect his dwarves without interacting with the other faction's dwarves. (we are supposed to let the other faction get slaughtered without intefering, right?)
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11