Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Paddledmirrors - Battling Forts - Turn 7: Fortress Blues [Need More Overseers]  (Read 18828 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Sucession] Paddledmirrors: A Tale of Two Fortresses and Old Grudges
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 03:03:50 am »

Could I be dorfed as a (preferably)military dwarf? I don't care which side...
Well, Dolwin wants a Red sider, so make me his Blue counterpart.

I may sign up for a turn later.

I managed to completely miss your request for a military dwarf. I made you a very useful dwarf instead, sorry. Blame it on the late hour... hope you're okay with that, and you can always pick up the craft later.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I managed to completely miss your request for a military dwarf. I made you a very useful dwarf instead, sorry. Blame it on the late hour... hope you're okay with that, and you can always pick up the craft later.
You made me a siege engineer, that's basically a civilian military labor. I'm very happy with it.

So I am now "The Plotting Cat"

Which in dwarven is mearly "īmkun"

Awesome.

EDIT: Does īmkun actually like cats? Cause I'd love to be a crazy cat dwarf while firing my catapults
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:09:48 am by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: Does īmkun actually like cats? Cause I'd love to be a crazy cat dwarf while firing my catapults

Oh that would be too perfect... No, you rather have a fondness for ducks
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh that would be too perfect... No, you rather have a fondness for ducks
Good Armok, it looks like she'd tantrum easily!

EDIT: Oh, hey, I found the diety list you put up, I was about to ask about that.
I guess the combination of Ok and Atast is pretty fitting for someone who throws boulders through the air all day long.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:44:21 am by mastahcheese »
The Derail Thread

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

So how exactly does this work? If the starting dwarves belong to the Blue team, then how shall the Red team start off? Will it have to wait until migrants arrive?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So how exactly does this work? If the starting dwarves belong to the Blue team, then how shall the Red team start off? Will it have to wait until migrants arrive?

Once the first year ends, I'll take over and maintain the blue team's dwarves until the new staff arrives. Then I will distribute them along, and pass the turn to team Red.

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hah, I guess that puts me up, me being first and all. I'm at work now, I shall start my turn tonight after 5PM PST.

When I strike the earth it stays struck.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile

ptw

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to be a military dwarf on either side, male with good stats preferred.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile

Downloaded the save just to have a look around.
Loved the way the two halves of the map were separated by a river-and the double bridge was a great idea!

Though, I'm curious as to what the purpose of this building is:

Also, I thought you were going to build a centralized trading depot in the middle of the river? Or will that be built by one of the teams during their turn?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, well first thing I should say is that there are a few firsts here for me. This is my first succession game, and my first nothing embark. I'm also ashamed to say I have never pierced an aquifer before, I've never disabled them, but thus far I've done well in avoiding them. I'm not too worried about surviving for the year, but getting the supplies up that we'll last another full year without any input makes me pretty nervous.

Anyways, I'm planning on just gathering/hunting/fishing/brewing everything our side of the river and stockpiling tons of everything. Hahah, these dwarves are gonna eat each other otherwise. I'll leave the majority of the construction to the next down the line.

I got busy last night so I'm just starting now. A quick first post before I really start in on it.

*1*Group Photo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Granite, 298

We've arrived. Armok's balls we've arrived!

The seven us, finally here at the site of Paddledmirrors. I guess since we'll be "sharing" this place with them bloody thinbeards across the river we've technically arrived at "Paddledmirror". No sign of em over there though.

Place is nice, lots of trees, fresh water... fresh air... fresh... sweet Armok I want to get underground! So much green it makes my ears feel pointy... And I've taken an instant dislike to the  Otter People. Those smug little otter faces... looking, laughing.... I hate them.

Anyways, I've been sent on a mission. King Arrowworld himself... well, his VERY closest aide... or someone CLOSE to his very closest aide... gave me this mission. One year. I have one year to dig out a toe hold that will grow to become the fortress that makes those thieving milkers across the river lose their taste for booze with envy.

I immediately drafted the lone dwarf with any military experience, Mustahcheese, into the Mechanisms of Communion. Who cares that she had only been a seige engineer? That's warfare right? Bah! Learn on the job, I always say. I have it on good authority that she is a quick healer anyways. I send her to chase the Otter People away from our side of the river. I declare that the filthy Otter People shall live on the hated north side of the river. She chased an Otter Woman down and made an example of her. HaHa! Who's laughing now Otter People?

After some quick team hate staring across the river, the rest of us are off to check on the supplies.

*2*She kind of fights like a cat...

*3*Humble beginnings.

There's NOTHING here! ONE PICK?? ONE AXE?? King Arrowworld's dwarf promised us all the supplies we would need!!! We brought nothing along with us! By the blood of my ancestors...

Well... we're dwarves aren't we? The place is safe and there is a place where we can rest and get our beards out of the sun. The walls are straight and blue. What more do we need?

Forage! Hunt! Fish! Amok's beard, GET A STILL UP! And get those Otter People away from our tube roots!

The elves are gonna cry when they see what we do to this forest...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woo! I'm awesome!

Nothing like a bare-knuckle brawl with the otter-folk, I love how they get one punch in through my flurry of scratches, and I knock them down and beat their brains in.

I think I would like to have a turn when it's blue's go again, I've only lost maybe a dozen dwarves through trying to breach aquifers, and most of thoses losses was on just a single attempt, so it averages out.

Also, how my proffesion title is "The Plotting Cat", you might want to remove the "The" from the front, so it won't look wierd in combat reports.
The Derail Thread

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

22nd Obsidian, 298
Well, I've done my job as best I could and now my contract as overseer has expired. The year was uneventful for the most part, with most of our time focused on creating a food and booze stockpile.

Twice I had the crew attempt to get past the bloody aquifer, and twice they came away wet and no closer to the sweet, sweet rock underneath. I'm sure one of my successors can use the cold winter weather to freeze the water and fix our mistakes at some point, but I've simply run out of time.

Farewell friends. Farewell ghost friends. Farewell dreaded enemies who I was never unlucky enough to set eyes on!

*5,6*End screens

The following are some excerpts from my journal over the year:

6th granite

Looks like the initial construction team had some troubles of their own. Despite not losing any dwarves there is a restless spirit moving throughout the work yard. Amok's balls it's a creepy sight. My carpenters are not happy that it seems to have chosen their workshop to hover around. We haven't been able to get through the aquifer so quickly, so we don't even have any proper rocks to engrave a proper remembrance site for the poor bugger.

*1*Ggggggghost

18th Granite

Another ghost! Completely different than the first, this one is dressed as a fisherdwarf and has taken to waking up my sleeping crew. I wonder if there's some way to lure these spirits over to the other side of the river...

*2*Ggggggg...Dead guy!

22nd Felsite

We've produced our first barrel of prickle berry wine! This worksite has been dangerously sober up until now, I'm glad we can finally get moving full speed.

...now to stockpile about 1000 more barrels of the sour swill.

24th Limestone

Migrants! Five more able bodies, and of course, five more beards to feed. We don't particularly need skilled wax workers, so I add most of the newcomers to the hauling / plant gathering / fishing labour pool. One of them is a skilled woodcrafter and she gets put to work creating some baubles to trade with our liaison when he arrives.

1st Sandstone

ARMOK DAMN THESE UNHOLY KEAS! We're being robbed blind, and not by Kobolds or Goblins or something that I could bear, but by blasted, bloody, winged, dirty, keas!

They took off with a masterwork created by our new woodcrafter, Kosoth Alathtangak. She spent the rest of the week in an unconsolable rage, tearing up entire farm plots with her bare hands. There's just no reasoning with artists...
I had Mastahcheese chase one down and kill it with her bare hands, but unlike the Otter People, the other keas don't seem alarmed by what has happened to their family member.

We've replanted the crops. Sweet stone, I hope a kea isn't the cause of our downfall, my family couldn't bear the shame.

*3* KEAS!

19th Timber, 298

Our liason from back home arrived today! We traded the crafts which weren't pilfered by the cursed keas for as much food as we could afford. I asked that they bring us booze and seeds on their next trip.

It wasn't until they left that I realized my incompetence! We could have purchased stones to finally lay these ghosts to rest! I guess I've become so used to those adorable, ephemeral, rotting faces....

1st Obsidian, 298

Our last attempts to get through the aquifer have failed. A full year without stone of any kind. I can hardly believe we all stayed sane, for the most part. My apologies to whoever follows me in this mad adventure, I made a pretty good mess of things down there. GOOD LUCK!

*4* This looks screwed up somehow...

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that didn't go as well as I would have liked! Haha, the ghosts made for some interesting motivation to learn to get through the aquifer, but apparently I don't do that well under pressure...

The dwarves are locked inside... and I am just now realizing that they don't have a well! Uh oh.

Here's the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7521

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like its my turn.  I think CD said he was going to divvy up the dwarves into teams before I do anything, so I'll wait until I get the green light.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11