Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Control dwarfs directly in Fortress mode  (Read 1695 times)

Ashenblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Control dwarfs directly in Fortress mode
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:37:08 pm »

Allow people to control citizens in dwarf fortress mode, similar to how you would control creatures in object testing arena but easier.
(I intended this for militiadwarfs but working may be fun)

Certain features of the adventure mode will not be allowed like travelling
What other dwarfs can see will be added to our vision.
Announcements will still come in as if you're in fort mode and you can stop at any time you want.
Join your dwarfs in the battlefield as they repel the goblin siege.

This'll probably help with the militia dwarfs on break while a forgotten beast rampages around.
I know if this is planned, it's gonna take a long time but I think I can share my dreams to others

Optional/bonuses:
Make it possible to work in workshops (though I find ridiculous because of all the hauling and stuff)

BTW: I need others to add stuff to this idea
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:45:44 pm by Ashenblaze »

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Control dwarfs directly in Fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »

I personally like the idea of combining adventure and fortress mode and then being able to claim a fortress member as an adventurer or have an adventurers party be the starting wave of a new fortress.

Just having a separate fpv in fortress mode just seems too limited when there has been talk of allowing adventurers to rule civs and start fortresses and combining the two modes would allow all of that to fall under the same system.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:04:30 pm »

this idea is kinda like the possession spell in Dungeon Keeper. I like it but how would you explain it? Are you suddenly an entity in the game? Does being possessed affect the dwarf in any way? Maybe it's the same for him as being in a fey mood or whatever

So how about possessing them and using them to make some custom carvings/objects? That's probably going too far. How much do you think we should be able to do when inside a dwarf's head?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:58:26 pm »

This is indeed a planned feature.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:53:35 pm »

Deboche has raised a good point though. Just what can we do with that poor little dwarf. Or other entity, because pretending modders won't love this is silly.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:33:38 pm »

I think something like this is best used only for military dwarves.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:43:36 pm »

As far as I know, adventure mode and fortress mode are going to feature seamless integration, allowing you to play as your baron, champion or even cheesemaker.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »

As far as I know, adventure mode and fortress mode are going to feature seamless integration, allowing you to play as your baron, champion or even cheesemaker.

Or king, when he get's there. Though without development from  Toady, I don't expect him to do much. Not that he does anyway.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:06:39 pm »

So, now we can posses our nobles and manually walk them straight into our magma pits? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Redrick720

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:38 pm »

Edit: this is ashenblaze, I was somehow logged into my old account. Sorry if there was a confusion

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Since there's a big adventure mode update, especially the living world,
There's not going to be much of a difference going back to your fort in adventure mode.

I see this as a feature where the player does not possess a dwarf, but actually be the dwarf.
It's as if the player had been the dwarf all along, living in the world, being happy he could contribute to the fortress.

You can see the dwarf's life from his eyes, if someday he gets a mood, you get removed from creature mode and back to fort mode and you cannot control that dwarf until the mood is lifted.

Personnally, I thought of this because I wanted to name a dwarf Ashenblaze and draft him into the military, and whenever there's an enemy, I would take control and join my allies in the battlefield.
But now, I want to live the life of a carpenter or weaponsmith.

The problem is, I don't know how would workshops be directly used.
I need others' help.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:39:51 pm by Redrick720 »
The novice surgeon replaces the kidney with an apple...
Surgeon: We're done!

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »

This idea mostly allows fantastic RP opportunities.
Certain features of the adventure mode will not be allowed like travelling
What other dwarfs can see will be added to our vision.

I don't know if I support this though. In Fortress mode, we appear to be the fortress. In adventure mode, you're only an adventurer. If you merge them, I don't think your vision should benefit from Urist McAcrossthemap.

Ashenblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

This idea mostly allows fantastic RP opportunities.

I don't know if I support this though. In Fortress mode, we appear to be the fortress. In adventure mode, you're only an adventurer. If you merge them, I don't think your vision should benefit from Urist McAcrossthemap.

Yeah, maybe you're right.

Anyway,
I thought of a way to use workshops with an advanced mode
(Pretending you are used to the feature)

Example #1
You went to the wood stockpile and haul a log of a birch tree (not place in bag or something)
(You get slow depending on what you're hauling of course)
You walk up to the carpenters workshop and use it.
A screen appeared showing what furniture can be made.
on the bottom it showed
"Alt +s : Advanced mode no"
Then you pick bed
The game automatically uses the log you hauled
The world continues for a few seconds and pauses, an announcement says you made a +birch bed+.

Example #2
You brought a wheel barrow and got a glumprong log and 2 mahogany logs
You went to the carpentry
It showed the possible things to make, and on the bottom it showed
Alt +s : Advanced mode yes
You picked wooden shield while advance mode was on,

A screen shows all the possible additions you can make with their costs and where they'll be placed
Eg.  Menacing spikes on the rim, 1 log

You picked "menacing spikes on the rim, 1 log" and "an image of a dwarf striking a goblin, 1 log"
Then you pick a material for each addition and the shield

Then the world continues for a few seconds and the game announces
"You made a *glumprong shield*, it menaces with mahogany spikes and depicts an image of a dwarf striking a goblin in mahogany.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:20:09 am by Ashenblaze »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 02:36:46 am »

would you get to pick what the image was? Say if your dwarf was an engraver, could you go up to a wall, choose engrave, advanced mode yes and you just write down "Deboche sitting at his computer" or would it be random or from a list of stuff DF picks?

Ashenblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:48:27 am »

would you get to pick what the image was? Say if your dwarf was an engraver, could you go up to a wall, choose engrave, advanced mode yes and you just write down "Deboche sitting at his computer" or would it be random or from a list of stuff DF picks?

In advance mode
You would pick the symbol on the wall then type anything you want / pick a specific piece of history in that world.
Eg. A dwarf symbol then type "Deboche sitting at his computer"

Advanced mode turned off would result in a random history.

Though Toady still has to decide.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 07:53:56 am »

I think right now we can assume that controlled-dwarfs will be able to do basically everything we can do in adventure mode right now.
Pages: [1] 2