Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for an MMO, and also maybe a giveaway xD  (Read 1127 times)

ZebAbirul

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly neighborhood lurking extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Looking for an MMO, and also maybe a giveaway xD
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:55:23 pm »

I recently have found myself bored with usual MMOs, having just come from a long session of TERA. I find the usual 'Here is your character here are some spells, go fight some guys WoW hurr durr' getting on my nerves and I would like some suggestions on my next stumble into the world of MMOs. I know I could just look some up and watch some videos but through experience (grrrr perfect world) I know those videos can be somewhat misleading. So I have come to you, ohh fellow bay watchers, to ask humbly if you know of any MMOs that could get me out of my online slump and start making me feel excited to play again instead of holding my hand while I kill 50 blue slimes  ;D

What I am looking for:
-Possibly third person, kinda like Diablo
-Cheap or free
-Little to no quest help, or any sort of hand holding for that matter
-Harder difficulty, but not crushingly hard
-Lore heavy? this is optional but I do like me some lore

Any questions would help me elaborate as I am kinda bad at topic writing  :P

Also!! The person who recommends me a game that I play for more than 2 days wins a gift that can be discussed about after the winning takes place :P This can be more than one person!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an MMO, and also maybe a giveaway xD
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »

Dark Eden is a game that fits the bill. It's free, doesn't hold your hand and does have quite a bit of lore (though not super awesome or anything). Quests have no markers or anything most of the time and it has a unique feel to it.

Just google it if you're interested :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:10:26 pm »

Have you tried Vindictus? It's an action hack-n-slash MMO that fulfills quite a few of the things you're looking for:

-It's third-person, though not top-down Diablo style.
-It's mostly free; the only things you really pay for (as far as I am, anyway) are cosmetic changes and pets.
-There is some hand-holding involved in quests, sadly. What degree of help are you trying to avoid?
-Early quests are pretty easy, especially if you're good at hack-n-slash games. However, they start getting pretty difficult quickly and there are optional objectives to provide more self-imposed challenges.
-Some lore. It's mostly background information.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:17 pm »

Path of Exile is basically Diablolike the MMOG. It's third person, plays on instanced maps with town hubs, is grimdark, and has a large passive skill tree that lets you craft whatever character you want. Active skills come from gems that are placed in weapons, armor, and jewelry, so you have to hunt for those, and there's no gold so you purchase stuff from vendors using fragments of portal and identify scrolls. There's a hardcore mode, but if you die there it puts that character in normal mode so you don't lose progress, and there are various difficulty levels. Quests are basically of the 'go there, kill this' variety, so there's not much hand holding to be done in the first place. The lore's a little on the light side, but it's there.

It's typical F2P: free to play through the whole game, but you can pay cash for cosmetics and convenience items. It's also technically in beta, so patches are frequent.

Fake edit: ninja'd

ZebAbirul

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly neighborhood lurking extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:48 pm »

Yes, Path of Exile, yes!! But before I get too excited, I have to try it for myself.

as for Vindictus, That looks good too and I have been meaning to try it out for quite some time. The thing I hate about hand holding is that it ruins the point of the quest lore xD I will defiantly try it out and get back to you.

I am defiantly going to give Dark Exile a shot too, I just have absolutely no opinions on it yet as I have heard nothing about it xD

if I have enough stuff I might through something your way too Leyic, even if you are a ninja xD

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:58:00 pm »

guild wars 2 or planet side 2.

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:04:49 pm »

Perhaps you'd be into Torchlight II, it's $20 so I don't know if it qualifies a cheap but its diablo style with lots of randomization. It was made by some of the people who made diablo 2 and I quite enjoy it. Offline singleplayer as well as multiplayer make this a worth while game. Not an MMO but for some reason it gives me that vibe.

Official Website: http://www.torchlight2game.com
Bay12 Post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108401.msg3237319#msg3237319
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/?snr=1_7_15__13

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:51 pm »

Wizardry Online seems decent. Haven't played it much yet myself but it was fun for a few hours the other day. It's free, although it might be a bit pay to win since it has a big cash shop full of conveniences. Not sure if it gets worse later on, but so far I haven't run into anything that really limits my play without paying though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:07:01 pm »

There's also Topia Online. I haven't checked up on it for a while, but I think it's in beta right now. There's absolutely zero hand holding, as the dev's said they want the players to create the world for themselves, through creating spells, scripts, playing as the monsters, no npcs other than hirelings. That sort of deal. Not sure how much it costs, however.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:36:10 pm »

maybe try star trek online?
thought it was pretty "not grindy" with all of its story missions...
well the random mission can get kind of repetive after a while, but they are not that bad either ... also space looks pretty :D
has pretty good not grindy level progression too and lore and references and story all over.... just didnt like ground combat that much, just the combat... i.e. the planets and areas look pretty great.

well or vindictus, but if you came from tera and dont like grinding its probably not realy that interesting as you have to repeat a dungeon over and over and over and over and over... well thats pretty much all there is to it. still the action combat is more interesting than "WoW hotkey" clicking, its kind of similar to tera.

or dungeons and dragons online... if your more into D&D and dungeon crawling... but it is relatively "old" by now. (i.e. from the gfx)

or apb if your more into a cops & criminal shooter.

i think there is some "neverwinter nights online" in alpha or closed beta too atm, might be something to look forward to over this year.
same with the elderscrolls online thats in development atm.
but these both not out to play yet... all the rest above pretty good playable as free to play game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:38:32 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:23 pm »

Defiance.
http://www.defiance.com/en/game/

MMO-Third Person Shooter. Made by Trion, same developers behind Rift. Launch is just under 2 weeks away.
Game has up-front cost, but no subscription fees.
Mix of PvE and PvP, so difficulty will be what the other players make of it.
Lore should prove interesting. Sci-fi setting, set in a near future post-war setting where earth is populated by humans and alien colonists who are now fighting over remnants of technology. It's got a tie-in with a TV show on SyFy, with live events in-game reflecting what's going on in the show.

Diablo is not third-person MMO, it's eagle-eye ARPG. If that's what you want, then I second the Path of Exile recommendation.

Or, if you're interested in an adult-themed MMO, you might consider Scarlet Blade. It's currently in Closed Beta, with Open Beta starting soonish, and will be free to play. Though I warn you, SB does contain nudity.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »

Tried scarlet blade. It's pretty old-school in terms of combat, point and click, then spam skills.

There's Megaten if you want no hand-holding. The short time they do hold your hand, your gonna need it. Not for the faint of heart and little patience. They feed on your tears.

Wizardy is too grindy. It's not that you need to grind for level-ups. It's the fact that you need to grind for Soul levels, which involves extermination quests.