Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what do you do to keep DF interesting  (Read 1139 times)

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what do you do to keep DF interesting
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »

Hola

been playing around and such and in my most humble oppinoin i feel DF can be either too easy or too hard.  Please let me explain

some of the forts i have played: (1)took everything game told me, flat land, shallow metals, and got bored at around 100+ dwarves(used traps ALOT, as well as retractable bridges)

(2) setteled on a aquifer, took everything game told me.  quit it after 3-4 years as I couldn't seem to understand the pump teq. nor the cork teq.  to get past it.  Goblis ended up gettin past me traps and my dwarfies were slaughtered.

(3)  took only food, drink, pics and axes.  setteled on a flat forest with no aquifer and made all my dwarvies into herbalists.(when i have my pop set at 10 this works, when there is no cap my guys can't keep up)  had to make above ground fields for farming and then this would happen in this scenerio: A.  too much time spent on foraging, and getin fields setup for food/drink sustinance.  goblins eat me.  B.  too much time on foraging and trading merch. and then not buying cloth articles of clothing.  dwarven tantrum spiral when i have no replacement clothes.  C. too much time on foraging, fields, merch, and have minor setback and then badluck when a minor or wood cuter goes berzerk. dwarven fun spiral or mass homacide

(4) setteled in an evil biome and can't make it 3 years.  either the dwarves get caught in rot mist, undead kills all, or my dwarvies tantrum spiral because i'm micro managing too much

I would love to hear stories and ideas on how you all keep it interesting?

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what do you do to keep DF interesting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »

I've noticed my favourite part of DF is watching fights. Just reading the combat reports of my dwarves fighting is entertainment - in my last fort I had a sadistic axedwarf who refused to kill anything unless he'd cut off all its limbs. Five pages of hacking and punching while he cut off all its limbs, then a single shot to the head to finish. He had twelve kills.

I tend to trap and train animals. Then I make them war-trainable. War cavies don't sound that dangerous, but when you have 70 of them, they're actually quite impressive. I'm also responsible for about half of the animals that the dwarven civ in my current world knows anything about.

Or you come up with things that are out of the ordinary. In example, my last fort, all military training had to be done aboveground. I built towers around a central walled-in area and scheduled all training in there. If I wanted a bigger military, I had to build more towers.

The game seems tob e about self-imposed challenges once you get past the basics of the game.

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »

I like to build themed fortresses. I have a zigurat atop a subterranean city, a castle made of obsidian atop the border of a volcano-spire and one forest retreat for dwarves (I forgot to pack up picks and no migrants have brought any, still in the first year, tho). The zigurat, surprisingly, has been the hardest. Lots and lots of stone had gone into it's construction, so much that I opened a quarry (I KNOW!) on the side to collect stones for blocks. Lack of traps and it's openness has brought much horror.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:47:44 pm »

Just try to learn 1 new thing in each fort, that way your next one will progress further than the last.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 02:57:31 pm »

I'm a perfectionist, so even the most basic stuff takes time :D My latest fort breached the first cavern after 9 years of smelting ores and earning 6 millions of dwarfbucks.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:47:56 pm »

Build a huge, successful fort. Kill the pets, tantrum time. Also, war cavies and rabbits are very effective against things with exoskeletons. Just remember to put something powerful in there with them to make killing blows.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »

Big plans that sometimes don't actually come to fruition. Like the tedium of turning all of my dwarfs into sociopaths who wouldn't care if their best friends died. I found out it would have taken too many pets.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »

Megaprojects, and more... including
  • magma hallway
  • fully automated magma hallway
  • fully automated magma hallway for very large creatures who break bridges
  • engraving the circus (yes, the whole thing) a.k.a. 'engrave all the slade'
  • making the most decorated object
  • making the most decorated object with the largest number of different stones, metals, and bones
  • magma hammer (continuous obsidian generation explosion defense)
  • dodge-me extreme into lava defense
  • trap hallway that did not use edge weapons
  • fully powered & automated minecart cyclotron driving upright spikes to fight demons
  • seeing how many hundreds or thousands of goblins I can kill in one fort
  • seeing how many different civs I can to siege me in a year
  • seeing how large a siege can possibly be, including mounted or unmounted.
  • killing x titans in y time
  • killing x forgotten beasts in y time
  • build a magma utilizing fort out of ice
  • embarking on embarks with biomes that feature: no trees, always frozen, badlands, sand desert, swamp, tropical forest, flat, mountainous, surface volcano
  • building the fort where every dwarf has their own personal masterwork door, table, chair, bed, statue, cabinet, chest, well, and waterfall
  • weaponizing an aquifer
  • building a 'flusher' defense (weaponizing pressurized water)
  • draining a river/volcano
  • built a pressurized magma door (magma falls from above) defense
  • built a pressurized magma door (magma from the SIDE) defense
  • gave zombie tissue melting/burning points and then embarked with 12 necro towers on civ screen, used magma defense
  • tried an embark with no caverns
  • generated worlds with 100 z levels of solid candy spire, both in and out of the SMR sea
  • perfected the use of a newtons cradle gear driven logic defense
  • various embarks of: modded dwarves to be able to embark on any land, use outdoor farming, never visit the fort, have multiple evil races attacking
and of course, wrote a bunch of scripts to help with all that testing!  8)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:52:45 pm »

Find an embark with a natural entrance to the caverns, and build your entire fort down there. Don't wall it off or anything; you must build a surface-fort style dwelling inside the cavern, and fight with its creatures to survive.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59:25 pm »

I like to force my dwarves into different social groups. The most powerful dwarves get rooms near the surface, while the workers and laborers are near the caverns.

Which I usualy fill with modded copies of regular cavern fauna, to keep the numbers up. :P
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:07:55 pm »

I take regular breaks.

I've also started keeping track of a handful of dwarven families over the course of the fort's life. Usually they're the descendents of the first dwarves, but sometimes other individuals will earn a place. I find this helps me stay interested in my forts, because when you get 200+ dwarves they can start to blur together.

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:07 pm »

I make different castle styles, the lonely tower atop a mountain, The full castle with ramparts and towers. I don't ever seem to get really far, but I learn new stuff each and every time. Nothing really impressive. On top of this I try to master new industries every time. Recently I actually tried and succeeded at making some soap and creating a good cloth industry. Two things I never cared to try before.

Really the best thing I can suggest is set a goal that you would like to see and do it. Such things you've seen in video games, read in books or the sort.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:45 pm »

I try the various mods that I've never played before (and if available, different races to embark as, such as kobolds or orcs), throwing off everything I knew from vanilla DF to attempt to re-learn it from scratch to fit the mod, and if that fails, attempt something like embarking on an evil biome in surrounded by around 100 towers (made things... entertaining) and trying to survive long term with no traps.
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:28 am »

I think the OPs forts just aren't surviving long enough to get interesting. Ten dorfs just ain't gonna achieve much. I used to have problems with idlers - now find I need 250 plus dwarves for my megaprojects. And, let's face it, if you've never constructed a several-dozen z-level high magma pump-stack, you simply haven't lived.
Each fort you build will be an improvement on its predecessor, when I look at forts I built in 40d I just laugh because they are sooo woeful.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 09:42:31 am »

There's nothing quite so satisfying as completing a megafortress. Try it.
Pages: [1] 2