Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fireproof Clothing - Does total body coverage make you immune to fire damage?  (Read 2169 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The issue, if I recall correctly, is that fingers and toes don't have a [LIMB] tag, meaning that armor doesn't apply to them. Not sure what weird things happen if you give them it, though, or if the fix is that easy. I bet you could just remove toes from dwarves without any noticeable issues, though... fingers may run into problems.

Edit: Looking through body_default, it looks like fingers themselves don't have [GRASP], they just connect to parts with [GRASP]. So yeah, my speculative non-tested and worthless opinion is that fingers and toes can be removed with no consequence. I'm not going to be able to test it, but I'm guessing that, alternatively, giving [LIMB] to each of the five fingers under [BODY:5FINGERS] would allow armor to be applied, as well as with toes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:55:56 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it should be possible to make fireproof clothing using fire imp leather. That shouldn't be magma proof though, it is too weak. You should use something like the hide of a dragon or similar if you wish to wade through magma - or perhaps another beast of similar power. It would be cool if you could encase yourself in dragon skin then feel your outer suit of metal armour melting and dripping off in rivulets, then walk out of the magma unscathed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

I'm not going to be able to test it, but I'm guessing that, alternatively, giving [LIMB] to each of the five fingers under [BODY:5FINGERS] would allow armor to be applied, as well as with toes.
I added [LIMB] to each finger and tried it in the arena by attempting to bite another dwarf in the thumb. Result: deflected by adamantine gauntlet. Then I attempted to bite the same dwarf in the toe, which hadn't had its tags edited. Result: deflected by adamantine high boot.

I wasn't expecting the toe bite to be deflected.

Adding the [LIMB] tag to fingers also turns your dwarves into martial arts spaghetti fiends, as each individual finger can now be used in wrestling.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile

The issue, if I recall correctly, is that fingers and toes don't have a [LIMB] tag, meaning that armor doesn't apply to them. Not sure what weird things happen if you give them it, though, or if the fix is that easy. I bet you could just remove toes from dwarves without any noticeable issues, though... fingers may run into problems.

Edit: Looking through body_default, it looks like fingers themselves don't have [GRASP], they just connect to parts with [GRASP]. So yeah, my speculative non-tested and worthless opinion is that fingers and toes can be removed with no consequence. I'm not going to be able to test it, but I'm guessing that, alternatively, giving [LIMB] to each of the five fingers under [BODY:5FINGERS] would allow armor to be applied, as well as with toes.

Having tested this in the arena, you do not need fingers to grasp objects. Finger removal is also surprisingly lethal.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have seen people bleed to death if their fingers are lopped off.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

Maybe vampire dwarves would make better magmanauts, I'm pretty sure that vampires don't die from dehydration so it would just be a matter of removing their fingers and toes.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I added [LIMB] to each finger and tried it in the arena by attempting to bite another dwarf in the thumb. Result: deflected by adamantine gauntlet. Then I attempted to bite the same dwarf in the toe, which hadn't had its tags edited. Result: deflected by adamantine high boot.

It seems the wiki's UPSTEP definition is wrong on that point, then. Can anyone confirm if the toes/fingers thing is actually an issue?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can anyone confirm if the toes/fingers thing is actually an issue?

Sure. Here's Mr. Goblin 3 decked out in a variety of freezing clothing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's Mr. Goblin 3 after walking into 1/7 lava.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr. Goblin 4 died from the exact same injuries, same fingers and all, after bleeding out.

As I said, certain body parts are always exposed regardless of clothing worn.
Pages: 1 [2]