Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fireproof Clothing - Does total body coverage make you immune to fire damage?  (Read 2175 times)

Worryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fireproof Clothing - Does total body coverage make you immune to fire damage, or would your tiles temperature still cause damage? Also can the body parts themselves catch fire through clothing, if at all?

Fireproof clothing source: web-spinning demon
demon are immune to fire, it carries through with the material

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember people trying to create magmanauts by modding in nethercap cloth or something like that. It didn't work.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't work as I tested this a long time ago. I modified in a cold fabric and put a dwarf in multiple layers of it and nether-cap armor in arena mode before dumping magma on them.

No matter how much clothing you have, there are a few areas that are always exposed; namely, the fingers and toes, which will melt and cause bleeding that will kill the dwarf.

Worryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But your saying that the clothing does work would just have to mod in clothes for those body parts too dfhack's force-equip comes to mind also i dont think there's a way to cover the neck atm w/o it

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Well, you can always (hopefully) turn their skin into nethercap or something...
I dunno, though.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But your saying that the clothing does work would just have to mod in clothes for those body parts too dfhack's force-equip comes to mind also i dont think there's a way to cover the neck atm w/o it

I tried that with chain gloves and chausses that give maximum body protection for those limbs. No dice thanks to a bug regarding coverage; there are some areas that are always exposed. It's possible wrapping cloth around your hands would protect your fingers from exposure, but that isn't possible in arena mode. Still does nothing for the toes though.

It's particularly annoying in Adventure Mode when you have a fully armored Legendary dwarf get kicked in the little toe by a boogeyman and immediately pass out from pain.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

It's particularly annoying in Adventure Mode when you have a fully armored Legendary dwarf get kicked in the little toe by a boogeyman and immediately pass out from pain.

They actually can do that? :O
More reason to remove/nerf/rework them!

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile

It's not a bug, it's a feature. The fact boogeyman are so strong make them formidable for training in AdventMode.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

This has my vote.

Fingers and toes are a little too simulation for the troubles they cause.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not a bug, it's a feature. The fact boogeyman are so strong make them formidable for training in AdventMode.

I think it's not exactly the fact that's because bogeymen are just "strong", but how the game handles pain quality in general which is simplistic and totally unbalanced (not to say pain in the arse). In the current version a giant bitten by a swarm of reluctant marmots receives the exact same pain as the one of a dwarf whose bones are crushed by a warhammer... the game doesn't seem to handle extensively the concept of "creature mass", nor the interaction of one beetween the other.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:25:00 pm by MightyDorf »

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile

If you removed the offending body parts, could you have magmanauts then?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Stop dumping willpower then!

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had the same thought as Loud Whispers. Do your guys even feel pain in Adventure Mode? Put toughness, resistance and willpower high enough and they are practically immune to anything that isn't heavy bleeding and nerve damage/amputation.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

It doesn't work as I tested this a long time ago. I modified in a cold fabric and put a dwarf in multiple layers of it and nether-cap armor in arena mode before dumping magma on them.

No matter how much clothing you have, there are a few areas that are always exposed; namely, the fingers and toes, which will melt and cause bleeding that will kill the dwarf.

Someone should mod it so that gloves and boot cover fingers and toes. I mean how many gauntlets or boots don't irl?

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Someone should mod it so that gloves and boot cover fingers and toes. I mean how many gauntlets or boots don't irl?
I think the question here should be "how many of them can actually stop a a hit from crushing such extremities". If you can break a finger (more than one, actually) playing basketball, I imagine it would be absurdly easy to break someone's toes with the blow of hammer or the edge of a blade.
Pages: [1] 2