Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to start a fire?  (Read 740 times)

Machariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to start a fire?
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:42 am »

Ideally without magma (If at all possible) how can I start a fire?  I'm trying to see how long I can sustain a bonfire in a pit on refuse/the remains of my enemies.  Or perhaps use it to make a wall of fire around my fortress. I know magma would be more efficient, I'm just doing it for fun.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to start a fire?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:03 am »

The Masterwork mod has many wonderful ways to start !!FUN!!.

If you aren't playing that mod, then without magma you'll need a dragon, fire imp, fire snake, or other fire-breathing monstrosity, chained up behind a fortification with kittens for sacrifice.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:55:00 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:30:47 am »

Magma is indeed more efficient. It's also your only option, unless An Adventurer Is You.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:18:40 am »

Magma is the only option unless you cheat, in which case use DFHack immolate.  Hold out, wait for the magma.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:42 am »

that's not true though guys.  tame a dragon, pasture it somewere, preferably behind fortifactions.  then, wait for a hostile to go in front of it, or drop a prisoner in front of the fortifications.  ta-da, fire will spew out, multiple times, and light any trees and grass on fire.  it does die out, though.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.