Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: no iron ore  (Read 5672 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no iron ore
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »

so using df hack and a fresh install of dwarf fortress i have created 3 worlds and embarked on over 25 sites.    i have found layers of : siltstone limestone shale dolomite and chalk as well as several layers of marble slate diorite and granite.  and out of all that i have not found a single vein of any iron ore on any of the sites.....

all three worlds had different mineral scarcity between normal and frequent.  i'm so confused what is wrong here.

also i use standard world gen and not the advanced worldgen
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:44:57 pm by detsuo04 »

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no iron ore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02:14 pm »

When I embark I usually look for sites that have Shallow Metal(s) or Deep Metal(s).
Usually have no problem, Only answer is to dig deeper.
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:02 pm »

did you pay attention to the sidebar? you probably want shallow metals only as sometimes the iron ores can show up between the first and second "features". also if you don't want to do a lot of exploratory mining it's worth using the prospect/reveal tools to locate the ores or embark on steep cliffs as those will usually have visible ore for you to look upon embark.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:05:49 pm »

I did use reveal tool.  also i found sites with shallow metals but there was no iron at all in the sedimentary layer.  actually there was no ore of any kind in any sedimentary layer among the 25+ sites i revealed.  i checked from surface to lowest possible point

lower points had other metals.   also all non sedimentary layers in the shallow metals region had metals just not sedimentary
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:08:28 pm by detsuo04 »

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:16:42 pm »

In my experience, if I embark on a site with "Shallow Metals" (plural), I have at least 1/3 or 1/2 chance of finding iron.

No idea what the problem could be for you, unless you're not embarking on "Shallow Metals" sites every time.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »

Might be better off running a few medium sized worlds with 900 in the advanced parameters section. I find that somewhere between 1000 and 800 provides the most variety between ore types and locations. oh, were you using prospect while choosing a site? It can't give reliable details but if you use prospect all on the site choosing screen it should tell you if there's iron ore before you embark

You could always check out the world building cookbook too. I don't think I have any guaranteed build parameters kicking around right now I'm afraid.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »

i ended up editing the raws so that magnetite ends up in pretty much all layers.  still not in sedimentary but its in the others.  sedimentary layers are ore barren.... odd

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:22:41 pm »

I'm presently on an embark with both Deep Metals and Shallow Metals, and so far I've found ores containing silver, copper, tin, lead, bismuth, native silver, native gold, native platinum, but no iron.  Yet, I have no idea how anyone could embark 25 times on 3 worlds and NOT hit iron, as I find iron 1/3 of the time regardless of site.
Not having iron doesn't wreck an embark, it only brings a few challenges.
If iron goods are appearing on the caravans, then there must be iron somewhere, no?
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:29:30 pm »

I never got iron ore untill I increased mineral frequency during worldgen.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:40:15 pm »

like i said even with adding magnetite to all layers its in all layers accept the sedimentary layer where its actually supposed to be.. something has to be wrong here.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:45:19 pm »

iron ore isn't that big a deal, after every gob siege there will be veins of goblinite just sitting on the grass outside of your fort.

flux is the bigger problem because if you don't have any you'll be lucky to get 5 stones of it per year from trading

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 03:31:39 am »

I find that the vast majority of sites have flux stone, usually marble. The site finder has trouble spotting it (to the point that on very mineral-rich worlds it often won't display flux _anywhere_), but on most of my sites, it's there.

The dwarf caravan usually has access to three or four types of flux, and if you order each at maximum, that's 12 to 16 boulders per year. Definitely more than five, but still close to useless.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:12:23 am »

In my experience, if I embark on a site with "Shallow Metals" (plural), I have at least 1/3 or 1/2 chance of finding iron.

No idea what the problem could be for you, unless you're not embarking on "Shallow Metals" sites every time.
"Shallow metals" doesn't define wether or not the layer contains a sedimentary layer of stone, which is what iron requires. "Shallow metal/s" only states that there are metal/s in the stone layer connected to the soil / surface, which could very much be ignious or metamorphic instead of sedimentary.

A good start is to filter the embark search to find "Shallow metals - multiple" and "Flux stone - yes". The reason for this, is that dolomite and limestone both are sedimentary level flux stones and thus can contain irons. You will, of course, get a handful of false hits, where the upper layers are other stone layers than sedimentary, with a flux stone (marble) in the lower layers, but without DFHack, this is your best bet.

With DF hack, do as I suggested above, but be sure to prospect the area first. If the top layers consist of sedimentary stone, go for it. 
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:43:45 am »

'm so confused what is wrong here.
You place too much faith in steel, and haven't embraced the dwarven way of destroying your enemies with anything that happens to be lying around?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:12 am »

Wait... doesn't iron only ever appear in shallow stone layers?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: [1] 2 3