Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: no iron ore  (Read 5671 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no iron ore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 03:08:02 am »

Wait... doesn't iron only ever appear in shallow stone layers?

No.  Two of the ores (magnetite and limonite) only make appearances in sedimentary layers, but one of the ores (hematite) can also be found in igneous extrusive layers.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 05:30:30 am »

You place too much faith in steel, and haven't embraced the dwarven way of destroying your enemies with anything that happens to be lying around?

Bronze, glass, clay, stone boulders, XXPig Tail SockXX, the mountain itself... Reminds me of a certain Chuck Norris joke.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 05:32:51 am »

It's kind of annoying to find the right embark with iron veins. Thus, slay some goblins and male your own iron. Much more dwarfy and not a game of luck.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 06:15:53 am »

Iron ore can be found in a sedimentary soil layer although usually, it’s the first stone layer under the soil where you’ll want to start exploring.  I don’t DFHack as a rule, but this had me curious so I checked out three old fortresses as well as my current one (I like sedimentary embarks) and only ONE has traditional ore within the top layers, my present fort, one tiny vein of hematite in an otherwise 4x4 of sandy loam.  The next layer down is loaded with magnetite, limonite and bituminous coal so, my dwarves be happy.  The layer is 4z down and chert so technically it’s shallow metals, sedimentary. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:02:18 am »

If you are not phased by "cheating" you can set all the ore types to smelt into iron by putting the right tag in

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »

thanks so much for all the replies.  My main concern is really for the fact that all sedimentary layers are baron.  I didn't notice before because i was looking for iron but even when i set all ores to appear in sedimentary layers via raws editing it still has no metal.  Despite the shallow metals tag on the finder.   

as for killing with anything lying around... In adventure mode i once leveled my underwear to have vorpal.  i used it as a choking weapon.

i am now trying another bundle of dwarf fortress to see if something i may have done might have affected the glitch.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 10:19:51 pm »

My main concern is really for the fact that all sedimentary layers are baron.
Do they make demands for clear glass windows in their offices?

sorry.

Try upping mineral occurrence. I know, it has almost certainly been said already, but I must insist.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:00 am »

If you are still stuck without iron, you can buy iron everything from caravans, even flutes and harps. You can even cheat by making stacks of iron bolts and melt those several times. Buy all the wood from elves too for fuel.

Then you can ask for magnetite or hematite from your caravan liaison, that'll be cheap pre mined iron for you. As long as you have fuel and flux stone, you can  make enough steel for a decent military. That won't be enough to make metal furniture, but you will live.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 08:45:05 pm »

I suspect something in the settings is preventing ore in sedimentary layers for the OP.  I've never had this problem, but only play Vanilla.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 01:04:37 am »

No.  Two of the ores (magnetite and limonite) only make appearances in sedimentary layers, but one of the ores (hematite) can also be found in igneous extrusive layers.
And unless I'm mistaken, igneous EXtrusive layers form close to the surface.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13:33 am »

There are goblins, aren't there? I don't see the problem.

If you don't have immediate access to iron, you can buy some iron stuff from the caravan and melt it down into bars. If you aren't above a little exploiting, you can then use this iron to mass produce leggings and giant axe blades and melt these down again. Greaves and giant axe blades take 1 bar of metal to make but give you 1.5 bars when melted down.
For none weapon-grade metals (or adamantine, which takes different amounts of wafers to produce stuff) you can do the same with coins. Making a coin stack takes one bar, melting them down gives you 1.1 bars. Or you can split these stacks through tantruming dwarves or traders and melt each individual coin for 0.1 bars, giving you 50 bars total per stack.

But still the easiest and least exploity way to get iron is by making trap corridors from glass weapons or making an archer squad with bone bolts and taking the metal from goblins by force.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:56 am »

Warning: anecdotal evidence.

In your search for iron, try allowing sites with aquifers. I think every single one of my last several embarks on a site with aquifers has had iron -- and I've finally seen coal and lignite too.

My most recent fort is near the ocean front in a biome without an aquifer -- but surrounded by similar biomes that do have aquifers. On site, I see there is a limestone layer, which is presumably the difference between this biome and its neighbors. The limestone has coal, lignite, and magnetite.

(disclaimer: I've set minerals to frequent in simple world gen. Though I imagine that mainly just controls how many squares have shallow metals + flux, rather than whether such sites actually have iron)

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48:19 am »

I found out that setting "z-levels above ground" to 1 in advanced world generation VASTLY increases the amount of sedimentary layers, because in my search I found a bug report (can't find it anymore) about how this setting affects sedimentary layers. If you know a bit about advanced world gen, you can create worlds that have a much MUCH higher probablilty for the "perfect embark", IE, Volcano next to flux/river/iron.

I was DF Hack Prospect All for days genning world after world that only ever had extremely small probability of finding coal/iron, most of the time it was gold/tetra/galena for metals, even at 400-1200 mineral scarcity. Then I found that bug report, and changed only the "z-levels above ground" setting on my preset, and BAM embark after embark had iron/flux, and I only ever DFProspect volcano/river/trees embarks. It's not 100%, but the difference is huge and noticable if you have been stuck eyes bleeding in front of the embark screen for hours with the default Z-AG at 15.

I made an account to share this info, hope it helps someone.

EDIT: Here is the bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4654
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:53:07 am by mobucks »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:49 am »

You don't necessarily get iron off other civs if your site or civ doesn't have any. The bright side of that is that the vast majority of the time you will have access to both steel and adamantine, and their best materials will be bronze and silver (but, silver pikes should not be underestimated. Nerve damage is a pain).

(disclaimer: I've set minerals to frequent in simple world gen. Though I imagine that mainly just controls how many squares have shallow metals + flux, rather than whether such sites actually have iron)
Flux isn't affected by mineral scarcity, as it's not a mineral but a layer.* Mineral scarcity controls the frequency of non-gem non-layer materials such as iron ore, cobaltite, and microcline. Lowering the mineral scarcity gives you more chance of iron, and also more chance of cobaltite, microcline, and anything else that isn't a layer stone or a gem type.

*Calcite is the one flux stone that is a mineral, but it only appears in flux layers. So it doesn't matter if your potentially calcite-bearing site has no minerals, as any site that could have calcite will have flux.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 06:12:25 am »

I found out that setting "z-levels above ground" to 1 in advanced world generation VASTLY increases the amount of sedimentary layers (clip)

Now, THAT’s an interesting tip.  Someday when I have nothing better to do I’ll be curious as to how/why you ever set “z levels above ground” in the first place but …

I’m still waiting for someone to post on DFMA or DFFD “here’s your volcano in a temperate, savage biome/young world with brook, iron, some wood, four civs and flux suitable for v0.34.11” but until then, I’ll keep trying and use your bug.  It takes a long time to get magma to a reasonable level and then start the SDP du jour.  [Or maybe I just missed it; if someone knows of such a saved world, that’d be a nice link to post.]
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 [2] 3