Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94483 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile

It is a no. What year is it in your world?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

230. Is it another of those hidden limits?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, just wanted to see how long before that dwarf died of old age. She's got 50 years, you're fine.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just going to wait a couple of years and see what happens, matchmaking in the meantime. I've found another potential couple just now. The most significant problem is how all over the place the dwarves are age-wise, which limits the number of romantic targets for them quite severely.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

What about migrants?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Migrants and dwarven caravans stopped coming ages ago due to some highly obscure and ill-understood bug. Wirejade is on its own.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

what version is this?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

I find it funny that you have gone from colonizing hell into marriage making.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Colonizing hell wasn't challenging enough.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what version is this?

0.34.11 with Broken Arrow, DFHack r5 + Utility Plugins 0.49 and some minor tweaks like enabling certain creatures to procreate in fortress mode. In other words, mostly vanilla with some utilities and fixes.

I find it funny that you have gone from colonizing hell into marriage making.

It would be a poor attempt at colonisation if the fort were to just die out, wouldn't it?

Although the mayor isn't going to participate because his lover died.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

I can fix your migrant problem should you wish so. I have a line of script on my desktop to fix that very specific bug. The problem right now is that your fortress is illegible for migrant waves, but their maximum size is capped at zero, which isn't exactly optimal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:50:28 pm by Taupe »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go ahead. I will build a structure of your choice in your honour if it works! You should probably put it up on the Mantis bugtracker too.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

I'll give you the instructions once my home network is back online (people are doing maintenance in my basement and they unplugged the wifi at the moment).

The way the ''bug'' work is thus: The third migrant wave is usually a large one (ten+) after which they are capped at about eleven. This total goes down by one once the unit count hits about a thousand, then scale down to zero once the unit count hits three to four thousand.

This ''unit count'' adds up living dwarves, pets, others... as well as dead ones, misguidedly. This means that a decade old fortress may stop re eiving migrants because they hat a lot of cats fucking, for example. The workaround is a script that cleans the dead unit list of basically anything thats not named. Migrants then show up. Those units are not removed from the game or forgotten, theynjust dont actively display in he list.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hang on. I believe DFHack has something similar in the form of the fix/dead-units script. I used it in the past and while it helped me at the time, I am facing a different issue.

Basically one caravan glitched out and dropped all its items upon leaving, but they were only accessible through the stocks screen, like those affected by the old bug concerning items moved around by liquids. No dwarven caravans have appeared since, nor any migrants have showed up, and they would appear regularly beforehand. I cleared the dead units' list several times after that, to no avail. As far as I can tell it's an incredibly rare and ill-understood bug.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

Hum, that's a bummer. Personally, I have the reverse problem, where merchants arrive at the depot, but never leave, even when new merchants show up, leading to both weirdness and water buffalo calves outnumbering my population. On the plus side, most of the human caravan guards now have titles, as they are used for thief dispatching.

Keep in mind, in 0.34 the world does not progress in the background as you do. If your fortress is 100 years old, it's possible that the rest of dwarvenkind sort of... stopped breeding new dudes and died of old age. You could try to run the following in dfhack if all merchants are the problem, not just the dwarven ones. It won't fix everything, but it may trigger newcomers in a way:

fixdiplomats

fixmerchants

In any case, hang in there, this is a beautiful tale of perseverance and survival.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:35:41 pm by Taupe »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21