Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94515 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Uninvited Guest [SPOILERS]
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2015, 09:44:05 am »

I've never really figured out how to give commands to individuals in a squad effectively. How do you have multiple training orders for a single squad?

In the {m}ilitary interface on the {s}chedule screen give a new {o}rder for any month, then {tab} to the order list and {e}dit the order to have 2 or 3 soldiers training. Repeat until you have enough of these orders, the {c}opy and {p}aste them over other months. That should do the job.

All hail to the Hell conqueror! Let's see if dwarf civilization survives an influx of demonic treats and clothes made from overwordly materials. As well as, you know, that damnable 'old age' thing.

Wirejade endures! As long as I can get the dwarves to pop out some kids at least. It's going to be kind of problematic otherwise.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2015, 02:49:38 pm »

Goddamnit Hetarios! How come you're known as the king of hell and not me? I beat your wall by 6 months! I farm demons for meat! What do you have that I don't!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2015, 03:57:20 pm »

Goddamnit Hetarios! How come you're known as the king of hell and not me? I beat your wall by 6 months! I farm demons for meat! What do you have that I don't!
It's the journey that makes the life, not the destination ;)
In other words, it's what the Dwarves of Wirejade have lost in their efforts to gain

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 19, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »

It's not just conquest. It is retribution. Just as dwarven blood was spilt to reclaim the lost halls, now demon ichor will stain Hell's slade floor. The underworld will be subjugated not just with mere ‼science‼, but with &science&! I shall construct great shrines to the gods of the Jade Artifact to consecrate its unholy ground as the monument to the dwarven spirit.

I do need to start reading Bastiongate, but that's for later. Looking forward to it. Goodnight for now.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 19, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »

It's not just conquest. It is retribution. Just as dwarven blood was spilt to reclaim the lost halls, now demon ichor will stain Hell's slade floor. The underworld will be subjugated not just with mere ‼science‼, but with &science&! I shall construct great shrines to the gods of the Jade Artifact to consecrate its unholy ground as the monument to the dwarven spirit.
When the new version comes out, I'm planning on building shrines to each god in locations significant to their spheres. Night God in hell, Earth Goddess in the caves, War Goddess near the invader spawn point, Party God in the dining hall, Wealth Goddess in the artifact vault. Each one protected by appropriate defenses, given appropriate sacrifices, and engraved with images of the god.

I do need to start reading Bastiongate, but that's for later. Looking forward to it. Goodnight for now.
I'm glad to hear! It's a bit rambling, especially at the beginning when it's just about me reclaiming the fort. Tell me what it needs more of when you're done.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

100 years! It was never supposed to go on for that long, but here we are, and I'm trying to make it last for another century. About 80 of these years are detailed here, and the dwarves of Wirejade have lost much, and created even more during this time. The original idea was to relate the spectacular and seemingly inevitable collapse of a fortress, describing how everything and everyone dies messy deaths and call it a day. But it proved far more resilient than I had expected, and I couldn't simply leave things as that. There had to be a conclusion, and after years and years of struggle we got where we are now. In many aspects, Wirejade has never been greater. But how long can it go on? Will there come a day when no one is left to walk beneath its golden colonnades? We'll see, and I'll report it here.

The fort was brought to a standstill as much of its workforce was locked in a small dining room, originally built so the metalworkers and other dwarves working far away from the fort's core would have somewhere to eat without running back and forth 100+ z-levels. I'm still not sure if it really helps with that. Anyway, the dwarves made a lot of friendships with each other, and Alath the medic even threw the first party in... a long time, possibly ever. However, no matter how long I'd leave them in only one romantic relationship developed - between the blacksmith Libash Papermatch and Fath Helmscraped, a farmer. I put them in a tiny stockpile with food and drink, and they're ecstatic and definitely talk to each other, but still aren't married after 3 or so months. Oddly enough they're not upset about sleeping on the floor.

This frustrated me to no end, to the point I put the game away for several months. I don't why is it going like this - dwarves may be too closely related, too distant in age (DF requires a narrow window of max 10 years difference) or too incompatible character-wise. I fear I may have to trudge through the dwarf list to cherrypick potential couples, stick them in burrows and hope for the best. If only that one couple marries and has kids, the fort is doomed, even though it would take up to around 150 years for their offspring to die out of old age.

The airlocks are ready and operational. The initial project called for one on each side of the wall, but there are too many glowing pits in the south and the animals released there wouldn't be able to get anywhere. Others have already proven useful: lions were all burned to death by a passing fire demon, cheetahs successfully took down a few tick devils before getting slaughtered and cougars went up against leech demons, which blew themselves up with their own deadly dust. Tiger iron demons killed off the survivors. Thanks to this my framerate is going up, the hallways are less cluttered and I'm learning more about the combat capabilities of the demons. Wonderful! The only drawback is the amount of clean-up required. I can only hope nothing gets punched in the teeth.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The construction didn't go without accidents, of course. It wouldn't be proper. A pale brown demon got in and destroyed some doors, then fortunately left on its own. The lone animal trainer who happened to be in Hell then sneaked away thanks to the animals holding the creature back. The fire one caused a bit more trouble. I took the opportunity to test a few different ways of dealing with it. As it turns out, dwarves are relatively safe if they're not standing on a flammable tile and aren't wearing anything that can catch fire. A close combatant will still die due to fire he breaks off the creature melting his body and causing bleeding. A good old cave-in is the safest bet. There was an ape devil too, and while it was killed Mosus lost his remaining foot, and Iden Armorkeys his left hand.

Time has been hard on the fort's military. Datan Rockheld, Tekkud Paddledfocus the Contested Gallows of Order and Lor Giltsoothes the Turquoise Stake of Creating, all legendary hammerlords, passed away due to old age. Mistem Tattodyes, elite marksdwarf and Momuz Granitelessons the Teal Bride of Hawks, a swordsmaster met the same fate. Momuz got her own ornate tomb in recognition of her deeds. Tholtig Bannershorts, only 30 years old and already a legendary mason, fell and broke her spine with deadly effect, further limiting my options in the marriage game. Replacing the dead warriors should become less of a problem if I can lure in a steam demon - just have them beat on an armed dwarf for a long enough time and watch the skills go up to legendary levels in no time, at no risk.

The trash railway is up and running. It had stubbornly refused to work right for ages, until I put temporary stops on every level below the ones I had known for sure to be fine and found the broken one. Apparently semi-molten rock doesn't count as a proper wall for track ramps to stand next to, surprisingly enough. I'm not sure what to do with the dragon now, so he just sits in a cage and grows bigger.

The anniversary special is the hell fort, which is what I wanted to complete in time for the occasion. I have another idea, but I'll see if I get to it. It's not an in-game thing though. I don't know, this update simply feels kind of underwhelming, at least to me and I thought I might try to compensate for this.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still amazing

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They took their sweet time - ten months, to be exact - but hopefully we've got a family in the making here. Congratulations to the newly-weds! I've got to find out if there are any more dwarves willing to follow.

Strange finding: the beds in the oldest rooms, so ones that have been set up for about a century now, are all showing signs of deterioration, as if they had been damaged. It's most definitely regular wear and tear. Who would've expected this to happen? Because I didn't. How few people would even end up noticing this anyway? It might only apply to wooden furniture, I can't be sure as few things in the fort have been in the same place for equally long.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All organic objects wear out, not just clothing, but it takes forever.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

All organic objects wear out, not just clothing, but it takes forever.
I never knew that!

So a built wooden door would fall apart after ages?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After about 200 years, I think. Plant fiber only takes about 50 years to fall apart, though.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Now to have a fort to survive that long...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have since noticed wear in a wooden wheelbarrows, bone ammo and barrels, so that corroborates what Flame's posted. And which to my dismay means all my forgotten beast totems are doomed to rot away.

On the bright side, I hooked up my current mayor with some bone carver. They're both 152, so I'm not expecting much even if they do eventually marry. What is bothering me though is the fact that it's been over a year since Libash and Fath got married, yet still haven't produced any offspring. The dead/missing units list might be too long, I'm not sure if it's relevant here or only causes issues with immigration. I hear gui/gm-editor can be used to check for pregnancy, but I have no idea what to look for. Here's a screenshot of the output in case someone can decipher it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:19:48 pm by Hetairos »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's under 'relations'.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a thing.

I guess that's a "no"?