Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94512 times)

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: An Uninvited Guest [SPOILERS]
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2013, 10:47:01 am »

Stasno sounds like a good candidate for the Forgotten Beast Art Contest.

(Yes, I do go around reading random threads and telling people to send the FBs mentioned in them off to be drawn. The thread's here, by the way.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2013, 12:17:36 pm »

I hope you've gotten your answer on guided minecarts by now.  If not, guided minecarts use a dorf to drive them, and are not (normally) subject to collisions, either to other minecarts, objects or dorfs and pets.

Ultimately, I constructed a testing track with two minecarts guided in the opposing directions across two z-levels. No collisions were observed. I actually have an over 100 z-levels high spiral track with four routes delivering ore and other raw materials to the forges, all set to "guide". However, sometimes the empty minecarts would start rolling back down for no discernible reason while being guided upwards, injuring or killing anyone below. I even dug out some space to provide a way for the cart to derail into when it acquires too much speed.

1. Amazing thread so far. Masterpieces like this are rare.
2. Posting to watch.
3. Your first fortress?! Holy shit... Hetairos, you are a DF badass already, just saying.

Wow.

Thanks for making me discover an awesome song, an awesome story, and rediscover an awesome game that i though i extracted everything.
You gave me the courage to continue my current fortress despite the routine.
I'm building an army, then i'm launching a full-scale invasion on Hell.

*blushes fiercely*

*hides under the desk*

CognitiveDissonance suggested the same thing about Radavi... I guess I could get to it at last.

Tozör may have died, but the troubles weren't over yet. Almost all melee warriors were heavily wounded, with multiple broken bones. I designated a few more dwarves as medical staff (all labours except healthcare turned off). Since some of the wounded were on the edge of dehydration or starvation, I even ordered a dwarf to do nothing but bring the patients food and water. The medics did an excellent job - only one dwarf was lost to infection, all others were fully healed and are already out of the hospital. It looks like there were no compound fractures or anything equally serious.

It didn't go absolutely flawlessly - one hammerdwarf, Nish Courageworks, the unlucky one tossed around by the FB in the previous update was left alone, starved and thirsty with ten broken bones, not generating a "Recover Wounded" job for anyone. I almost gave up on saving him, but in the DFHack thread I found a script intended to fix exactly that problem (great thanks, drayath!); he's doing his duty like any other warrior now, but with a lot of thread sewn into his body. One soldier was released from the hospital still unable to grasp and tried to clean himself. Subsequently, he spent a few weeks trying to pick up soap.

The metal industry is somewhat stifled by the destruction of several forges and a ton of webs blocking the reconstruction. Four looms are set to collecting webs on repeat, and FB silk is being produced. The magma pool was fully flooded, and the miners are busy digging the obsidian out. Even the llamas are beginning to starve. The attempts at breeding giant hornbills were met with failure.

Two new useful artifacts were created: Cloudodor, a gazelle bone shield and Findblunts, an adamantine throne. I put Findblunts in the late queen's throne room, and moved her old artifact orthoclase throne to the mayor's office. I was wondering whether to give the queen's quarters to the mayor, who is the highest ranking dwarf in the fortress now. Maybe I'd do it if she were doing her job as the chief medical dwarf. While the recently assigned peasants were busy setting bones and dressing wounds, she was drinking, eating, sleeping, or taking a break.

Some new FBs arrived. Osod the Shaft of Shadow, a mud blob with deadly spittle, fortunately decided to pound on an artifact door instead of harassing the dwarves, and was the first victim of my military after the soldiers left the hospital. There's also Rulac, an amber humanoid with a trunk and poisonous vapours, isolated in the second caverns, and a porcelain web spinner in Hell, the second FB to appear there, after Tharumi, a huge, scaly ribbon worm. They haven't got into any fights with the demons yet.

Minecarts! The furniture route successfully delivered the first shipment where I wanted it to, and I'm figuring out the impulse ramps. Finally some useful results! See below.

Experiment Log:

It has been established that:
• impulse ramps require a wall next to them on the side pointing away from the direction of the track; for example, launching a minecart to the north requires NW ramps with a wall on the W side. Otherwise, the ramps function identically to a normal NS track.
• pushing a minecart onto a single impulse ramp launches it about four (4) times farther than pushing it onto normal track.
• weight of a minecart does not appear to have an influence on velocity or range.

Experiment #01:
Procedure: A nickel minecart filled with orthoclase blocks was pushed northwards onto a track consisting of one (1) section of NS track and one (1) section of NW upward track, followed by a fortification tile. In addition, a wall was constructed to the west of the upward track.
Results: The minecart stopped in front of the fortification.
Notes: It looks like we need more power.

Experiment #02:
Procedure: A nickel minecart filled with orthoclase blocks was pushed northwards onto a track consisting of one (1) section of NS track and ten (10) sections of NW upward track, followed by a fortification tile. A giant sloth bear was positioned ten (10) tiles away from the fortification tile as a test subject to check the lethality of the construction.
Results: The minecart was lodged into the fortification, and its contents were mostly spilled on the same tile. The contents of the bins filled with blocks were spilled as well, leaving them empty. Furthermore, a few block were scattered away from the fortification. The subject remained unharmed.
Notes: This looks promising. It needs some more alterations, but at least I know grapeshotting should be possible with such a simple construct.

Experiment #03:
Procedure: A nickel minecart filled with orthoclase blocks was pushed northwards onto a track consisting of one (1) section of NS track, ten (10) sections of NW upward track, and eight (8 ) sections of NS track, followed by a fortification tile. A giant sloth bear was positioned directly behind the fortification.
Results: The minecart ejected its contents across two (2) z-levels, scattering them in a conical shape. The subject remained unharmed.
Notes: That's it! Though I should watch the next test carefully. Why didn't the blocks hit anything except trees?

Schedule:
Phase 1a: Minecart Launching - Completed
Phase 1b: Lethality Testing (1) - Completed
Phase 2a: Grapeshotting - Completed
Phase 2b: Lethality Testing (2) - In Progress
Phase 3: Experimental Design - Pending
Phase 4: Basic Automatisation - Pending
Phase 5: Implementation - Pending
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:57:38 pm by Hetairos »

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »

This was pretty darn impressive.

My first try I didn't know about z levels. (this was after they were invented)

Show that hell why they buryd themselves in the first place, to get away from dorfs.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2013, 11:51:12 pm »

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but reading what you've been doing has inspired me to continue my current fort.

Just because I haven't gotten a siege in six years doesn't mean I won't get a bunch of FBs, and I want to see if I can handle them like you did.

Hetairos is a God, my friends.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

A Random Passerby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2013, 01:56:18 am »

Wow. I must say, this whole thread has been pretty amazing. Now, for grapeshotting with minecarts. Is it possible to launch something sharp, such as axe blades, and have them do slashing damage? I believe I read that somewhere before.
Man, you can't go wrong with a *cow meat roast*

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »

Certainly worked with serrated disks.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2013, 12:16:16 pm »

Wow. I must say, this whole thread has been pretty amazing. Now, for grapeshotting with minecarts. Is it possible to launch something sharp, such as axe blades, and have them do slashing damage? I believe I read that somewhere before.

Certainly worked with serrated disks.

And large serrated discs are exactly what I'm going to try next, especially that they're the symbol of the local government, The Jade Artifact. The only problem is that fully loading a single minecart with them takes 500 discs. Even if I use only a 25% load, that's 125. The furnaces are going to be busy. I'll throw in some glass discs to speed things up. Finally a use for all those sand bags I've been buying!

The smithies are extremely loaded with work, and not only because of the discs. The current orders are:
• 2*80 steel spears, for the artifact-based upright spear traps
• plenty of sarcophagi
• 30 electrum grates for the museum
• the discs, of course
• maybe some furniture
• making bolts out of the bronze and bismuth bronze I acquired from the caravans
• processing the newly dug out adamantine into arms and armour
• and whatever else comes up.

Fortunately, almost every immigration wave brings me at least one dwarf skilled in smithing. A masterwork large serrated steel disc is worth over 45000 ☼, so the wealth of the fortress is increasing quite rapidly, and is currently approaching 34 million.

Watching The Hobbit left me with an intense desire to breed giant eagles. What did the next elven caravan bring? A female one! I already have a male, in fact, I don't even remember when did I get it, it's been here for as long as I remember. I vaguely recall it happened fairly early in the history of the fortress. Three eggs are already in the nest, and I added the [CHILD:1] token to giant eagles and hornbills, since I had heard the giant birds don't have it and need it for their eggs to hatch. Which should happen in autumn, if they will hatch at all.

I put out the fire on two burning artifacts by using DFHack to spawn 7/7 water on the top of them. Why didn't I think about it before? I wanted to wall them off, somebody suggested a cave-in. One was a bone door. I installed it in the entrance to a well near the forges - the same one Tozör flew in through. In case anything tries that again, the well will double as a containment chamber. Another remains on fire, and is already built; spawning water on it and attempting removal don't seem to work. Speaking of artifacts, I got a third bone shield, called Trumpetumbral, whatever that means. And a fabulous purple tanzanite hatch cover, now protecting the forges from threats from above and the rest of the fort from what manages to get into the forges.

About FBs... it turned out that Rulac wasn't as well isolated as I thought. There was a hole near the floodgate letting in the water for obsidian production. It's vapours only caused numbness, blistering and fever, nevertheless it was far tougher than I expected an amber beast to be. After all, I have a corpse of a malachite one stored somewhere, and it was defeated in close combat, maybe even before I started steel production, so how hard can this one be to beat?

It took quite a lot of time, a few soldiers, a small herd of animals and a lot of chopping limbs off.

I have 14 soldiers now. Still not much, but at least they get to choose from a wide range of masterfully crafted steel and adamantine arms and armour. One migrant wave gave me three soldiers out of 6 or 7 dwarves. Two of them - Zas Buckshoots and Eshtan Dyelong - were married. Both lived for risk and excitement, but Eshtan was extremely friendly, gregarious, active, energetic, optimistic, adventurous and doing the first thing that comes to mind, her husband was more composed and organised. Within months from arrival in the fortress, they were both slain by two different Forgotten Beasts. If dwarves write tragedies about love, I guess that's how the basic outline of a plot looks like.

The third soldier is still alive, and bears the awesome name of Ber Hammerbearded. He's talented at armour use, dodging, observing and wrestling, so despite the lack of a weapon skill I expect a nice career in front of him.

There is a fire-breathing pterosaur in the third caverns. Why do I get so many dinosauroid FBs? I'm wondering if I should send in the soldiers, but I'm afraid it will end with someone melting. Though I had a fire-breather killed once with a single blow, before it noticed, let alone burned anything.

I'm building a sacrificial platform of some sort... just some stone floors 2 z-levels above a tile of water still contaminated with Radavi's dust, next to it's skeleton. I'm going to occasionally throw random animals down there. I have way too many of them anyway.

Experiment #04:
Procedure: An empty nickel minecart was pushed northwards onto a track consisting of one (1) section of NS track and a single-tile bridge, followed by a wall tile. On the z-level below,  a track consisting of one (1) section of NS track and ten (10) sections of NW upward track was situated. The bridge tile was above the first upward track ramp. A lever was linked to the bridge.
Results: After the lever was pulled, the minecart was dropped onto the ramp and accelerated successfully.
Notes: So 3-4 tiles above the impulse ramps are all I need for a basic remotely activated cannon. I could already start putting one in place somewhere underground - there is a suitable spot near the forges - but I want to test grapeshotting through one tile wide corridors, to see what would be more effective. Maybe multiple minecarts on one track could be used? It would probably require a wall around the bridge to prevent scattering them, and might not work at all. Only testing will show, though that's not a priority at the moment.

Updated and revised schedule:
Phase 1a: Minecart Launching - Completed
Phase 1b: Lethality Testing (1) - Completed
Phase 2a: Grapeshotting - Completed
Phase 2b: Lethality Testing (2) - In Progress
Phase 3: Basic Automatisation - In Progress
Phase 4: Experimental Design - Pending
Phase 5: Implementation - Pending

Oh, I almost forgot I have a surprise! I got Fortress Overseer to work. It's a bit glitchy, doesn't render stairs and any buildings, including roads and furniture, but works. Just remember that the roads should be covered with electrum (Why is it orange? It's an alloy of gold and silver).

Spoiler: Night in the fortress (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The mines (click to show/hide)

Sigh... why are things bleeding to death again?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:57:58 pm by Hetairos »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:19 pm »

(Yes, I do go around reading random threads and telling people to send the FBs mentioned in them off to be drawn. The thread's here, by the way.)

Don't you worry, I have been keeping this thread as one of the priority options for when somebody fails to present us with a new Forgotten Beast :D I love the stories here
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2013, 01:43:14 pm »

And all this epicness started just because of game generated little more dangerous FB than normally. Hell, I love this game.

kicked through the fortifications

... so you can throw creatures through fortifications? We have to weaponize this.

I told you about the stairs

I see what you did there...

DireWolf64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2013, 09:59:02 am »

I feel like the name of this thread should be changed to whatever the name of this fortress is, because it isn't so much about random FB's anymore, It's more about crazy stories and adventures in this fort, I'm loving it! Oh and: Greetings from Iceland!
There's a fine balance of "child is suffering" and "child is dead".

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2013, 01:13:21 am »

I really want a Stasno picture.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2013, 04:55:19 pm »

And all this epicness started just because of game generated little more dangerous FB than normally. Hell, I love this game.

kicked through the fortifications

... so you can throw creatures through fortifications? We have to weaponize this.

I told you about the stairs

I see what you did there...

It's a funny thing. Beforehand, I thought I don't have anything to do other than ending the fort somehow so it doesn't suffer an FPS death. Now, I'm developing new projects at a higher rate than the fort's dwarfpower can reasonably allow.

I believe that kicking through fortifications was discovered before by Loud Whispers in Silentthunders. Though in that case it was a creature flying over them after being shot with a crossbow bolt. It works the same way, I think.

I feel like the name of this thread should be changed to whatever the name of this fortress is, because it isn't so much about random FB's anymore, It's more about crazy stories and adventures in this fort, I'm loving it! Oh and: Greetings from Iceland!

I was considering a topic name change ever since Radavi was killed, but I've never really had any idea which seemed good enough. And there was always an uninvited guest or two lurking behind a corner. I'm not even sure how would I do it... change the subject of the original post?

Alas, my country isn't dorfy enough to have volcanoes under glaciers and the like. However, it's not lacking in terms of general mess, things that don't make sense appear to have ever been intended to make sense and crazy overseers.

I really want a Stasno picture.

All right, I swear I'll make a backup save, look up the Legends Mode and post the FB descriptions in the art contest thread this weekend.

Okay, where did we end? Oh yes, the pterosaur. Sluste, if anybody cares about the name.

With a creak of gears and a clang of chains, the bridge was opened. The soldiers rushed out into the cold darkness of the cavern and headed towards the place where the beast was last seen. Indeed, the rustle of its mighty wings could soon be heard, and some of the more sharp-sighted dwarves swore they saw a flicker of fire in the distance. Without a second thought, the dwarves turned in its direction.

But the beast was more cunning than they expected; exploiting the cramped space of the caverns, the lack of light, and its own ability to fly over the walls it misled the soldiers following it by appearing here and there until the warriors were scattered and isolated... and vulnerable.

Ast Tradetown, a marksdwarf, was searching the underground forest like his comrades. At least he supposed that was what they were doing - he had lost track of the last of them some time ago. Suddenly he was hit by a wave of hot air, combined with the sound of igniting air somewhere disturbingly close. After taking a turn behind an orthoclase pillar, he was confronted by a horrifying scene.

The beast was there, sitting upon a spore tree, which was bent under its weight. Below lied a charred corpse vaguely identifiable as a dingo. The nearby walls were blackened by fire. But Ast didn't have much time to assess the surroundings, since dodging the fireballs flying in his direction quite obviously had a higher priority. He yelled for his companions, but could anyone hear him?

Ast wasn't going to take his chances. He raised his crossbow and pressed the trigger. The bolt impaled a joint in Sluste's right wing, and while it seemed it only made the beast more angry, it did force it to stop wildly thrashing around in the air, allowing the marksdwarf to aim with greater ease. He was running on instinct alone, deeply etched into his mind after years of practice.

Take a bolt out of the quiver. Slide it into the crossbow. Aim. Pull the trigger. There is no beast, there is only a target you have to destroy. The second missile pierced Sluste's throat, and the monster let out a garbled roar. Blood and smoke escaped its mouth.

Ast paid it no attention. Soon another bolt flew through the air and buried itself deep in the beast's chest. The blood gouting out of its wounds was beginning to form a growing pool beneath it, and its attempts of attack were noticeably becoming weaker and weaker. If both its throat and heart were opened, it was a matter of time until it succumbed to blood loss, but if the heart was intact, it might still have a slight chance of escaping and hiding in some inaccessible corner of the cavern to recover.

Ast tried to take a deep breath, but intense cough stopped it halfway through. Only then did he notice the smoke growing thicker and thicker, its acrid stench increasing in intensity. He looked around. The cavern vegetation around him was burning, leaving him no apparent way of retreat. His legs were growing weaker, and his vision blurry. He realised he had no way of making it out of there alive.

He slid another bolt into his crossbow.

I hope my attempt at inserting a little story into the narrative isn't too painful to read. Yes, I had a marksdwarf kill an FB with three well-aimed bolts. For some reason, he died shortly after the FB did, to blood loss, even though I thought he didn't catch on fire. Maybe it was some other FB's goo in an unfortunate location. I floored over the site of the battle with nearby stone just in case.

Just when I was thinking things were getting quiet and normal (well, as normal as DF can be) - a welcome break from neutralising yet another threat to the fortress - I found this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Over 100 z-levels beneath the surface, in a place never touched by sunlight, grass. Not dallisgrass, not dropseed grass, not dog's tooth grass or whatever else grows here, just a random tile of generic grass. I don't understand how is that possible.

Also, I know that the fireclowns rampaging near the cage traps might have lefts some of the cages molten, but no, the resulting glob of metal doesn't count as a cage any more. Somebody go clean this up.

WEAPONSMITH GOES MOODY

YES YES MAKE ME SOMETHING SEXY OUT OF THIS ADAMA-

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Wait, what?

Now that's more li- third mood?

So when it comes to of weapon artifacts I have two adamantine maces, three bone shields and two adamantine spears. It's getting kind of repetitive. Well, I guess I can't complain about three new legendary weaponsmiths and two extremely powerful polearms. Their names translate respectively to "The Ray of Circumstance" and "Dullaching". I assigned them to the two best speardwarves only dwarves in the fortress who had any kind of experience with using spears.

Both saw combat rather quickly. The Ray of Circumstance was used against an ash humanoid, Zebu, but the killing blow was struck by Ber Hammerbearded with the pommel of the same ☼adamantine short sword☼ with which Sakzul Riddlegirder the Clean Call slew 6 Forgotten Beasts, and which was forged by the duke Kogsak Eyeringed himself. In the fight against Sanene, a red tarantula with a poisonous bite (do all spider FBs have poisonous bite?) it proved that a dwarf wielding it turns into walking, pointy death. Dullaching was apparently used to kill a magma crab, but I have no recollection of such an event.

Sanene also helped test the new safety measures in the first caverns. The road to the staircase leading to the forges is being walled off, with drawbridges providing access to the rest of the cavern. The staircase also has a retractable bridge on the top, allowing me to shut off the access to anything below with a pull of the lever. Or rather, it would, but the safeguards in the minecart route are still under construction.

That sacrificial platform didn't exactly work as designed. Not enough elevation. The donkey thrown in there simply walked out of the water with only a few bruises. I tried to make a new one in the second caverns, using the contaminated lake and a few more z-levels. As a result, I now have two dingos happily sitting in the middle of the FB goo. They're too far away from the shore to consider climbing out of there.

I received enough migrants with military experience (including a talented hammerdwarf, who also happens to be a high master wound dresser and diagnostician) to reestablish the fourth squad. The Inky Entries, formerly containing civilians for the purpose of equipping them with shields and crossbows, were redesignated as a regular military squad. The military has now 22 members. Estrur, another dinosauroid FB, provided me with the perfect opportunity to put it to a test.

Considering the fact that the upper little 2 is its entire lower body, I have to say they did quite well. The only casualty was a dwarf unlucky enough to stand on a drawbridge while it was being closed. He was launched straight into a weapon trap.

I got rid of the demon in the magma chute by putting a huge amount of giant sloth bears, dingos and war dogs into the room used to stockpile furniture to be disposed of, and then deconstructing the wall separating it from the chute. The demon only killed or injured one or two animals before being ripped to shreds by the rest of them. The dwarves were quick to clean up the remains, but the demon's snow melted in their hands and they ended up carrying globs of water.

The minecart with the large serrated discs was finally filled and launched. Since a picture supposedly says more than a thousand words, here's one instead of an experiment log. Eleven victims, mostly due to severed limbs.

The artifact/upright spear trap saved me from a clear glass web-spinning FB. It would've probably slaughtered my military with ease. Even though the spears kept glancing off, they eventually broke it in half. Its total mass was circa 25000. It's a real pity the inorganic FBs can't be processed. I had one made of star ruby...

I was going to put some Stonesense screenshots here, but they don't look right. Electrum is an alloy of equal parts gold and silver, shouldn't it be more light-coloured than gold itself instead of that brownish hue? Is anyone aware of any alternate colour schemes for Stonesense? My own search yielded nothing.

Oh, and here's one thing from long ago. I had a tantruming marksdwarf do something that I'd like to nominate for the most absurd combat event at least in the long history of the fort:

And the single most important thing in this update is me finally figuring out how to properly stockpile worn out clothing thanks to a thread here. It's now all going to a special stockpile set to be a refuse pile with no types of actual refuse allowed. It's vanishing at a positively surprising rate. Selling it all to caravans was quite tedious. I used to give out hundreds of thousands ☼ of used garments. Now I have a chance of getting rid of all the totems and crafts that have accumulated over the course of the past few decades.

I kept putting this update off, since it seemed nothing particularly exciting has been happening. Things have been much more under control lately. It clearly means something terrible is going to happen. It's the only possible explanation.

If anyone has ideas regarding the thread name change, I'm open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:58:40 pm by Hetairos »

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2013, 01:50:21 am »

Watching for awesome.

You did this with your first fort? I've lost count of all my forts, and still haven't managed to muster a real military (mostly because I only just figured out how to run a proper smithing method). After this fort reading, I'm planning to delve deeper with my 8 legendary weapon masters. Goblins got boring when Dumed defeated a vile force of darkness by launching a snatcher into the leader with his hammer.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2013, 04:09:45 am »

Posting to Watch.

This should be in The Hall of Legends.

Also, have you considered moving this to the DF Community Games & Stories board?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »

If you are weaponizing mine-carts I suggest this DF thread from the paradox OT forums.  http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?390202-Dwarf-Fortress-Main-Thread/page223

Blue Emu did some real work on a mine-cart death machine. See the downside to loading things into a minecart is that it takes time, and you thus have to reload, whereas if you use a fluid like water (can't use magma cuz it is too dense) the mine-cart is loaded instantly. By using impulse ramps to accelerate the mine cart to its terminal velocity, and thus also the water inside of it, he was able to create a weapon that obliterates pretty much anything you put in front of it. It has a range of more than 60 tiles or so, IIRC. It also reloads incredibly quickly, and with the 5 or so barrels his version had it was capable of sustaining a virtually constant flow of water out of the barrel.

It is quite complicated, and takes a lot of resources and an infinite supply of water, but if you have enough water on hand I would strongly suggest you use it. 

Also, great thread. I wish my fort was this much fun.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21