Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Lying Has Become Acceptable  (Read 6853 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Lying Has Become Acceptable
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:30 pm »

I just have to say, Vulcans must make terrible actors.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

CandyGale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2013, 02:27:25 pm »

There are multiple kinds of untruths. The word lie refers to untruths uttered for the purpose of deceit. Satire and irony are not for that purpose.
Sometimes I like to tease my friends by claiming that they lied if there has been a clearly unintentional misunderstanding.

It's almost amazing what the big names can get away with today. I think people will eventually start valuing honesty much more, but it will take a lot of time. Lying has been acceptable on several levels for a long time and, to put it in modest terms, it seems rather unlikely that this going to change anytime soon.

So maybe all the candy, cake and everything you like is a lie? Then what?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »

So maybe all the candy, cake and everything you like is a lie? Then what?

First they came for the cake...

Might as well state how I feel about this. To strangers I can lie all day and night, but if I know someone, I can't hold up a lie even as a joke. Hell, sarcasm comes at a bit of an effort even. Usually makes a mess when I actually get to know said strangers and have to explain the various untruths. But then, I'm the kind of idiot that will believe the most ridiculous things you say as long as said idiot trusts you, so there's that~ Was a bitch, and will continue to be a bitch. Such cases.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:18 am »

It's not too bad once you begin to go through life with the expectation that everyone you meet will be a deceptive asshole in one way or another. In fact, it makes it all that more special when you meet an individual of exceptional honesty.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:17 am »

It's not too bad once you begin to go through life with the expectation that everyone you meet will be a deceptive asshole in one way or another. In fact, it makes it all that more special when you meet an individual of exceptional honesty.

It's also a good way to make yourself completely neurotic.  When you start reading passive-aggressive jabs into idle conversations with relatives you meet once a year, you might just be paranoid.

But remember: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 12:09:10 am »

It's also a good way to make yourself completely neurotic.  When you start reading passive-aggressive jabs into idle conversations with relatives you meet once a year, you might just be paranoid.
Seriously. I took that "assume everyone is a shithead until proven otherwise" approach for a few years. It was fucking awful. Terrible advice, never take it.
But it usually does.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 12:16:16 am »

Seriously. I took that "assume everyone is a shithead until proven otherwise" approach for a few years. It was fucking awful. Terrible advice, never take it.
But it usually does.
I've found that there is a way to make that approach somewhat livable: assume that everything you see, hear, touch and feel is a lie. Assume that your brain is constantly on LSD and that nothing it puts out can be trusted. Amazingly, I became less paranoid once I started thinking like that. Something to do with not being able to do anything about it I believe.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 12:43:27 am »

Assume everyone is a shithead, but don't get your panties twisted all over it?  Ain't a problem till there is one. 
Of course, you can always take some measures... assuming the worst of it and be pleasantly surprised if/when proven wrong.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 12:59:46 am »

There's no need to be paranoid at all. Such a mindset actually allows me to be much more understanding and patient with those around me. After all, why get angry and judgmental at someone for being an asshole, when you already know that everyone is going to be an asshole? Nobody's perfect, and it's practically the nature of life itself, it so why let it bother you?

But it usually does.

But, MSH, everyone is a shithead (or whatever other general derogatory word one prefers to use). They can't help it. I doubt there has ever been a single being on this planet that did not, at some point in it's existence, act like a shithead. There are merely intervals where entities choose to be less of a shithead to certain other entities. The key is to recognize, appreciate and encourage the behavior displayed within such intervals, and to simply not give a fuck when people resort back to their shitheaded ways.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:50 am »

I have a solution to this "lying" conundrum. It appears that humans lie a lot. They also sleep a lot. Sleeping is required for survival of a human. Thus lying must be required for survival. Thus I propose that my latest project (which I am calling "The Doomsday Device") should have the perfect testing ground: the human race.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 01:31:32 am »

Lying : provable by fallacies  :D

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 02:02:25 am »

That's more or less how I gauge them, by how much of a continuity error they create, but  end up feeling so dumb not catching them earlier.. is it worth the eureka at that point?

CandyGale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 03:36:56 am »

Lying : provable by fallacies  :D
And fallacies are provable by lying! A flawless cycle!

I assume people to be generally nice and friendly, and it's a lot more pleasant than assuming the opposite.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 03:46:43 am »

People are lovely and have the best intentions but sometimes painful events in their past or their chemical mental instabilities get the better of them. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 04:23:36 am »

It's almost amazing what the big names can get away with today. I think people will eventually start valuing honesty much more, but it will take a lot of time. Lying has been acceptable on several levels for a long time and, to put it in modest terms, it seems rather unlikely that this going to change anytime soon.
Depends where you are. Where I come from no one lies.

No one at all...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5