Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farmer - the dragon slayer  (Read 1226 times)

marek_maras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farmer - the dragon slayer
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:33:41 pm »

I was searching through "legends" mode in my world and I found something really hilarious :D
Look at this picture:

One of these two DRAGONS had about 200 kills ... then he was butchered by, oh good guess, FARMER xD
come on, I love this game but this makes it less serious :D

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farmer - the dragon slayer
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »

that is all well and good.
but how is this a Sugestion?

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:10:41 pm »

I guess you could interpret it as a suggestion so UristMcNobodyPeasant with no training or combat skills isn't able to kill UristMcAwesomeWarrior/Dragon/Titan/whatever out of nowhere during Worldgen. Right now worldgen combat is really weird, because all battles are fought as 1v1 duels no matter how many people are in it and other weird stuff.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »

While that is funny to hear about, I agree that this should not be a possible thing, or at least not without an explanation. Maybe the dragon is allergic to wheat?  :P

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:28:01 pm »

I was reading this book a while ago, and there was an evil overlord who terrorized the lands for thousands of years... then his power was destroyed by, oh good guess, a hobbit.
Ridiculous, right?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:53:40 pm »

I was reading this book a while ago, and there was an evil overlord who terrorized the lands for thousands of years... then his power was destroyed by, oh good guess, a hobbit.
Ridiculous, right?

Very Funny  ;D

But the issue arises where in dwarf fortress, the hobbit challenged the evil overlord to open single combat, and slew him with a boning knife.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:20:44 pm »

What more likely happened was that a crowd of selfless knights fatally wounded the dragon before dying from the dragonfire.

The peasant farmer came by, poked the dragon with a pitchfork to see if it was dead, and then claimed the credit like a true adventurer.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »

In real life, farmers were very often soldiers.

marek_maras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 04:10:59 am »

Yes, Vlad said exactly what i was thinking about :)

I like dunamisdeos post with idea that could be possible and funny but with explenation included, what exactly happened :D

Without explenation it's just.. i dont know, sad? :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:15:46 am by marek_maras »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 05:34:49 am »

In real life, farmers were very often soldiers.

Not to mention that sometimes heros either started off as farmers or decided to become farmers.

Anyhow there is nothing that should stop a farmer from slaying a dragon in that the title itself should not negatively affect the battle (So an adventurer who settled down and became a farmer doesn't suddenly suffer super amnesia) but yeah in general there should be no problem once the game handles world gen duels better.

Just look at the Bronze Collosus and ANYONE who solos that thing.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:48:18 am »

One thing that I like about DF is that Urist McLegendaryInEveryCombatSkill has a small chance to be killed by any creature. Just like in real life. If a peasant gets lucky and kills a dragon then random happenings like that only make histories only more interesting.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 12:03:18 pm »

I always liked the Godendag

It's a wooden mallet with some metal spikes stuck on it. That's it. It was a super weapon because it let a bunch of Flemish farmers who made it at home completely wreck the sh** of super-expensive and rigorously trained French armored mounted knights, who were supposedly the best in the world.

"Godendag" is Dutch for "Good Day" which supposedly the farmers said as they simultaneously crushed the heads and pierced the armor of French jerks.

Copypasta'd from a somethingawful article on ancient superweapons. Edited for kids.

On topic, though, the main thing I'd like to see is detail. Maybe a situation other than single combat.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27:51 pm »

Right now it isn't like a large group of ordinary people go on a quest to take on some bad guy or someone receives some weapon to help them in their battle, it's just some random farmer who kills a powerful enemy with his pocket knife

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:02:05 am »

As long it doesn't happen too often I am ok with that.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 06:14:02 am »

Think Dark Souls - even if something seems extraordinarily hard and impossible, it's still doable.
There are people who beat this game with the starting gear and level, so I guess...

Anyways, that was just probably one hell lucky farmer.
Or one hell unlucky dragon.
Pages: [1] 2