Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing as a long dead race  (Read 1178 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Playing as a long dead race
« on: March 15, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »

If you are in adventure mode, you should have the option of playing as a member of a race, even if they were killed in Worldgen several hundred years ago.

In this case, most people will either consider you a living fossil or (more likely) be like "what... are you????"
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as a long dead race
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »

Doesn't make any sense to me. Also what would be the benefit of this?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:50:12 pm »

I think it's already possible, if you play as outsider

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:17:36 pm »

Yeah I'm saying if you play as an outsider and your civilization has been dead long enough, people should freak out.

Especially people educated enough to know your species were once common.

It's mostly just fluff...

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:36:59 pm »

I suppose that makes sense. If it doesn't distract Toady from his goal, I could see him adding it in. That being said, it would need more going for it to make it onto his priority list.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:11:17 am »

There's even a trope for it!
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 11:38:36 am »

Robosaur, do you have any explanation as to how this would benefit gameplay?

I believe you already metioned a storytelling aspect, but is there anything else?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:21:36 pm »

Hmmm...

Necromancers want to study you, villagers cower in fear at you. Sounds kinda fun to me.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:44:21 pm »

It would probably be fun.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »

It would, but depending on where you spawn would be jarring proof that your character is randomly generated when you click play.

If you play as a dead race, you should spawn in the ruins of a long dead city, rise from the caverns, or start on a beach somewhere with wreckage around you (a shipwreck). Any of those would give possible explanations of you sudden appearance if you think about it.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 06:11:53 pm »

give this person a medal

also me but I don't deserve it as much

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 02:16:16 am »

It would be easy to build your own narrative around it though. That's what you allready do with a normal character anyway. Why am I killing this vampire again?
The main dificulty with this would be all the possibilities that would have to be added in. Peasants cowering in fear and the like. It would be some work to give a whole bunch of different possible reactions for little gain. But let's be honest, the conversation engine in adventure mode isn't up for that complexity in the first place. You can't quiz a peasant about his world, just play trivia games with him. You can't even ask for specific types of quests, you can't even refuse a quest. If this were implemented at this point all it would be is replacing the "hello Dwarf" text with, "hello-what are you?" And then straight into talking about his niece who lives in The Bright Meadows as if he hadn't just seen something strange. Still, even if it were just that it would be a neat little detail.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 01:29:21 pm »

Robosaur, do you have any explanation as to how this would benefit gameplay?

I believe you already metioned a storytelling aspect, but is there anything else?

Well it would allow you access to your favorite races even when they are killed off.

Mind you, I am kinda against this suggestion. Unless there is something in this world that says your race can still live on somehow... I think not having races available in certain worlds, and having ones not commonly available in others, is part of the gameplay that should be explored over having everything available always.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:31:20 pm »

I think it's basically planned that if all the Dwarves were wiped out and only one survivor remained sealed inside a fortress that collapsed in on itself or something, you should be able to play that dwarf. If you can come up with a scenario where a long dead race comes back, you will be able to play as them I am sure. Just as much as in the future you will undoubtedly be able to play as your fortress' hammerer or even a goblin footsoldier or kobold thief.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »

Perhaps the whole randomly generated issue should be dealt with as well? Perhaps you don't choose your name, only gender, skills, attributes, and the peasant/hero/demigod.

Once you click play, you'd gain control of a historical character generated with the world or born later. Your selected skills and attributes could get explained away as training you're character did in anticipation of becoming an adventurer, with choosing between peasant, hero, and demigod the deciding factor of your starting social rank (peasant, former/current soldier, and noble respectively). You could see evidence of your previous life apparent in skills that you may have little use for (farmer, thresher) that would rust over time, family of your own that you can talk to, and previous friends and enemies.

Such a feature would add a level of realism, though it'd be similar to a lottery game. Select Demigod, choose your skills and attributes, then you take control of the local clown lording over a Human settlement.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.
Pages: [1] 2