Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Saints Row 4 Trailer  (Read 2589 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Saints Row 4 Trailer
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:16 pm »

I was about to say that.  They went full Rocky.  Once you beat communism in a boxing match the only thing left is fighting an alien.   What's next?

You don't want to know what comes next.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »

My guess would be a series reboot. New engine, all new characters, reset storyline, probably a change in tone or theme.

The new engine, at least, I'd be happy about, as I get the impression SR has thoroughly recycled all of its assets.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »

Next: Saints Row 5: the MMO! In an alternate dimension of Earth without civilization, the Saints and just about everyone else get dumped into an unpopulated Earth and must rebuild their cities!

Featuring digging and mining for resources like Minecraft! Destructible detailed buildings like Red Faction! Fully customizable looks!

When player cities get big enough, they add servers that 'annex' parts of the map and dedicate them to 24/7 gang violence and city management!  Then, city wars!

Also, giant dinosaurs.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 12:47:40 am »

You might have hit on something there... maybe the only place left for them to go is Saints Row AFTER THE APOCALYPSE.

I am so pumped for this except why are they reusing Steelport? I much prefer Stilwater.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 12:53:16 am »

Well, in one of the endings of SR3,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 01:18:59 am »

... Anyone else remember when they said they wanted to make SR3 have a more serious tone then the second one? Anyways, I loved the second one to death, but for some reason just couldn't love the third one. I want to love this one, just for its sheer epicness, but we shall see if they pull it off.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:07 am »

I'm not particularly excited. I was disappointed that they lost SR2's tone and just went off the deep end in terms of whackiness. When a character died in 2, it had an emotional impact, because as much as the game was still goofy, the
main story was still serious. Then, they killed off Gat and made Shaundi into a streetlight with two melons nailed to it. I'm not saying the characters were ever really that deep, but it got from average to bad.

Plus, I don't think they'll ever top
or

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 08:31:50 am »

While watching the trailer where it first spelt our Saints Row. I was like, heh they missed the O. Them they apologised for missing it, I chuckled.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 08:49:13 am »

I'm not particularly excited. I was disappointed that they lost SR2's tone and just went off the deep end in terms of whackiness. When a character died in 2, it had an emotional impact, because as much as the game was still goofy, the
main story was still serious. Then, they killed off Gat and made Shaundi into a streetlight with two melons nailed to it. I'm not saying the characters were ever really that deep, but it got from average to bad.

or

I see your aisha's funeral and raise you THE DEATH OF SHAUNDI
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 08:52:38 am »

Now I am not 100% on this, but I read about SR4 before in one of my Magazines...
Apparently the concept of SR4 was initially going to be an Expansion to SR3 but they decided that the whole concept was too great to be wasted on an expansion so they made a full game of it. Apparently the idea was that it was going to be done in a whole Matrix style world where the members of Saints Row got Super Powers...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 10:37:29 am »

or

This is pretty much what killed number three. It was just too ridiculous to care about.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 10:56:33 am »

I think it was a visceral reaction to how GTA4's realism was perceived.

I like the SR's games but they're the video game equivalent of junk food to me. The story is a joke, gameplay isn't challenging, it's just high-octane silliness and being overpowered. I put about 20 hours into it due to co-op but honestly I could have stopped much sooner. It didn't hook me into the living in the world like GTA:SA did, because everything is ultimately just there to help you kill time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:55 am »

It is one of those series that you should only be playing once in a while to unwind.

It is like really great movies and Hollywood action flicks.

Sure the great movie is great, but every once in a while it is great to turn off your brain and just enjoy some action.

It is what a lot of critics never seem to understand about "movies that aren't the greatest movies ever" (I can think of a videogame critic who does this too) is that no movie is great in everyway.

Grand Theft Auto no matter how good, will never hit the same areas that this game does.

Don't get me wrong, I find the game tasteless but I like its softer approach to gameplay.

---

I will say once again... REALLY don't play Saints Row too long, it is a game that only gets worse the more you play it. You don't gain greater appreciation IMO.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:02:27 am by Neonivek »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 11:09:59 am »

I liked "Saint's Row 3" because of it's silliness when compared to "GTA IV". What I played of "GTA IV" I found the realism stifling to a point where I couldn't really enjoy driving around fast knocking through everything.

I think Yahtzee said a similar thing in one of his reviews. Something about when he hit someone it was more entertaining for them to go flying over a building rather then lie bleeding in a sad pile on the ground.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:51 am »

I couldn't even play SR2. Keyboard driving on the PC was physically painful. I'd get a headache in about 1 minute. SR3 was a vast improvement there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3