Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 147588 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort reborn!
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2015, 07:37:37 am »

Bumped to note that I didn't need to save in expectation of blowing apart or at least being maimed after my recent BASE-jumping experiments.

Was using an Avatar of Armok from the nigh-indestructible adventurer thread in the modding board. First I ran and jumped off a peak, blew up on impact.

Then I dropped my minecart with as long of a run-up as I could manage (wheel-up... roll-up?) and hurtled over the side... TO SURVIVE, sure I was injured, and I got a mortal wound indicator flashing at me when I finally made it to the bottom, but that was unexpected.

I figured surely more velocity would fix that survival problem though.

*dfhacks up some ballista parts and another minecart*
*updates advfort script first to make sure it works right*
*loads and fires myself off the side of a mountain*
*moves from the black screen... totally unharmed*

...well, hell... fine *aims off to the north after killing the window*

*lands just fine, dfhacks up another ballista and minecart, repeating the process, and landing unharmed from the peak of a mountain.. with two lonely ballistae the only sign I was there until they unload with the map change*

Oh, I savescummed a mummy encounter as I wasn't sure if it would be able to curse the avatar, it was, so I decided to get all industrious on his ass:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MUMMYHAMMER ftw!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2015, 11:36:01 am »

the one thing I kinda want to do is figure out what triggers resurrection in tombs so I could build a makeshift 'rez' spot for fallen companions, or just being able to dump an old dead adventurer's corpse into a tomb to trigger their resurrection.
oh I notice Camps save what ever construction or digging  you do to them so if you find one you could turn that into a mini base of sorts.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2015, 11:44:14 am »

I thought the res-ing was like vampirism or secrets of life and death?
Have you ever seen the people in legends who try to extend their life at any cost and die shortly after.
Maybe they become mummies? Iv never reaserched this area though.
Seems legit. Its even in the raws with the other curses.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2015, 01:19:16 pm »

I thought the res-ing was like vampirism or secrets of life and death?
Have you ever seen the people in legends who try to extend their life at any cost and die shortly after.
Maybe they become mummies? Iv never reaserched this area though.
Seems legit. Its even in the raws with the other curses.
from what I know resurrecting was more likely adventurer's poking their heads in sacred sites and the mummy gets a legend text saying 'they were resurrected.
these are mostly people who are honored and more likely not have the whole wants immortality.
now I'm wondering if it's possible to alter a corpse to be one of any type of historical figure.
which then means one could rig one to be of a god?
"body swapping and YOU!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2015, 01:46:14 pm »

Usually mummies are civ leaders like law-givers, generals, etc. who were entombed and then disturbed by an adventurer.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2015, 08:12:38 pm »

in not adventure fort news, god invoke.lua works so well in stopping enemies in their tracks as companions or by turning them to dust. sadly you need some distance when doing this or you will be attack out of your dialog.
Code: [Select]
df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[0].choice.type=163
df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[1].choice.type=162
df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[0].title[0].value=("Invoke obediance By using The True Name")
df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[0].keywords[0].value=("Bond")
df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[1].title[0].value=("Banish By using The True Name")
--df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[1].keywords[0].value=("MEGAMURDER")
df.global.ui_advmode.conversation.choices[1].keywords[0].value=("Banish")
here's a revised version of said script which just now takes place the first 2 options

silly idea, get a mod that makes an giant impassible barrier. then jump into it. now you're safe from any melee attacks, and no one can dismantle the workshop
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:30:56 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2015, 10:16:42 pm »

You say "giant impassable barrier", all I hear is "20 shields" for some reason.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »

You say "giant impassable barrier", all I hear is "20 shields" for some reason.
I kinda miss that ... and kinda not. I always wondered how that'd look, using 20 shields at once, you can play testudo all on your own!

Anyway, is there a way to stop / slow down minecarts? My 110 level spiral does make the minecart a liiiiiittle bit too fast. I mean, it's a smashing success overall, but I'd prefer not having to jump out before it reaches the end of the track to not experience that ... success on my dwarf's body.

So, like, setting speeds for rollers or track stop settings or such? I have little idea of how it works in Fortress mode. Only going by what I could figure out from the wiki.
Sending the minecart up is no problem, I got one roller on every second level, powered by a 6-piece dwarven reactor (waterwheels). I guess if I were able to increase the roller speed (is that possible?) I'd not have needed that many ... but my main problem is going down as the stop at the end of the track is a little bit too abrupt.
And all just to transport precious metals up to my vulcano-plug house...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »

Pretty sure you can just ride it down a dropshaft with no problem.

As I mentioned above I went from a mountain peak down to totally flat ground in two shots from a ballista with no harm at all.

In fact when I manually rode the cart off the cliff I only got injured when the cart slammed into me but was still able to keep going (though I was an avatar of armok with slade tissues) but I'm pretty sure a vertical drop onto a cart won't give horizontal motion so there is no way to get hit by the cart.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2015, 09:29:47 pm »

Pretty sure you can just ride it down a dropshaft with no problem.

As I mentioned above I went from a mountain peak down to totally flat ground in two shots from a ballista with no harm at all.

In fact when I manually rode the cart off the cliff I only got injured when the cart slammed into me but was still able to keep going (though I was an avatar of armok with slade tissues) but I'm pretty sure a vertical drop onto a cart won't give horizontal motion so there is no way to get hit by the cart.
oh yeah totally you can just straight up balista ride a minecart with no damage done to the player. if you make your kart out of softer stuff you could avoid fall damage aswell.
"body swapping and YOU!"

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 21, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »

Hm...any idea how to set a pressure plate to react on a minecart going over it?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 22, 2015, 03:44:33 am »

Updated things a bit... Mostly was experimenting with gather plants and did not succeed. Also added auto-fill to advfort-items. So now the item selection menu will autofill items.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »

It appears that if you start as an outsider you can't create pretty much anything. Is there any way around that?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2015, 03:00:10 pm »

Yeah, that was a bummer. I was hoping I could make some leather armor and stuff from my kills for rp purposes.

In more positive news, I had an absolute blast taking a dorf and starting from scratch by dismantling some of the steel anvil'D forges I found, hauling them downstairs to the magma smelters, dismantling one to make a forge, and melting up a bunch of steel bars to play with. First thing I made was an axe to replace my crap copper one I started with, first try masterwork! Settled for all exceptional + a few bits of masterwork stuff and went adventuring.

Later found an abandoned fort with broken links so I hit reveal to figure out where the beastie was, in the process I noticed the tell-tale blacked out chunk and dug in to find a tube with about 20 accessible bits of candy so I was able to upgrade my armor after dismantling another forge to make a craftsdwarf shop, spending foooorrrreeeeevvveeeerrrr extracting threads, and then working through the wafer > toys steps.

Very fun playing with all the stuff like this as a change from dfhack-forcing strangemoods in a reclaim fort to pre-twink an adventurer with shiny toys and random bits of history carved on them.

I'm sure the dorfs standing around in the forge areas thought I was a bit nuts... run in, check all the forges, dismantle three of them, toss the anvils in my backpack and run off to the next room, repeat this until I'm moving too slow, then head off downstairs where mysterious clanking and banging and random "ha ha, w00t" exclamations are heard.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:05:18 pm by Max™ »

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2015, 03:49:58 pm »

[...]spending foooorrrreeeeevvveeeerrrr extracting[...]
Make alcohol first, it helps IMMENSELY when playing a dwarf, cutting time to produce things by 5.
Also, having a farm with plants and alcohol brewed from them also easily keeps you alive.

But yeah, my idea was to make a custom race and all. By now I figured out how to make it have sites where it lives, but I'd prefer to have it be rather rare and all without real sites. Also I wanted to play in a "monster island" world - where there are no civilizations, so only outsiders exist...would have been so amazing to be able to make at least some stuff of the killed enemies. (Not that that custom race isn't powerful enough already, being twice the size of a dwarf, having four arms, four legs, a paralyzing stinger and a necrotic bite...will be fun if I decide to keep them in the files when I next start an adventurer.)

Not that I want to brag about it buuuut...

He hasn't fought much (or like ... at all), I was arming him up, wrapping him in metal (armor + clothes) and all ... but then I felt the desire to make a four armed monster to take on the monster island world ... which sadly and disappointingly made me realize that I can't really do much (forge-wise) as an outsider.
So, currently thinking about whether to "restart" using that custom race or go on a rampage using dear Urist (that name was a random one btw, I just always use only the first name).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:00:00 pm by SyrusLD »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31