Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 147570 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort reborn!
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2015, 08:22:14 am »

As for gather plants- it's not very important. You can still have working farm. Buy some plants from cities and plant their seeds. That is the main reason why i don't add some way to cheat-gather plants.
Ah, well. I guess it's mostly me being annoyed about myself not being able to find or even think of a way to make it work due to lack of understanding of the whole thing. :/ Thanks for the explanation. Of course reusing already available functions is a good way, you don't need to redo the whole thing when the original way already works quite fine.

Been looking at beekeeping lately. Since I don't play Fortress mode this one I'm not entirely sure about what it needs: just a (Queen) bee or is there some kind of "colony"-item? Obviously there's no interaction menu giving the option to use the "CollectHiveProducts" yet, buuuut ... I noticed that only after I build the thing. If I got some time, I might try playing around with some "workarounds"...

Also I wasn't able to operate a screw pump manually, haven't had a thorough look into how that is supposed to work or what might be wrong though. From a quick look at it it looks like another one of those "easy looking ones that fail to work" again...then again, since my last screw pumps were supposed to work with power anyway - which works wonderfully both with windmills and waterwheels as well as gearassemblies and axles - it didn't really matter to me.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2015, 08:30:31 am »

As for gather plants- it's not very important. You can still have working farm. Buy some plants from cities and plant their seeds. That is the main reason why i don't add some way to cheat-gather plants.
Ah, well. I guess it's mostly me being annoyed about myself not being able to find or even think of a way to make it work due to lack of understanding of the whole thing. :/ Thanks for the explanation. Of course reusing already available functions is a good way, you don't need to redo the whole thing when the original way already works quite fine.

Been looking at beekeeping lately. Since I don't play Fortress mode this one I'm not entirely sure about what it needs: just a (Queen) bee or is there some kind of "colony"-item? Obviously there's no interaction menu giving the option to use the "CollectHiveProducts" yet, buuuut ... I noticed that only after I build the thing. If I got some time, I might try playing around with some "workarounds"...

Also I wasn't able to operate a screw pump manually, haven't had a thorough look into how that is supposed to work or what might be wrong though. From a quick look at it it looks like another one of those "easy looking ones that fail to work" again...then again, since my last screw pumps were supposed to work with power anyway - which works wonderfully both with windmills and waterwheels as well as gearassemblies and axles - it didn't really matter to me.
Ah beekeeping... It might be not fully done. I remember starting research & implementation but can't remember if i finished it. Usually it works like this: dwarf collects a queen from wild colony (i think this might be missing) and places it into a beehive. If beehive is set to split, then when it has new queen(s ?) he transfers them to other beehives. If it's set to collect products, then it destroys colony and recovers products (into clay jugs?). It's a bit complicated. Including figuring out when it's time for colony splitting.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:05 am »

Ah beekeeping... It might be not fully done. I remember starting research & implementation but can't remember if i finished it. Usually it works like this: dwarf collects a queen from wild colony (i think this might be missing) and places it into a beehive. If beehive is set to split, then when it has new queen(s ?) he transfers them to other beehives. If it's set to collect products, then it destroys colony and recovers products (into clay jugs?). It's a bit complicated. Including figuring out when it's time for colony splitting.
I build some hives and ... oh wonder, it actually somewhat works. Only the "getting the queen bee" is a problem. I just added three in for my three hives via "createitem VERMIN HONEY_BEE:QUEEN" and put them into the hive with the function you already provided.

After some time (days) decorating floor tiles I now checked the hive and - look at that, I got royal jelly and a wax honeycomb in the hive, ready to just be picked up out of the hive without any need for more functions as it seems. Guess I didn't wait long enough previously.
Didn't even need a jug. Of course it is not as "neat" as in Fortress mode, but it works. Only the colony splitting (or rather: getting more Queen Bees) might be interesting. Then again, maybe if I wait even longer new Queens spawn? I doubt it. Hm...maybe it'd even work with a "normal bee".

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:12 am »

.... !!HOBOSCIENCE!!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2015, 09:38:51 am »

I build some hives and ... oh wonder, it actually somewhat works. Only the "getting the queen bee" is a problem. I just added three in for my three hives via "createitem VERMIN HONEY_BEE:QUEEN" and put them into the hive with the function you already provided.

After some time (days) decorating floor tiles I now checked the hive and - look at that, I got royal jelly and a wax honeycomb in the hive, ready to just be picked up out of the hive without any need for more functions as it seems. Guess I didn't wait long enough previously.
Didn't even need a jug. Of course it is not as "neat" as in Fortress mode, but it works. Only the colony splitting (or rather: getting more Queen Bees) might be interesting. Then again, maybe if I wait even longer new Queens spawn? I doubt it. Hm...maybe it'd even work with a "normal bee".
question can you do this with Rats?
or leperchans or anything you find in a HARD SEARCH function?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:09 am »

question can you do this with Rats?
or leperchans or anything you find in a HARD SEARCH function?
It appears that putting a fluffy wambler into a hive (which is possible) does not yield "fluffy wambler royal jelly" or "fluffy wambler wax honeycombs" sadly... :p

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 15, 2015, 12:27:29 pm »

1st of Granite, 251 we have discovered the airstrikes.
this would later prove useful for dropping heavy warfare.
oh yeah I think we can do this with corpses...
OH GOD AIRDROPDEEPSTRIKE ZOMBIES
"body swapping and YOU!"

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 15, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »

Airstrikes...why did I not yet use that to smash enemies?
Only thing I did was dig out the ground below certain big towers and making them collapse... !

By the way - engraving floors and wall:
I always found it a bit sad that I couldn't engrave constructed floors or walls, since it said "Can only do it on hard materials".
So I went and looked up why that message comes even though I was trying to work on a stone (block) floor, and it seems like it only sees it as a "CONSTRUCTION", not what material that construction is made of. So I added "df.tiletype_material.CONSTRUCTION" to the set against which the tile material is checked. (function IsHardMaterial, line #391)
Constructed floors and walls should now be engravable. It has downsides though, as you can engrave all constructed floors or walls, even those made of "non-hard" material, like wood, the floor/wall will not show as (for example) "*Detailed* granite floor" instead still showing as "Granite Block floor", and when masterfully engraving a constructed floor tile it says "Engraved on the wall[...]" ... so, heh, it's not really working I'd say, maybe even the construction of the wall/floor itself is not working correctly. Overall I just wanted to make all floor tiles look the same ... and get rid of all the damn moss that grew while I hadn't build the roof over my new vulcano workplace (bogeyman kept spawning, trying to kill me while I was working...).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2015, 03:40:15 pm »

Only thing I did was dig out the ground below certain big towers and making them collapse... !

I always found it a bit sad that I couldn't engrave constructed floors or walls, since it said "Can only do it on hard materials".
So I went and looked up why that message comes even though I was trying to work on a stone (block) floor, and it seems like it only sees it as a "CONSTRUCTION", not what material that construction is made of. So I added "df.tiletype_material.CONSTRUCTION" to the set against which the tile material is checked. (function IsHardMaterial, line #391)
Constructed floors and walls should now be engravable. It has downsides though, as you can engrave all constructed floors or walls, even those made of "non-hard" material, like wood, the floor/wall will not show as (for example) "*Detailed* granite floor" instead still showing as "Granite Block floor", and when masterfully engraving a constructed floor tile it says "Engraved on the wall[...]" ... so, heh, it's not really working I'd say, maybe even the construction of the wall/floor itself is not working correctly. Overall I just wanted to make all floor tiles look the same ... and get rid of all the damn moss that grew while I hadn't build the roof over my new vulcano workplace (bogeyman kept spawning, trying to kill me while I was working...).
oh I just gut out that hard restriction and had fun engraving on trees, soil, floors, also the needing a pick to do that job also. a good way to avoid bogeymen murders is to one slap nofear on to a race thus completely free from bogeymen attacks unless you provoke them. or just build a house and dig down early so if it's getting late you can just twittle your thumbs indoors for a bit that or since you have dfhack just gui/gm-editor df.global.ui_advmode. something bogeyman= 0 poof no more bogeymen for the night.
"body swapping and YOU!"

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2015, 04:28:40 pm »

oh I just gut out that hard restriction and had fun engraving on trees, soil, floors, also the needing a pick to do that job also. a good way to avoid bogeymen murders is to one slap nofear on to a race thus completely free from bogeymen attacks unless you provoke them. or just build a house and dig down early so if it's getting late you can just twittle your thumbs indoors for a bit that or since you have dfhack just gui/gm-editor df.global.ui_advmode. something bogeyman= 0 poof no more bogeymen for the night.
Pfff...I just put a roof over the seal I put over the vulcano. And then I put magma above that.
So it looks like...
MAGMA / FLOOR
Workshops / LivingArea / FLOOR
MAGMA (Vulcano)
...now.
That should keep me safe unless I open the floodgate that cuts off access to that floor...

For some reason the granite block floor I used doesn't seem to melt even though it is not magma-safe. Quite happy about that.

EDIT: By the way, I found a new honey bee queen flying freely around my hives. So it appears you can theoretically split them after finding the first queen by just waiting for new queens to appear. It seems to take quite a while though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:38:48 pm by SyrusLD »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2015, 08:40:50 pm »

Dear Armok tell me leperchaun is just a typo and you meant leprechaun, I really don't want leperchauns to be a thing.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:04 pm »

Dear Armok tell me leperchaun is just a typo and you meant leprechaun, I really don't want leperchauns to be a thing.
if only vermin can become zombies.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »

...I'm gonna sidestep that line of thought and say damn you for getting me hooked on bodyswap adventuring.

I've been making sets of artifact armor/weaponry, tracking down vampires, getting a flask of blood, and then bequeathing it all to a 2 or 3 year old dorflet girl to go rampage with.

Also, I use the dig/ramp/channel/remove construction/building parts more than anything else by far, is there any way that the visibility or reveal state could be toggled/possible to toggle with advfort or is that absurd?

Don't get me wrong, the uh... once or twice which I've dug through to water or magma was utterly hilarious... but I mostly want it because my main use is either escaping an exitless fort or breaking into one to access a beast lurking in a bedroom somewhere.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »

Also, I use the dig/ramp/channel/remove construction/building parts more than anything else by far, is there any way that the visibility or reveal state could be toggled/possible to toggle with advfort or is that absurd?
If nothing else you can use stonesense with tiles unhidden, which won't revert to unrevealed each step you take.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2015, 08:34:23 pm »

True, but then I gotta load up stonesense at which point it's easier to just type reveal.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31