Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Study Confirms Chemical Activates Gene That Prevents Disease Due To Aging  (Read 3198 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

woah adding something to the water supply?

Seems like a possibly bad idea. You can't really control the dose or anything, which could lead to some problems. Also the fact that no-one likes the idea of things being put into the water. Otherwise, this sounds interesting I suppose?

Flourination all over again huh?

I wonder how many people who would argue against resveratrolation don't know fluoridation happens.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Seems like a possibly bad idea. You can't really control the dose or anything, which could lead to some problems. Also the fact that no-one likes the idea of things being put into the water. Otherwise, this sounds interesting I suppose?
It's all in the name of Science.

Either we make major breakthroughs or kill thousands of people, now that's real science.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

It's all in the name of Science.

Either we make major breakthroughs or kill thousands of people, now that's real science.

On occasion, we manage both.
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

They'd need to go through extensive human trials and probably have it as a prescription drug for a long time before doing something like that anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Flourination all over again huh?
So you're the bastard putting flour in my water! I'm really tired of bathing in pastry dough.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This... reads like an article that is lying to me. Heavily. About not just its conclusions but it's methodology.

It is a Harvard press release. It's generally safe to assume they are wildly exaggerating, at best.

The only conclusion that one can safely draw from this study is that they have a chemical that encourages activation of a specific gene sequence.

From previous studies, we can draw the conclusion of activation of this gene potentially leading to more mitochondrial activity.

That's literally it.

The likelihood of their being a gene for "prevents disease due to aging" is laughably small, and there's certainly no evidence that the gene they are talking about here does that. It is interesting, though, if not accurate.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site

The likelihood of their being a gene for "prevents disease due to aging" is laughably small, and there's certainly no evidence that the gene they are talking about here does that. It is interesting, though, if not accurate.

I'm just taking that "prevents disease due to aging" from the press release.

There are studies for a homologue of SIRT1, Sir2, to have a significant impact on cell lifespan for yeast.
There are also studies for SIRT1-stimulated mice in which have increased lifespans as well and less health complications due to obesity.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I wonder if they injected it into mice, or fed it to mice?  It would be funny if resveratrol didn't survive the digestion process.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, that's good. I was planning to replace my body with augmentations in 2025 to prevent me from aging, but this might be more natural.

Wait, this only prevents disease? Oh well...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

And in the near future, people take a handful of drugs each day to stay alive—one for the aging, one for keeping up the brain, a few anti-whatever pills, a half-pill of telomereasease(:P)...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Reminds me of a Vonnegut short story.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Oy, slow down there.

The study shows it has positive effects, and not all those the headline makes it out as having, in animal models. Animal models are pretty well known to be unreliable at predicting effects in humans. A somewhat useful tool, but hardly definitive. It's why you hear of many potential wonderdrugs, then they just vanish from any mention. What works in mice doesn't necessarily translate to humans due to vast differences in environments and varying biology.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Oy, slow down there.

The study shows it has positive effects, and not all those the headline makes it out as having, in animal models. Animal models are pretty well known to be unreliable at predicting effects in humans. A somewhat useful tool, but hardly definitive. It's why you hear of many potential wonderdrugs, then they just vanish from any mention. What works in mice doesn't necessarily translate to humans due to vast differences in environments and varying biology.
Obviously the answer is to splice mouse DNA into ourselves. I for one welcome our immortal rodent-hybrid overlords.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

And then everyone was Gadget.

Think... think I'd be okay with that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3