Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51735 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #450 on: October 07, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »

Then it'll come full circle, and all the hipsters will be eating pig flesh.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:55 pm »

Goodness there are so few foods that don't even come from an animal however distilled down.

Heck MOST "artificial" foods are... real food just processed in a non-traditional way.

Let me see... Foods that are completely not from a living being EXCEPT maybe from millions of years of process (So if Chalk was edible I'd count it).

Salt
Some forms of sugarless gum
Sulfur apperantly...

That is about all I can think of... and don't say Iron... it needs to be in another form to be digested properly.

I dunno if setting the line along "comes from a living thing" is all that valid.  When I think of "artificial" food I usually think of companies using plant-derived nothing (maltodextrin et al) to turn ten units of unprofitable food into a hundred units of highly profitable food* scented paste.

Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 07, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »

Remember the difference between artificial and synthetic.  In context, of course.  Depending on who's concerned and what the subject is, these words can have different uses or be completely interchangeable.  But in the context of food, it would most commonly be as follows, and I think it's a case where it's important to recognize this.  People such as the "All Natural Organic!!!" crowd will use the term artificial as a smear when it shouldn't really apply.

Artificial is something man-made that only imitates the desired properties of a natural thing.  Artificial flavoring would be a non-food substance that is only designed to imitate a natural flavor.
Synthetic is the creation of something by unnatural means - either to create something identical to a natural product or a new thing completely.  Synthetic honey would be identical to natural honey - just not made by bees.

Soylent is a synthetic food.  Not artificial.

Hm. I ordered a week supply from Soylent towards the end of July or the early start of August. Have yet to get the shipment, probably because I'm a first time buyer and have lower priority than regular customers who may be living on the stuff.

Wonder if I'll be getting v1.1 or just v1.

Just got an e-mail tonight that my Soylent has shipped.  I'll likely have it by the end of the week.  It's currently at the Fedex hub in Middletown, PA.  My e-mail specific that I'll be one of the first to receive Soylent 1.1.  So anyone else who gets their order after me should also get v1.1.

Also, I ordered mine in the 2nd week of May.  So you probably have some time to wait yet.  But it seems like they're slowly catching up.  I know they've made it one of their primary goals to be able to keep up with subscriptions while filling new orders, and they're filling new orders in the order they were received.  So we know they've made it all the way through the pre-order crowd and are working on regular customers now.

-Edit-

Soylent has a competitor, trying to do the same thing with a premium, all-natural approach.  It's called Ambronite.  It's about 4x the price, but is strict about being made completely of fresh, organic ingredients.

Heh... their website's front page even imitates Soylent's unwieldy format, but with opposite style of visuals.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:33:29 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 08, 2014, 02:44:35 am »

"Just like Soylent, but for rich hipsters."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 08, 2014, 02:58:29 am »

I was thinking about being mad about the fact that everyone just decided that 'Soylent is so dangerous because artificial!', but looking with an un biased view point, I have to accept that, as someone who doesn't know anything about nutritional science, I would be afraid of it (Soylent, not Ambronite) if I wasn't adamantly for the progress of science in the way of improving quality of life in any way.
Still weird how quickly it pierced the barrier of how much it wanted, though.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 08, 2014, 04:06:12 am »

Probably less optimal than Ambronite as there is likely one micronutrient or the other that is moderately useful. Although it's not like you can't chug a fistful of berries every once in a while while on a Soylent diet: after all, those nutrients aren't going to be needed in large amount or we would know about them already.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 08, 2014, 04:17:10 am »

I remember when the ETA on international shipping was summer 2014 :/

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #457 on: October 08, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »

It's not Summer here yet, so I can put up with that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »

Soylent has a competitor, trying to do the same thing with a premium, all-natural approach.  It's called Ambronite.  It's about 4x the price, but is strict about being made completely of fresh, organic ingredients.

So additional cost with no additional benefit then?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 09, 2014, 04:37:51 am »

Well, bragging right, and they probably have a couple micronutrients that haven't been discovered too. So marginal utility over Soylent.

I wonder if it's easier to digest too.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 09, 2014, 04:50:23 am »

Not exactly, the stuff in soylent has been refined to get anything that isn't in the ingredient list out.

Also, you're underestimating how hipster-friendly ambronite is. It's not only farm organic, but "Hand-gathered wild berries from the Finnish far north" kind of stuff.

It'd be interesting to have some kind of "BS-less ambronite", using standard versions of their ingredients, and see how much it costs. I wouldn't be surprised if they get it cheaper than Soylent.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 09, 2014, 05:11:22 am »

"We’re definitely on the premium side of the segment," said Suoheimo. "We work with some of the most precious, rare ingredients in the world—like wild berries that are hand-picked."

Yeah, there's definitely going at it the opposite way.

Surely it's unhealthy to have that much iron? Six times the GDA, every day...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 09, 2014, 05:47:47 am »

Ambronite is at 50mg/day according to their website....

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 09, 2014, 08:26:35 pm »

Came home for lunch today to find Soylent waiting on my doorstep.  Took pictures!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's... bizarre.  I've never felt anything like it in my mouth before.  I'm not sure how to describe the flavor other than just "earthy".  Not a bad taste.  The texture is very grainy.  Not exactly unpleasant, but off-putting by just how strange it is.  The consistency is very liquid.  Not thick at all like a milkshake.  It's like water with silt floating in it.

I drank two glasses of the amount pictured, and it was more than enough.  About halfway through the second glass, I encountered a really strong feeling of being satiated.  I've never felt anything like it.  I'm not normally satisfied until I'm full, but I didn't feel full like I was stuffed with food.  I just felt like my body had what it needed, and wasn't interested in consuming anything more.  I've never felt that kind of signal from my body before.  Felt this way for roughly the next 5 hours.  Totally uninterested in eating anything else, even though my office had food catered that day and there were several pies in the break room.  I also didn't feel like I needed my usual afternoon cup of coffee.  It's also sat quite comfortably with me.  No flatulence or discomfort or anything.  And I've even been on antibiotics this week that have been giving me trouble with food.

Also interesting - my kids love the stuff.  Like totally crazy about it.  I wasn't expecting that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »

Also interesting - my kids love the stuff.  Like totally crazy about it.  I wasn't expecting that.

Cute. All these people who find the idea of replacing normal eating routines with a sludgy drink is abhorrent, then there's kids who love it. Makes me smile.

What's the serving sizes like? Is it one pouch for one day? How is that handled?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38