Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51720 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:50 am »

Well, slowly on shake again now with no added fiber (actually no additives, not even salt) and getting half shake a day, plus bacon and rice (and today and tomorrow pizza because celebration I guess).  I think the headache was purely from when I added fiber (or specifically, powdered fiber + nopalina), bad juju.

Anyway, still gassy a little bit but with only half a shake its manageable.  Got some plain yogurt to eat as well to the side and will try to maintain this a few days and see what happens.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:37 pm »

Just posting to watch and and see when they are adding proper human in the recipe. It's no good without the human element on it. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #437 on: July 31, 2014, 08:47:42 pm »

Well, I went off it for a bit cause Soylent wrecked me, recovered, tried it again, and it summarily wrecked me again even doing only half a day.  I have to eat so much extra stuff just to keep it from causing ring-of-fire syndrome, and if I drink too much of it at once I get sweats, headache, and sometimes tingling (maybe carb shock).  I'm more or less calling my experiment over right now and sending my last batch out to someone else to try it (already sent 2 packs out, one person couldn't handle it at all, other seems to be doing ok but they are having to eat a lot of other stuff too). 

Will do final blood test tomorrow and parse and publish my data here next week probably... then finally be free! Free!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:34 pm »

Soylent has been upgraded to v1.1

They're working on the digestion problems some people are having.

I think I should be finally getting mine soon...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 05, 2014, 08:50:01 pm »

I'd love to do this, but I can't until the cost comes down. I spend a lot less on lunch and breakfast than the per-meal cost of this, and the entry point to get it down to a reasonable amount is too damn high.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #440 on: October 05, 2014, 09:06:07 pm »

I haven't really been keeping up on this, but any news on when they're shipping outside the US?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #441 on: October 06, 2014, 01:21:46 am »

Man, I forgot all about this... mostly cause I was having trouble sorting thru data for charting purposes and toying with the idea of trying other recipes (and making a website for findings and whatnot), guess I should knuckle down and finish it now that shit is somewhat stable around here.

Speaking of stable shit... I wonder how well the new recipe works (though honestly id try the DIY low-carb version first if I were to try it again).  I'll also note that I gained some weight after going off my monitoring due to combination of several factors that I need to work on, but since the Soylent experiment part failed thats just more of a natural occurrence of non-monitored intake combined with stress/family/splurge.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 06, 2014, 07:58:38 pm »

Taste change has always been interesting to me because of how robust it is in convincing us to eat whatever we need, even though it isn't a conscious process. Of course, it can also go completely haywire, as most pregnant women and pica sufferers know.

And fat people. Don't forget fat people.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:29 pm »

As a rule of thumb, getting as close to photosynthesis while getting all your nutrients gets you lower footprints.

Of course, there's transportation costs and how much water and energy goes into growing them (AFAIK Kale, for example, is more intensive than wheat or rice)

Personally I can't wait until we get totally artificial food supply, using technology to capture sun energy and convert it into delicious meal-paste (presumably formed into actual food-like product!tm), and then leave the rest of the world over to wilderness and live in cities and such.

I want my damn food-like product, and more importantly, rainforest back! D:<

I'd like to see that day when that becomes possible too, because I'm sick to death of trendy foods that are touted as "natural" and other irrelevant bullshit like that. I want food that's entirely synthetic, and I want to taunt vegans about being posers for still eating any kind food that comes from living organisms, because they're generally the same set that likes "natural" and "organic" foods and I'd like to be able to out do them at their own game by eating the opposite of natural and organic foods. And I want farms and ranches to be totally obsolete; it's an affront to progress that after thousands of years we're still relying on farms and ranches and haven't found anything better; just productiin boosting tweaks to the same damn old thing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:27:36 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 07, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »

Goodness there are so few foods that don't even come from an animal however distilled down.

Heck MOST "artificial" foods are... real food just processed in a non-traditional way.

Let me see... Foods that are completely not from a living being EXCEPT maybe from millions of years of process (So if Chalk was edible I'd count it).

Salt
Some forms of sugarless gum
Sulfur apperantly...

That is about all I can think of... and don't say Iron... it needs to be in another form to be digested properly.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 07, 2014, 08:31:28 pm »

I think most vegans wouldn't be too unhappy with that result, actually, net profit for the world and no more worries about ethical problems from eating meat from unfairly treated creatures.
Vegetarian here, if you didn't notice. Also naive.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 07, 2014, 08:31:41 pm »

Hm. I ordered a week supply from Soylent towards the end of July or the early start of August. Have yet to get the shipment, probably because I'm a first time buyer and have lower priority than regular customers who may be living on the stuff.

Wonder if I'll be getting v1.1 or just v1.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:45 pm »

Wonder if Soylent will turn into the real life equivalent of the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs joke parody of Apple, with new 'cutting edge' versions of food coming out every year or so.
"Welcome, to the cutting edge in technology, the Soylent 5."
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 07, 2014, 08:42:01 pm »

"Welcome, to the cutting edge in technology, the Soylent 5."
"Don't put it in your pocket, it might bend."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #449 on: October 07, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »

And then all the hipsters will start on the stuff, and we'll end up embroiled in some kind of battle - "WE drank Soylent before it was cool!"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38