Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51791 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2014, 03:33:59 pm »

ptw

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 09, 2014, 09:15:37 am »

This is fascinating.  If this had come out when I was in bachelor life, I would have already ordered a month's worth.  As is, posting to watch, certainly.  Really interested in the chronicles of B12ers on this!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #362 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:35 am »

I have been researching it a bit. Looks like new orders of the 'real' soylent are delayed 2-3 months so I have been looking at trying some of the DIY recipes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:05 am »

Yeah, I'll try one of the DIY recipes. Probably starting in a week or so, when I don't need to go to classes anymore and any farting isn't an issue anymore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #364 on: May 09, 2014, 10:12:10 am »

Yeah, I'll try one of the DIY recipes. Probably starting in a week or so, when I don't need to go to classes anymore and any farting isn't an issue anymore.
I'm still deciding but I will probably start with the people chow and alter to taste. Planning to divide it into 4 portions and do 4 'meals' through the day in blender bottles. I'll order enough for 6-7 days and see how it works.

Let me know how your experiment goes as well!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

Yeah, that's the recipe I had in mind too. I might tweak it a bit, because I'm not sure where to find cheap masa harina here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #366 on: May 09, 2014, 10:17:23 am »

Yeah, that's the recipe I had in mind too. I might tweak it a bit, because I'm not sure where to find cheap masa harina here.
I'm planning to drop a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon in and lessen the salt a bit but I'm going to make it to recipe first to try it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »

Okay, as I'm too interested to wait for a reasonable delivery time (and Soylent's new site design is literally unusable for me, for reasons I can't figure out; even disabling ScriptSafe entirely does nothing to help it function), I've tried my hand at DIY, basing my strategy on People Chow. Since this is an experiment, I went for cheapest absolute prices instead of cheapest prices per unit, which means I'm basically drinking down a mixture by volume (I lack a scale) of 12 parts corn masa to 2 parts whey protein to 1 part oil with a bit of salt (probably should use more oil, I was worried about overshooting). Then following up with a fistful of vitamin pills. This actually isn't half bad, although it does need some extra flavoring. Definitely does need some time to sit and absorb the water, and next time I'll mix it in a blender or something to reduce the clumping I got on the bottom of this bottle.

This experiment has more to do with whether the stuff is tolerable, rather than effective - I wouldn't recommend having only this for every meal for a long stretch of time. If it works out, I'll order a proper scale and bulk ingredients so that I can get things ratio'd properly. More information as time passes, I suppose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

... I just briefly considered doing calorimeter experiments to test my extra-crispy bacon.  HALP Soylent, get here quicker!
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2014, 12:00:03 pm »

A can of soup is great as an additive (replacing some water) if you're in the mood for something savory, but costs about as much as the rest of the ingredients put together, so is probably not a sustainable thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #370 on: May 12, 2014, 12:34:23 pm »

Ordered the ingredients for my DIY soylent. I'm doing the people chow while the wife is more interested in the 'chocolate silk'. Will report results when it all arrived.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #371 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:48 pm »

I would try this and get some, but money isn't great, and I'm living with my parents.
The initial outlay is steep in some cases but the daily cost for these is much lower than normal food.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 12, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »

Since I'm going to university I might pick this up, in an attempt to keep my mind sharp.

Otherwise, I'm in the same position as GreatOrder.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 12, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »

I would try this and get some, but money isn't great, and I'm living with my parents.
The initial outlay is steep in some cases but the daily cost for these is much lower than normal food.

$85 a week is almost double my normal grocery bill. Granted that's the most expensive way to order it, but even getting a subscription for the biggest order is still ~$60 a week, which is perhaps 33% more then a normal grocery bill (I normally spend $40 - $50 or so per week, for one person)

It's only cheaper if you buy lots of prepackaged meals and other processed garbage. If you buy staples and cook your own meals, real food is cheaper.

Price is actually my biggest problem with it. I wouldn't mind eating gloop all day every day, but I'm not going to pay extra to eat gloop instead of real food.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 12, 2014, 01:54:54 pm »

You might look into DIY versions, then. They've got the cost down to $3.50 a day (the soup is only half as expensive as everything put together, my memory failed me), which is a good deal better. The effort of assembly, however, reduces the efficiency advantage, since you're going to spend about as long as you would cooking a real meal pre-mixing all of your various powders.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38