Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51781 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2014, 07:34:13 pm »

Agreed.  It's minimalist, but heavy at the same time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2014, 07:39:18 pm »

Fish oil is a required component? Darn.

Any plans for a vegan option?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2014, 07:41:52 pm »

They say that they're working on it, but I'm sure it's not a priority right now.

Though, the oil comes in seperate capsules which you can just not use and add whatever source of Omega oils you want.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »

According to that website, there are 400g of manganese per (dose? Meal?) of soylent.

Um.

Not sure that's quite right, unless they're including lumps of metal in it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:12 pm »

Fish oil is a required component? Darn.

Any plans for a vegan option?

Right now they will ship it without the oil if you take the vegetarian option, in which case you should either eat some almonds or something or add some canola oil. They plan on adding an oil alternative packaged up sooner or later, but for now they are just keeping it separate so you dont have to use or even order it.

I am enjoying soylent so far. Only eating it for breakfast and lunch until some more of the house food i already had is gone, but its not bad at all.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2014, 09:30:33 pm »

Oh wow, all this stuff sounds nice. Anybody tried it so far?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:45 pm »

Look up about an inch or so from your post, KT.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »

Well, got blood tests done, now need to do a general fitness test and whatnot I suppose just for more data... since I'm still waiting on mine :P
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2014, 10:31:39 pm »

Another Soylent article.

This one focuses mostly on Rob, and his own perspective on what he's doing.  Goes more in-depth on this than any of the others I've read.

There is an element of truth to the claims that this has been done before, therefore the success must be due to marketing.  The reason I trust it so much is because Rob's thought process behind the project exactly matches my own.  I can't think of anything I'd have him doing differently.  His involvement in the DIY community is especially awesome.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »

~_~

Hopefully this' ll stick around for more than a year.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »

This thread got started a year ago, so Soylent has already been around for at least a year, and it's still building steam what with all the official shipping dates and stuff.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2014, 08:16:41 am »

I gotta say, so far my faovirte effect has been that soylent leaves me *full and satiated*. That is such a weird thing for me- I am used to being always hungry, all the time, from the moment I wake up to when I go to bed. But now there are long stretches of the day where I am not, and its incredible.

I am still home cooked eating dinners until we clear out some space in the pantry, and the nights still leave me hungry, so I think its definitely the soylent.

On the other hand, and this may not be related, but I have spent a lot of time super-thirsty despite the soylent being pretty watered down. That might be more to do with the nuts I have been eating as my lazy mans oil replacement though. Might want to switch to unsalted.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2014, 08:19:05 am »

This thread got started a year ago, so Soylent has already been around for at least a year, and it's still building steam what with all the official shipping dates and stuff.

I've been around since the thread started, I think!

I meant one year and a half more, when I probably hopefully will go to the US for college. If soylent is all that it claims, I won't have to bother preparing food three times a day seven days a week and only prepare food when I feel like it :D

Also, from my short year in the US it's very easy to gain weight there. Hopefully Soylent will help curb that.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:43 pm »

Also, from my short year in the US it's very easy to gain weight there. Hopefully Soylent will help curb that.

Some who have visited this thread may disagree, but I think it's very difficult to eat a healthy diet in the U.S., without spending tons of time and money on it.  As a result, I mostly haven't bothered, except for avoiding the most obvious and horrible things like soda.  I feel like it's starting to catch up with me badly this past year (as I turn 31 tomorrow).  I'm starting to genuinely feel old and like I'm rapidly gaining weight.  So this stuff feels like it's showing up just in time.  Wish it had been a little sooner.

I gotta say, so far my faovirte effect has been that soylent leaves me *full and satiated*. That is such a weird thing for me- I am used to being always hungry, all the time, from the moment I wake up to when I go to bed. But now there are long stretches of the day where I am not, and its incredible.

I'm heavily anticipating this.  Everyone who has tried this stuff so far has noted surprise at how well and quickly it kills their hunger.  I don't enjoy food the way most people do.  The only thing I really care about is that I don't feel hungry afterwards.  So my habit has generally been to stuff myself at least once a day.  I'm a really big eater.  I know it's horrible for me.  I think with this stuff, I'll be able to kick that habit.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »

I, too, look forward to this. I love food. Like, a lot. And I like cooking. But I don't like needing to do it every day, and fatigue is really getting to me, in general, which cuts into the energy I have to cook with. This'll be a great way to give me something healthy when I don't have the time or energy to cook a real meal, and let me reserve cookery for special occasions, like days off and such.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38