Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51805 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »

Well, let us know how it goes. What's it taste like? Nothing-y?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:21 pm »

What's it taste like? Nothing-y?
I've heard it tastes yeasty on its own. Like chugging bread, supposedly. You can always add flavoring to it. Cinnamon, chocolate syrup, honey, something like that.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2014, 10:06:33 pm »

That... doesn't sound too bad? Bread is delicious. Not that flavoring is a bad thing, per se.

... plus, if it tastes like bread, you can probably throw in peanut butter and jelly or something. Make tasty sandwich nutrient milkshake.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2014, 11:58:45 pm »

Obvious solution: find a way to make bread with the mix.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2014, 12:00:43 am »

By my understanding, that should be fairly trivial. Just substitute an appropriate quantity of soylent for flour. Mind you, it will be awful, awful bread, but it should still be functional. If you want it done properly you're probably looking at a blend of flours to get gluten levels and suchlike right. Look for recipes involving oat flour, since that's what soylent's starches come from IIRC.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2014, 03:41:11 am »

You could most probably add water and then bake it for a simple flatbread. Might make an interesting diversion from drinking it instead.

Still can't believe people go for this stuff when low calorie shakes and liquid meal replacements have been around for years, but more power to his marketing I suppose.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2014, 04:20:30 am »

The idea isn't to diet on it. And liquid meal replacements aren't made to be your only food.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2014, 05:20:50 am »

Ensure
Fortisip
Fresubin
Jevity
TwoCal

And the list goes on. All offer nutritionally complete meal replacements, with varying levels of palatability. Mostly for medical use via nasogastric tube feeding, because who in their right mind wants to choke down liquid sludge every meal?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2014, 08:49:28 am »

And now you've uncovered the problem - all the existing products tell healthy people it's not for them, so why act surprised when people believe them? Especially since a good number of those you listed say they "Should only be used under medical supervision" or can't even be bought. The ones that seem trustworthy don't seem to be easily available, the ones that look halfway decent seem to be expensive, and the rest have entire marketing campaigns that scream "I'm a scam! I'm a scam!" which is kind of off-putting.

Soylent is targeting the audience that has considered purchasing it in this thread (point 1, which absolutely zero of the items you listed above did), soylent is completely open and transparent about what's in it (which helps move it away from the scammy items), soylent is affordable and available (unlike the good looking medical ones).

So basically, yeah, it's nothing new, really. It's the Ipod or Iphone of the liquid meal replacement world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2014, 08:52:12 am »

because who in their right mind wants to choke down liquid sludge every meal?
*points at thread* All of these people?

*points at thousands of kickstarter backers* All of those people?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2014, 11:50:38 am »

because who in their right mind wants to choke down liquid sludge every meal?
*points at thread* All of these people?

*points at thousands of kickstarter backers* All of those people?

Seriously.  To re-iterate and expand on what GlyphGryph was saying:

I hate dealing with food.  It's a pain in the ass.  I don't like deciding on something to eat, especially if it involves exhaustive debate with whoever else I'm eating with.  I don't like retrieving or preparing it.  I don't like cleaning up the mess afterwards.  I don't like worrying about the balance between health vs cost and convenience.  I have food preferences, but even eating food that I like brings near-zero meaningful satisfaction to my life.  Everything about it is a chore to me.

So yeah, I've wanted something like this for a very long time.  And there have been other food replacements out there, but none like this one.  I like how open Rob has been through the course of developing the product, even offering support to DIY immitators.  I like that he's considering the environment, and that widespread acceptance of the stuff could be very beneficial.  I like that he's not including your typical corporate food additives like high fructose corn syrup, which many similar products do.  I like that he's designed it from the very beginning for people like me who just want a cheap, convenient, healthy staple food that can support a normal, active lifestyle. 

All of the other meal replacement options are lacking severely in some area or another when compared to what Rob is doing.  Most of them are designed as some kind of dietary/athletic booster thing, loaded with questionable/unnecessary corporate food junk and marketed like snake oil, or they're for long-term coma patients.  Soylent is really very different from everything else.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »

While all that is great and good reasons to use it, I mostly want to just investigate the health / dieting claims myself (with thorough amounts of data to compare to, which I will release later).  Which means... going full Soylent, more or less, for quite awhile.

I've at least a feeling that it will be healthier than the random assortment of stuff that I've eaten to maintain my current (over)weight, just will need to see if its maintainable and if there's other complications that crop up.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2014, 01:12:59 am »

If it's cheap enough and it works well with no side-effects, I might consider trying it when I go to the US next year :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2014, 07:19:44 pm »

Soylent has a new website.

Rob mentioned before that he wanted to do a subscription-based service, and it looks like they're moving forward with that now.  They have it divided up into 1 week, 2 week, and 4 week supplies, and you can do a single order or set it up for monthly. 

Single order is slightly more expensive.  Looks like the price point for living exclusively off of Soylent is $255/month.  That's a monthly subscription for a month's supply, covering 3 meals a day every day for $2.83/meal.

I think lots of people who tried the stuff have said that they eat significantly less than the full projected meal amount, and few people will consume Soylent exclusively.  So most people will probably get more than the intended mileage out of their orders.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2014, 07:31:30 pm »

The website makes me cry tears of blood ;_;

Still probably going to recommend some folks that were curious to look at it, but would it kill them to have a low-weight website (at least something kicks in if javascript's disabled, damnit) instead of that loading screen maxed-out CPU fiddly fancy bullshit monstrosity?

I can't even really navigate it. Ruddy thing lags, skips around, parts of it don't load, and the whole time it's doing its damnedest to wreck my CPU. Sometimes*modern website design sensibilities go too far.

*more like goddamn always, but that's more than a little (even further) off topic.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38