Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51775 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:00 am »

Besides, if we don't make better wheels, we're stuck with stone ones forever.

Not -every- invention needs to be totally original, or original much at all, to be world-changing. Refinements change the world too.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2013, 04:49:04 pm »

Personally I think this guy just enjoys playing chemist in his kitchen.
There is a reason the results were on a blog. I think the Kickstarter is due to popular demand rather than initial plan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »

Does eating 3 serves of OptiSlim contain the same nutrients as soylent? Nope. What it does contain are nutrients that are clinically proven to contain everything the body needs to survive, plus a lower amount of carbohydrates to reduce weight. My formula mixes in the carbohydrates again and adds fiber to maintain bowel function. It might not be as exact or precise as soylent, but it doesn't need to be. Anything you don't need is eliminated through the urine or synthesized by the body. If you're really paranoid, add a multivitamin to be safe.

There are some, like Choline, that it doesn't contain at all.
And most sources agree that Choline in your diet is essential. Like, clinically. IF it contained everything my body needs to be healthy (not just survive, but be healthy - that's the goal here) I would be more than happy to pick it up. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to.

And yes, I could buy one of these prebuilt sets, and then the 4 or 5 requirements it's missing... and then I'm halfway to what this guy is offering ANYWAY, except released by someone with an interest in catering to my specific needs instead of catering to the needs of someone else.

It's a question of: Would I rather buy one simple thing tailored to my needs, or a bunch of different things from different sources that I then have to refine and modify, for more money?

This guy is going to be offering the first one - all the available options are the last sort, including the proposal you've made. Personally, I'd rather have the first option.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:06:03 pm by GlyphGryph »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »

Also, it's been said that Soylent has a good taste that doesn't (easily) get old; the same cannot be said of the meal replacements.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2013, 05:14:59 am »

OptiSlim Active Ingredients List

Each serve contains 265 mg of phosphatadyl choline. Three serves equals about 150% of your RDI of choline.

You wanna buy this guy's stuff? Go for it. But I'd rather trust a registered pharmaceutical company to manufacture a balanced meal substitute. Frankly I'm not sure wholesaling his formula is even legal; at the very least he'd need to get a business license and pay tax on his sales, and there'd probably be a strong case for the FDA to be involved in any cases where a complaint is made against his formula. From a quick search I found the following requirements:

Registration of Food Facilities under the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 and FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) - Source
Compliance with the Dietary Supplement Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs) - Source
Appropriate packaging and labeling of ingredients under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) - Source

So, still think he's gonna start selling his product once he encounters the red tape?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2013, 06:15:07 am »

He said he was in contact with a FDA-approved plant to have them manufacture it. They'll help him deal with the red tape.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2013, 06:26:43 am »

Also, it should be noted that he does adjust the recipie to add essential items when people suggest them, so refonements will continue for a while.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2013, 07:19:47 am »

OptiSlim Active Ingredients List

Huh. That is a different and more extensive list than the last ingredient list (optifast) for them you linked to. Thanks again. It's nice to know the cheaper one seems to also be more thorough. I expected them to be the same, honestly.

So, I guess I'm gonna be giving Jimmy's alternative a try. Wish me luck, everyone!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:22:18 am by GlyphGryph »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2013, 07:27:32 am »

I'm interested in seeing how it goes.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2013, 07:32:52 am »

abluh bluh fucking bluh Australia only as far as I can tell. Let's see if any of the others will actually let me buy them. >_<

It looks like a some of these sort of things can only be easily purchased with a prescription too. Might be a bit more lead-up time than I expected to getting started. While I schedule a doctors appointment to go over this before I embark, (and head to work), if anyone wants to find one with /all/ the essential bits that actually sells in the US, let me know! Otherwise, I guess I'll be looking into that tonight. Maybe there's a US source for optislim I can find though. We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:39:06 am by GlyphGryph »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2013, 08:51:15 am »

Seriously, walk into a pharmacy and ask one of the staff what diet shakes they have available. Check the ingredients list for whatever you're after and then bulk it up with some matodextrin and fiber. The extra maltodextrin will probably improve the flavor, but like I said, the effect isn't like having a meal. You don't feel satisfied after eating one, just not hungry anymore.

Edit: Just did a quick search on eBay, plenty of listings for Optifast in the USA, though none I could find for OptiSlim. Not surprising since it's an Australian brand generic. - Source

It appears these are different to the Australian ones, apparently the OptiFast 800 range contains choline. - Source

Didn't check the full list of ingredients but again they're intended as a full meal replacement so I doubt there's much missing.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:10:39 am by Jimmy »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:10 am »

That's actually what I was considering doing, having thought about it. Well, going to the supermarket, which has a pharmacy.

And I never feel "satisfied" after eating anything, ever, so that's not really an issue, hah.

Obviously you can see the appeal, or the fact that people might want, an ACTUAL full meal replacement though, right? Not diet shakes or medical supplements. So I still hope the guy releases his Soylent stuff, and if it ends up being almost identical to diet shakes without the diet part, well... that seems fine to me.

But for now, yeah, that's good enough. Better than building from scratch, since I'll only have to source 3 things. Will need to make sure I print out and bring a list with me, though.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:05 am »

3 Month Update

This one features an example of why FDA involvement doesn't really mean much.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2013, 12:07:18 pm »

Ah, I have a feeling that in a few year this (or something like it) will be incredibly popular.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »

Ah, I have a feeling that in a few year this (or something like it) will be incredibly popular.
In compressed pill form!
Oh, I can see the headlines.
Man eats 300 nutrimax pills, explodes!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38