Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51744 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:51 am »

It'll taste like meat, look like meat, and if you want we can stick a speaker in it so it can moo.

I can't tell if I should be insulted or not. :/ D: ??? O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2013, 08:22:19 am »

Actually soy beans are pretty much that... They are just protein, and then some more protein, topped with protein.
I kind of live off them right now on the basis that they cost almost nothing, and aren't too bad if you cook them correctly.

You misspelled delicious.

Assuming you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

That shit is the bomb.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:15 am »

No I mean this thing. The unprocessed bean itself... I havn't actually ever seen something like that, but it looks pretty good.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:08 am »

Yeah, never had the bean. Here you just get the soya chunks, and they are wonderful. dry, they resemble low quality dog food, but soak them in water, add spices, maybe fry a little, and they are awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2013, 08:42:16 am »

Soy beans taste like not much at all, and they are toxic if not cooked right... I've thought about frying them to see if that does anything but the risk of poisoning myself is a bit of a disincentive.

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:35 am »

Didn't Rhett and Link make a video about this?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48:56 am »

Bluh. I can't afford to drop $100+ all at one time. Looks like my soylent will have to wait.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2013, 10:55:14 am »

Bluh. I can't afford to drop $100+ all at one time. Looks like my soylent will have to wait.
Where? Whaa? O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2013, 10:58:40 am »

Where? Whaa? O_o
The "poor man's" recipe from the latest link costs over $100US to make a month's worth, but you have to buy it all at once, apparently. I don't have that kind of money.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2013, 11:55:22 am »

How much money do y'all spend on being fed each month?

I do 160$ and I'm living moderate. (Germany)
100$ for Soylent up front sounds expensive. If it doesn't work and you sit on your useless pile of vitamin pills, 100$ wasted is a lot. But if it does work, and you compare it to your monthly consumption, it's not much. Me for instance I'll have my money worth after 19 days.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »

Think about it this way: If it works, you're shaving 60 dollars off every month.

If it doesn't, you're up a hundred dollars for only one month.

And the only way to find out is to try it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2013, 12:20:02 pm »

100$ for Soylent up front sounds expensive. If it doesn't work and you sit on your useless pile of vitamin pills, 100$ wasted is a lot. But if it does work, and you compare it to your monthly consumption, it's not much. Me for instance I'll have my money worth after 19 days.
Somewhere in the range of 70-80 USD... if I'm being indulgent. Usually. Sometimes less... I think I spent maybe 50-60 on last month, but I got fed from outside sources a couple times and was splurging on some snack foods. Hundred a month would be a celebration month of some sort, heh. Most of the price points I've heard so far are definitely below national average, s'just, well, so am I. I'd be losing a notable amount of money, but presumably gaining on convenience and probably health.

Diet's not exactly balanced, which is part of the low expenditure. Covered that earlier in the thread, ha. Could get by around the same level in the area I'm living with a diet less reliant on vitamin supplements for health, though. Likely easily if you're living in an area you can do some low-key food gardening without a heavy water/etc. cost.

This stuff is kinda' tempting, yeah. Much less effort for something... complete. Definitely interested, but also intending to wait for a while and see how things go once it's settled into production and tested a bit more.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

If I live moderately, my daughter, my girlfriend and I spend about $140 a month on food. We've lived a little bit extravagantly over the past couple months, but I'm running out of money quickly and that's about to end harshly.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:34 pm »

My wife is a spoiled foodie, so we spend waaaay too much on food.  She was raised through most of her childhood by her grandparents.  Her grandmother made multiple-course southern home-cooked meals every day, and many dishes completely from scratch.  Before her grandparents adopted her, she sometimes stole dog food from her neighbor's dog to survive.  Thanks to all that, she's super serious about food and will throw up if forced to eat something she doesn't like.

I go along with it, because eating separately from the rest of the family is too much of a hassle.  This stuff would make it easy for me to eat separately and cheaper.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:50 am »

If I live moderately, my daughter, my girlfriend and I spend about $140 a month on food.

Damn! Makes me question my buying habits. I always have fresh fruit around and substituted milk with soy milk, but that can't be it. I'll blame it on vast differences in living expenses...
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38